Skip to main content

What to do with our toys ?

More
1 year 8 months ago #238192 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic What to do with our toys ?
My will gives everything to my wife and if she has gone before me 4 specific items to a museum that wants them now but everything else is to be auctioned. If someone wants it they can buy it and if they are listed to benefit from my estate they will get the % back as cash later - simple.
My Wife's will is currently a mirror image of mine so if someone wants to claim that one of us died 30 seconds before the other they end up losing the amount of the legal fees.
Of course one advantage of having a modified vehicle is I can swap out the 350 SBC and fuel tank for an electric motor and batteries and keep going but it wouldn't sound right

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238197 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic What to do with our toys ?
Hi,

when putting my will together a few years back I was advised not to put specific items in the Will to be left to someone and to keep things in percentage or general terms, i.e 100% to the partner or 50% to each child sort of thing and if I had specific things to go to specific people then write them down as 'Instructions to Executors', or something similarly named. The example given was if you write in the Will that Car A goes to the Son and Car B goes to the Daughter then along the way you sell Car A and maybe replace it with something else, or not, and then you die without updating the Will, the Son will get nothing.

So my 'Instructions' is a growing list of particular vehicles or items that go to the people that I want them to go to for whatever reason and incudes a list of people, lets call them vultures, who are to be ignored and not to be involved in anyway. The first list of people is quite short, the second list of people grows almost daily. :) I also have other stuff here that belongs to other people so I have labelled or I am itemising these things so they can come and retrieve what is rightfully their without too much stress.

Unlike replies here where they are leaving their collections and assets for someone else to clean up, I have seen a good friend of mine stuck in WA for nearly 5 years as Executor of a his mates estate which included numerous mining leases, mining equipment and vehicles and other assets so my approach is to simplify it as much as possible for whoever is really doing me a favour when I am gone. It is going to take them more than a weekend with a trailer to clear my collection and I am not particularly bothered by the vehicles, they will find new owners, but the collection of historical or archival stuff that I have I want to make sure it is going to go to the right person and not chucked in the bin because some of what I have can't be found elsewhere. And I have told my Executors to make sure they reimburse their costs and pay themselves something from the estate because it will be time consuming and it will feel like a job at times.

And there is also a good feeling to give or sell something to a friend and seeing them enjoy using it or restoring it or whatever, particularly if it is just sitting in storage here not likely to get any attention, and it is hard to enjoy that if you're already dead.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 8 months ago #238200 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic What to do with our toys ?
Our family when Ma n Pa were still with us we always light heartedly joked about their Will. I had 4 sisters and no brothers atthe time so I said that I will make it easy and take everything in the garage, not the car, and all that is stored under the house. All of this was tools and blokes stuff. The girls got everything inside the house as I could never see myself drinking from fancy tea cups the size of an egg cup. Well asthings turned out Ma passed away then Pa lived another 10 years until his passing. The Will was read by the Solicitor and eldest sister and I were execeters. Pa had sorted out the finances and how it was to be spread around the mob including Grandkids. But as stated I got the blokes stuff the the remaining 3 sisters got the tupperware and crappy tea services. Everyone was happy as and after all that there were things left over so sister and I offered item for sale and split the proceeds with the other 2 sisters and after that the Op shop won out. It all was very civil and easy to do.
Well with our situation Dee and I made it simple each toi each other but the toys have never been thought about. So I do have an excess of some things and will work on them later in the year and unload them to fund current toys that will be staying around for a long time. Should I have to hand in my HR license then I guess Lorry will be sold and if he goes so will David. That then leaves the stationary engines and mowers that can still be carted in the Hiace and trailer. Again these can hang around for a long time except the big CD 8hp Lister it will be up for sale one day it is just too big and heavy to handle now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238202 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic What to do with our toys ?
My just thinking about myself approach, not having a plan for my toys, got pulled up short by clear sighted Mrs Sarge, she didn't want the clean up job for herself of our kids. CLEAN IT UP NOW..... so under orders did some tidying, and with her assistance did a heap more, then again after a prod, called my scrappie mate for the old header and stuff..... over $2,000 in my pocket, place looks very tidy, truck, tractor some old phutt phutt motors and working farm equipment now have proper breeding space (should that be breathing?) Mrs is happier, and i dont realy miss those projects I was never going to get to.

I had the fun of selling some stuff I got for peanuts for real money, and the pleasure of the cleaned up spaces.

Now I need a breeders sale not too far away.....just for therapy.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238203 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic What to do with our toys ?

Simple Answer

Don't go

LOL

I agree, I plan to live forever. So far so good!

You won't know if you have

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238207 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic What to do with our toys ?
The main worry seems to be leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. I have already addressed children etc receiving the lot and how they should be grateful for the value even if not wanting the items to keep.

The other worry is if just mum is left with a pile of stuff (or the kids are in Perth or New York). Every town has a "two men and a Ute" operation and for the more avid collectors I am sure there would be a "4 men and a Semi Trailer" company. These people will clean up any mess for very good rates and all of them will do it for free or even pay if there is scrap or attractive items in the load. All mum has to do is point.

So to ease your conscience while continuing with your interests get a few phone numbers for the fridge door and even get them to do a pre-inspection so you can lay down the ground rules.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds