Skip to main content

How to preserve my restored truck out in the open

More
13 years 6 months ago #35845 by Humehwy
I have had my truck repainted and I'm getting closer to have it on the road my biggest problem at the moment is storage.
I'm not able to have it at home but have it around the corner at a storage place out in the open.
I live near the sea and rust is a huge problem for me what I have been doing so far is putting some good polish on it every couple of months and I just bought a 4wdrive car cover for the cab and fitted it today.
Any thoughts on spraying the cab with fish oil, proberly the chassis as well.
If anyone has a Ls 1418 light surround in good condition that would be great as well.
Humehway.[img][/img]

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35846 by Humehwy

More
13 years 6 months ago #35847 by Assessor
Mate i feel for ya, thats gota be a hassle, looks real smick too! Ive had to keep some good cars outside same deal [not by the sea though] i did the same good polish, wax and cover, got to keep the cover from rubbing in the wind, there can be a problem with certain types of material, i done it for a year, with constant removal of the cover and washing it worked ok, i got sick of buying covers as they didnt last long, soon as i left them with no cover, it all went bad!! duno about the fish oil, it could be hard to get off later, best of luck

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #35848 by bigcam
Humey, I've got a similar problem, I've got a 18m long shelter shed out the back of my shed, enclosed on 3 sides, they arn't particualy expensive. My problem is, because we make things out of steel, I've got blokes cutting and grinding, and it all floats up in the air and settlles everywhere in a big radious. My road Boss felt like sand paper before the Beenliegh show. The dust setlles then in QLD, even the humidity gets it damp and it turns to shite. I bought large car covers off supercheap which fit loosely, and put that over my trucks. You want to be carefull you don't cover them up to tight and they "sweat" under the cover. Those shade shelter sheds are pretty reasonble if you've gopt a spare patch of dirt at your work. If your going to spray anything on it, ask a few painters what they would use. I've seen Diesel used, but it may stain if you've just had it painted. Maybe ask around if your in a couple of VIC clubs, you may be able to ask a cocky in a dry place closish to hom,e if you can rent a bit of storage.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by bigcam.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35849 by Assessor
The sweating was a problem,that's why i constantly uncovered and washed the vehicle, i also had reasonable success with one of those cheap carports too! [ the tent type ones, cause it rains 9 months of the year down here ,they were constantly rotting cam, it ended up cheaper to pay for covered storage, i too have probs with floating grinding particles, they end up rusting on to the paint [nasty stuff]

More
13 years 6 months ago #35850 by Sarge
there was an article on Land Line a year or so back about a product made in Qld from Lanolin, the bloke collected it as a waste product from a wool scourer any hoo... he sparyed it on all sorts of gear with amazing results, including an out in the open bare metal car beside the Brisbane river, and left it to the gods, year or so later the panel beater just sprayed the car with new paint.

The Lanolin dried properly, didnt effect existing paint, gloss finish etc etc... some superphosphate mine mobs used it to protect their working grear and got three times the life of other products....

the list of success went on... I have looked to buy the stuff down here but not identified it, but see lanolin now as an additive to some "protective" sprays....

Good Luck Humey... well worth the effort.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 6 months ago #35851 by greenie
Hey Sarge, this the stuff your on about ?

www.lanotec.com.au/?link=10

regards greenie

More
13 years 6 months ago #35852 by 70499
..another idea???

www.couplertec.com.au/

&&1959 Mercedes L319

More
13 years 6 months ago #35853 by kennymopar2
underneath and on inner panels etc ive been using "fergusons" its a mixture of lanoline-fishoil & i think tar..its not to bad & so far has been working good for me .. but ive no idea for what to use on a upper painted surface as the others say lanoline?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 6 months ago #35854 by Swishy

* Sarge
Me thinks the inventors of this wunder juice (Lanolin) dates back to when sheep farmers noticed sheep gates n hardware never rusted
Az sheep constantly rubb n against the steel bits of gate the wool grease (Lanolin) got rubbed into all the gates n equipment
We have tried use n the lanolin to put on chains n dogs from new to stop rusting, they were greasy for a while n then it all rubbd or washed off
so we dont use lanolin nomore
we have moved upmarket n use XTROLL RUST CONQUEROR on any rusty parts n so far so good, better than lanolin

www.internati.com.au/Industry/Paints-&-C...verter-Groupings.htm

Covering vehicle paint with lanolin for storage may B Ok provinding nothing rubs the lanolin off like a car cover etc

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds