Skip to main content

Dates, Centuries and Y2K

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237450 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Hi,

I think the confusion between the two sides of the discussion is the difference between measuring something using a unit of measure(in this case time) and counting something in Years. Year, month,week,day,hour,minute and second are units of measure of time while counting years involves whole numbers, integers if you like. The thing with measuring is you can't have a 0 unit of measure, e.g. Zero kilograms or Zero Hours, you have to drop down to the next unit of measure.

Lang is measuring time while Hayseed is counting years, specific to the millennium date is whether there was a year 0 or we started at year 1, see below. So technically both Lang and Hayseed are correct, and I am not just saying that so you all go back to talking about trucks. :)

The egg analogy is useful in that you are counting eggs, an integer, not measuring them by how many of the layers or unique elements of the egg are combined to make up the egg. Is it not an egg until all those elements exist? Going further put 12 eggs in a Carton and you have a carton of eggs, put seven eggs in a carton and do you still a have carton of eggs? So you can counting how many eggs are in a carton and measure a carton by the number of units(eggs) in the carton.

For the birthdate example if you are 6 months old(a unit of measure) then you are in in your first year but you are not 1 year old(counting). Year 1 and 1 year are not the same thing.

For more on the difference between measuring and counting try and get your head around this, math.stackexchange.com/questions/2094726...unting-and-measuring

For the debate on which end of 2000 did we start the Millennium then this discusses both sides of the debate but it still comes down to counting versus measuring, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium

Terry
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: added wikipedia link which I missed in first post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237451 by Mrsmackpaul

The first century didn't have any century ones in it until it got to 100 because the years were only part of a century starting from zero. The year 100 is the number that makes up the first century.

The second century had all ones in until 200 it but it was called the second century. The number 200 is the last year that makes up that century

The eighteenth century had all seventeens in it until it got to 1800. The number 1800 is the last year that makes up its century.,

All of this bit I understand and agree with

Because we arent one year old until we have lived for one year and so on

I remember my boy as a teenager saying he was gunna be 16 next year, trying to sound all very grown up when he had only turned 14 a week or so earlier

His birthday is the 28th December and we must of just clicked over the new year

I thought to my self, you clever bugger

Anyways a lot of this stuff is how you look at it

Brocky might be able to explain how you can buy and take delivery of a 2023 Mack in the states in when we are still in 2022

Makes no sense at all to me

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 9 months ago #237453 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Thanks Terry for trying to pour oil on troubled waters unfortunately the "depends on how you count it" is not a possibility and anything other than 1-100 be it time, blocks, eggs or rabbits to reach a century is wishful thinking.

I should have said this first before trying to explain. Google "What day does a century start" and you will find hundreds of answers all saying 1/1/01. These are from everybody ranging through government sites, university maths departments, historians and just people who can count. There is no claim on 1/1/00 being the date other than Twitter influencers.

Last post - my dog is cringing waiting for the boot up the bum.

Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237454 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Just before I pick up my crayon and shuffle to the back of the class and then slide down the axe handle to the blunt end, if a month ends at the end of the last day, how come a year doesn't end on the last day of December and a decade/century end on the last day of December in the 10th/100th year.

I know I'm too stupid to understand, but that's ok, I don't understand computers either and trhat doesn't bother me.

Another thought, did we celebrate our Bi-Centenial one year too early? Just asking.

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237456 by Lang
The year does end at the END of the last day in December. What deranged News Eves parties have you been attending?

The decade ends exactly the same at the END of the last day of the 10th 100th etc year.

The bicentennial was on time. 1776 was year one. Allowing for whatever time Governor Philip raised the flag before retiring to the piss-up we take 1 second past midnight 26 January as the start of day one year one. Along with the 1847/19th Century naming rule the first year ended in 1789 If you just start counting using that as your commencement you will see all is well and we did not stuff it up.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237457 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K

1776 was year one. .

Lang is this a Typo..? or is it correct.?

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
1 year 9 months ago #237459 by Lang
Sorry George Washington made me do it. I did get the next one right with 1789 but no excuses.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237464 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K

WhyIsItSo

we all kno wot we got here .... 10 digits 8 fingers n 2 thumbs also known as 10 fingers

count backwards, pointing to the fingers of the left hand: "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six
Then hold up your right hand and say: "Five fingers on this hand. Five plus six makes eleven!

Seems ligit ......... all adds up

LOL

cya

I've got another completely legit one for ya Swishy ...

How many tails does One Cat have ???

The answer is 3 ...

Correct me if I'm wrong ..but ...

One cat has one more tail than no cat ...correct ???

And No Cat has 2 tails .... Correct ???

Therefore ... If One Cat has one more tail than No Cat ... The answer must be 3 ...

:blink: :blink: :woohoo: :evil: :whistle: :whistle:

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
1 year 9 months ago #237465 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Lang, as my grandson says," That 'splains it Poppy".
I'll go down the shed and beat myself up for publicly declaring my stupidity.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 9 months ago #237467 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Dates, Centuries and Y2K
Only in Quinslund
LOL

Some tourists in the Museum of Natural History are marveling at some dinosaur bones. One of them asks the guard, "Can you tell me how old the dinosaur bones are?"

The guard replies, "They are 65,000,011 years old."

"That's an awfully exact number," says the tourist. "How do you know their age so precisely?"

The guard answers, "Well, the dinosaur bones were sixty five million years old when I started working here, and that was eleven years ago.

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, V8Ian, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds