Skip to main content

What to do with our toys ?

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238173 by cobbadog
A while ago there was a hot topic on what do we do with ours toys if Family dont want them? Do you have a fire sale when you realise that you are right at the end if life? Donate them to a Club or dare I say Museum?
One of the hardest things was to donate them to a Museum. Some are very grateful and take the toys and display or store them, may do nothing nwith them for years then find they are in the way and sell them off when what you wanted was for the toys to be preserved and shown to the Public.
Maybe a Club might find members who are keen to do the right thing or raffle them off, find a new young member to encourage them to be involved with the hobby. But still no garrentees they will stay with the Club.
Final thought is pick the eyes out of the collection and sell off the rest while you can and make your own life more comfy.

Any other thoughts?
P.S. no I'm not crook or anything just sometimes whats left of my mind wonders a bit.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pierre

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238174 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic What to do with our toys ?
I reckon when you are dead you are dead.

My idea is to have 15 unfinished projects, a shed full of crap, vehicles parked wherever and they can sort it out.

The biggest rort is this Funeral Insurance BS. A couple of very bad actors seriously discussing the "problem" of leaving the family with a $5,000 funeral bill and how they should stretch their pension to "save them the worry". FFS the little bastards are going to get a million dollar home and they have to be saved from a funeral!

I often have visitors look at all my stuff in the shed and say "What is going to happen when you die or go into a nursing home. Are you going to start cleaning it out?" Once again, FFS, they are going to get a million dollar home and they are not prepared to spend a weekend with a trailer taking it to auction or the dump?

I could not give a rats. My stuff is my stuff to enjoy until the boatman pushes off to cross the River Styx by which time I no longer have a need for it. If you have a special child or grandchild genuinely interested then that is a great result but most of us do not.

Just my thoughts. Others might want to leave a legacy but as Cobba says museums are run by volunteers who really have no interest in where stuff comes from and often know nothing about the exhibit.

I recently went to a garage sale where the daughter and her husband were selling off Dad's very well equipped workshop including machinery, tools and a couple of vehicles. The vultures arrived and this pair were accepting all and any offer and gloating as the thieves carried off their prizes and they stuffed the cash in their pocket. Meanwhile Dad was sitting at the rear leaning on his walking stick watching his life's work being vacuumed up for peanuts. I have never seen a sadder man or felt sadder in my life. The bastards could not even wait until he died.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Normanby, overlander, 77louie400, Pierre, Tacho, V8Ian

More
1 year 8 months ago #238176 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic What to do with our toys ?
Has crossed my mind too cobbadog & Lang. :unsure:
The move away from petrol and its rising cost just adds another consideration to the issue as well guys.
Pierre

Pierre
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago #238177 by Mrsmackpaul
Well Im not selling none of my stuff why am alive unless I want to sell it, but I plan on having it to the end and then I wont be around to worry about it

Thats me though, I dont care if my gear rust into the ground, it's mine and my life and every other joker can bugger off

I'm sure I'll get screwed over before I pop my clogs but until then thats my plan, gunna hang onto it until Im gone

Makes no sense to the a lot of people but thats their problem

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Inter-Action, Lang, Normanby, Pierre, grandad

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238182 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic What to do with our toys ?

I reckon when you are dead you are dead.

My idea is to have 15 unfinished projects, a shed full of crap, vehicles parked wherever and they can sort it out.

etc etc etc ... ...

... ...
Lang

^ THIS! ^

I plan on driving vehicles until well after the gendarmes say I can't ... ... ... or shouldn't ....

That said, I have been cleaning out the sheds a bit lately, coz I figure I'll need a bit more space to get around on the wheelchair ...
Petrol prices are not relevant. Petrol is still the same price in real terms as it was when I started driving.
Used to cost me 5 hours wages for a full tank in my car, and now it costs 5 hours wages for a full tank in my car, and the car I have now goes three times further on that tank than my earlier car, so that means I can spare some fuel for my old banger truck.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Eddy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Lang, oliver1950

More
1 year 8 months ago #238184 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic What to do with our toys ?
This is a serious question and I do not know what to do with mine. My Granddaughters are not interested. I have put a condition in my Will that all my Morris stuff (a few cars and utes and a couple of trucks plus my library of technical books) is to go to a one-make club I have been a member of for many years. Everything else will go to my Wife who will probably give all my shed contents to my Mate who does not really want it but will take it as a favour to her.

I have started selling off and giving away many of my things that I will never use, after a lifetime of scrimping and saving to buy it all.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
1 year 8 months ago #238187 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic What to do with our toys ?
Seen some disturbing sights at funerals regarding a/holes crowding around the widow and family trying to get first go at stuff the deceased had ........Bobby Addison s funeral was dozens of thieves trying to get a go at all the NOS Ford Mercury blocks and heads he had...........you simply couldnt get near the family to offer condolences,and his wife was very distressed ...........another bad one was Alan Chance's funeral ,the thieves wanted a go at the Norton motorbike stuff he had....widow got cheated out of a lot of valuable parts .

More
1 year 8 months ago #238188 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic What to do with our toys ?
We're all on the same page basically.

When one of the kids asked what I was going to do with it all I said, "Won't be my problem and when you let it go for scrap I'll be looking down on you, laughing at what you're missing out on because you don't have a clue what a lot of it's worth!"

That being said I am progressively letting some go to finance the Bedford build; after that is done I can go back to the Herald and finish it off; and if there is still life in my aching body maybe even resurrect my V6 Trimodore just for kicks . . . :silly:

If one of them even showed a modicum of interest now, so would I later possibly - but other than that I don't give a rats!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 8 months ago #238189 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic What to do with our toys ?
Simple Answer

Don't go

LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #238191 by 77louie400

Simple Answer

Don't go

LOL