Skip to main content

Dates, Centuries and Y2K

More
1 year 9 months ago #237385 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
And do you remember the s...fight over whether 2000 or 2001 was the start of the new century? Even seemingly intelligent people could not grasp the fact the 365 days of 2000 had to be completed before going on to the next 100.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237390 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K

And do you remember the s...fight over whether 2000 or 2001 was the start of the new century? Even seemingly intelligent people could not grasp the fact the 365 days of 2000 had to be completed before going on to the next 100.

Lang

O'K Lang, I'll Bite........:woohoo:

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Is actually Ten Digits (or Numbers)

Therefore from; Zero(0) to Ninety Nine(99) is One Hundred(100) numbers/Digits..

Therefore the year 2020 is the Beginning of the 21st Century.....!!

Flax Jacket On & prepared for incoming Fire.... :lol:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 9 months ago #237391 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Well, look at it this way,
It WAS twenty two odd years ago, we're still here, but the only thing for certain is we WON'T be here for the next!
Dave_64

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237394 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
I had to report to numerous customers about their lifts. All the relay logic stuff didn't care. The only computerised stuff at the time would store errors in "minutes ago", or "days, hours, etc since turned on". Most of it has dates now.
Last time I looked, the old main lifts at Brisbane Private Hospital (former Holy Spirit) still had the y2k tick stickers visible inside. The lifts were installed about 1967 and have no circuit boards in the controls.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by asw120.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237396 by Lang
Not you too Hayseed.

We start at zero and for 365 days we are in the first year, we do not start the second year until the first year is completed

At the end of the 99th year we have only completed 99 years but still have 365 days to run to complete the 100th year and reach the end of the Century - during the year 2000 (which is the last year to finish the 1900 set)

At midnight on 31 December 2000 we have completed 100 years and start the new century on the first day of 2001.

Line up 10 glasses and start dripping water into them while calling", one, one, one... 365 times and "bingo" as it reaches the top. The next drip starts in the second glass "two, two, two , "Bingo". After the 9th "bingo" the drips start in the 10th glass and you start calling "ten,ten, ten 365 times until you call "bingo" to complete the set. The set is not finished until filling the tenth glass is completed.

Ever wonder why Australia became a Nation in 1901 and not 1900?

I think the confusion with computers etc may possibly be not the actual new century date but the fact the first two figures are 20 instead of 19 - even while we were still in the old century.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237398 by Mrsmackpaul
Exactly Lang

Or at least that is how I understood it to be, and Jarrod I do recall similar drama with government customers of crappy old relay logic lifts, our word wasnt good enough, paper work and lots of it solved the problem

A good example really of the media getting a story completely ballsed up

Most industrial things didn't use a date at all, however somethings did and the effort as I recall it was sorting out what did or didn't use a date for its control

A lot of drama for all involved

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 9 months ago #237399 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K

Terry

Was it actually a "bug" or just to do with dates and clocks in systems not understanding the change over to a new century not being catered for in their original programming?

Lang

There was no Bug, it was an unintended circumstance of trying to save space whether it was disk space or memory in earlier computers where it was both expensive and limited.

Thus to store any date, say 1975, then 75 was more economical than storing 1975, as it was two digits less and as the end of the century approached it was realised that processing wouldn't be able to distinguish between 1900 and 2000 if both were stored as 00. The solution was every use of a Date had to be reviewed to determine if the use of two digits to represent the year would cause a problem in its intended use or not. For instances where it would be an issue then changes to the way the date was being stored or the processing that used the date had to be made.

It was never a technically difficult issue to solve, it was the sheer volume of code to be reviewed and subsequent volume of changes that needed to be made by a fixed deadline, one that couldn't be delayed.

Bugs as we call them may have been introduced into code as a result of these changes to fix issues with dates, but there was never a Y2K Bug as such that needed to be fixed.

The next date issue coming is 2038, the one Bparo mentions is still a result of a space issue, where there was only 32 digits available to store the date starting from 1st January 1970 and the odometer runs out of digits in 2038. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem and yet again it is still called a Bug. :( It is a bit like saying trucks of the 1940's have a bug because they didn't have the horsepower that is available today.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237400 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K

Not you too Hayseed.

Lang, It Looks like we might have to ; Agree to disagree...!!

However Ponder this..

1) 2000
2) 2001
3) 2002
4) 2003
5) 2004
6) 2005
7) 2006
8 ) 2007
9) 2008
10) 2009.

100) 2099

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237402 by Lang
Sorry Hayseed you started in the last century ie minus one. You will see this if you go back in your numbers to the moment God said let there be light! To save you a few sums just go back to JC's balancing act. If you start at absolute zero the end of year one is 12 months after the flash and the end of the first century is end of the year 100 ie 100 full years have passed.

Using my water glass example do you claim there are ten full glasses the moment the first drip goes into number 10?

We can talk about this all we like but it is absolutely not open to reasonable discussion as it is just straight mathematics, you do not have the luxury of agreeing to disagree.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237404 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
I got fired from the calendar factory

All I did was take a day off
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds