Skip to main content

Truck vs Bike

More
13 years 5 months ago #39094 by Assessor
Replied by Assessor on topic Re: Truck vs Bike
This fella has been lucky indeed, duno who,s fault it was, sounds like typical truckies to blame the bike, crossing the line, I've spent over 35 years on bikes, seen plenty of idiots on em...........mind you seen plenty of $hit truck drivers too, coming down the mountain's crossing the lines as-well, hasn't put me off trucks or bikes...................................poor bloke probably run through some oil leaked out of a dirty old cummins ;) ;) ;)
Here's where iam at when iam not trucking!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #39095 by
Replied by on topic Re: Truck vs Bike
My brother had a couple of mates back in the late 1950's and one of them had a Norton Dominator. They went for a ride, wrapped the throttle on, and fed it to it. They hit a car when they were doing 80mph (130kmh).
The pillion passenger was wearing a beaut big solid leather jacket (and no helmets on either of them, of course) .. and when he came off, he skated up the bitumen on his back for 200 yds. The leather jacket was worn right through to his skin, but he never lost any skin off his back. There was the usual broken wrists and collarbones, but they lived to tell the tale.

When I was about 10, we lived about 11 miles (18kms) North of Perth in rural country. The road past the farm hadn't long been sealed, and from our farm Eastwards, there were two big sweeping bends, and then a 10 mile nearly dead-flat, straight. It was a favorite haunt of speed demons.
One Sunday, just before lunch, we were all sitting in the front yard of the house, when we heard this motorbike coming from the East.
It was absolutely screaming, pedal-to-the-metal, as flat-out as you could get it.
There was a small hill above the house where the S-bend started, and we all looked up, waiting to see what this bike was doing, as it came around the bends and over the hill. However, the noise stopped abruptly, and a huge cloud of dust appeared in the air at the top of the hill!

We all jumped in the brothers FB Holden wagon and raced up the road, Eastwards, to the top of the hill.
We found a motorbike lying on its side, on the RHS of the road, and two blokes.
One was lying down, and one was staggering around. The bloke staggering around was more worried about his bike, than any injury he might have incurred. He was saying "My BIKE! - My BIKE!! - Is my bike O.K.!!!?? .. "

After we made sure he wasn't badly injured, and checked his passenger, who was just coming around, after being knocked out .. my brothers went and checked the bike. It didn't look too bad, until they lifted it and stood it up! .. :(

The story was, the bike owner had owned the bike, a brand-new BSA, for only 2 hours! They had decided to "try it out" on the 10-mile stretch! They had been doing around 90mph when they entered the first bend, made it around that one .. but ran wide on the second (RH) bend, and left the road!

Right where they left the road was the biggest Jarrah mill-stump you could ever find! It was about 8' (2.5M) across! These blokes had hit the mill stump with the LHS of the bike .. and it had absolutely demolished the entire LHS of the bike! How they didn't lose their legs is beyond me. I think the initial impact must have thrown them up and off.

We picked them up and took them back to town .. and the pillion passenger was complaining about some neck stiffness.
We found out later, he didn't visit a Doc until later in the week, when the Doc told him he had a broken collarbone!! :D

More
13 years 5 months ago #39096 by Assessor
Replied by Assessor on topic Re: Truck vs Bike
Ive had a few spills over the years Ron, hit a car once when i was 18,[not my fault shella cut me off] flew over the roof,landed on the other side of the car in the gutter, result "broken leg" knack3red bike, loo-kin back i think the worst part was when she ran over to assist me, in a mad panic tryin to to me helmet off!

but it was still done up :D :D

bet ya mate wishes he still had his dominator!
[very collectible nowadays]

cheers Adam

More
13 years 5 months ago #39097 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Truck vs Bike
the road from nowendoc to gloucester is the worst "thunderbolts way" i think one of the mountains your going down (or up) from around 1400metres to 300 metres,,in the old days with a petrol acco i had to use first gear (bugger all engine braking),also as previously mentioned there are some hairpin turns .. i did loose my brakes once in a old chrysler centura . . when you turn onto the buckets way it gets better but not much :-?

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds