Skip to main content

Plant based Street Directories

More
1 year 9 months ago #237093 by wee-allis
It used to be that somewhere in every Gregories, on some of the maps a street was shown that didn't exist. Apparently this was done as a secret check to see if someone was pirating their maps. Over the years I only found 2 and they showed up when I was looking for a certain address.

Not knowing the reason, I complained to the company about being inaccurate, That's when they explained the situation. Cunning buggers,
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237102 by Mrsmackpaul
Some years ago I saw a Steco road atlas/street directory for Melbourne so I snapped it up

Worn out but a interesting read and Melbourne was so small

Dad told me that when he drove taxis for a while the Melways people paid taxi drivers if they found a fault and reported it

I think Dads old Melays was the 2nd edition , 1967 or 68, not sure, was the year my sister was norn or the following year

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237103 by overnite
My 1960 Gregory’s Sydney street directory that I’ve had for years. It tells me that the Sydney metropolitan area stops at Blacktown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237104 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Plant based Street Directories
This is a great story on Melway- in a Sydney newspaper!.

www.smh.com.au/entertainment/the-melways...20160413-go5cvn.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
1 year 9 months ago #237105 by jon_d
With all the Covid caused ambo driver shortages in Melbourne, they are calling on external organizations to drive the ambulances.
A mate is in the Red Cross and does a lot of first aid events. He's now a volunteer ambulance driver....

Well, part of his training and certification was to successfully navigate across Melbourne only using a Melways. He was ok, but the young'ns had no idea.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237106 by jon_d

Not knowing the reason, I complained to the company about being inaccurate, That's when they explained the situation. Cunning buggers,

Also used by architects and builders to prove that someone has copied their plans. The second builder includes the little nook that is there by "mistake".
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237109 by hayseed

I still use a UBD/Gregory's Adelaide street directory. It's all that i use. A lot of people laugh at me, but it works, and i know how to use it. In fact a new/latest edition is on my shopping list week.

Sounds like my Kids. :woohoo: :silly: I tell them; the only GPS I have is Between My Ears..!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237111 by 180wannabe
When GPS/autosteer first became popular in tractors, i had people asking me what brand of GPS i had to be able to sow a paddock round and round so accurately? (rather than up and back) I told them "optical".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 9 months ago #237114 by Morris
I remember all the brands mentioned, except Stega.
About 30 years ago, we needed a street directory where I was working. The boss sent the only person in our department of 23, not to have a drivers licence to buy one. She bought the cheapest she could find. I think it was a UBD. It was bloody useless, the pages did not follow in a logical or geographic order.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237143 by Mrsmackpaul
I agree Morris, thats one of the reasons the Melways was so successful and the different colours used made it really easy to distinguish all the features

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds