Skip to main content

MECHANICAL SIGNAL ARMS AND ROOF LIGHTS

More
13 years 2 months ago #44332 by Commrail
Dear Members,

I'm new to the H.C.V.C. site and am something of a novice when it comes to trucks. I hope members might be able to assist me with my queries.

I would like to know when mechanical signal arms were first fitted to the doors of trucks in South Australia and the date (approx) when the practice was discontinued. In N.S.W., a transition period existed into the late 1960s during which time vehicles were fitted with both signal arms and light indicators. Did a similar period prevail in S.A.?

Aged in my late 50s, I recall seeing orange lights on antennae-like structures fixed to the roof of trucks in N.S.W. Were vehicles in South Australia similarly equipped? Was this lighting arrangement confined to trucks on interstate runs? When was it introduced and when was it discontinued (approx)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I apologise if the topic has been covered previously.

Kind regards,

Commrail

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #44333 by
Commrail - The fitting of the first mechanical hand signals to trucks in S.A. would be very difficult to pin down.
The first mechanical hand signalling devices would have appeared in the early 1920's as individual manufacturers options, or standard fit.

The individual States, first, or early versions of their "Road Traffic Acts", would possibly have had the requirement of a mechanical hand signal, to be fitted to trucks, written in.
I can't tell you when this happened exactly in S.A., but I would expect their first Traffic Act was written around about the mid-1920's.
(Edit - Just found out, that the earliest S.A. Traffic Act version, in 1906, was the "Motor Traffic Regulation Act", and it was administered by the Treasury! .. so they had their hands in motorists pockets, right from the word go! .. ;D )
It would be an exercise in Traffic Act research to find out when the mechanical signalling requirement actually was written in. It may not have been until the late 1930's.
Even then, the requirement would only have been for new vehicles, and older vehicles without mechanical signalling devices, would still have been allowed to operate.

The whole signalling system requirements across Australia was somewhat ad-hoc for a long time, up to around just after WW2, with (human arm) hand signals being regarded as adequate signalling, for many years.
It was only when traffic levels started to become heavy in many areas, that a need was seen for improved signalling devices.

In addition, the main driver for electrical signalling devices was the elimination of having to remove a hand from the steering or other controls, to signal.
In a truck, where a couple of gearchanges might be required in a turn .. as well as turning the wheel, AND giving a hand signal .. this was a real problem.

It's highly likely that a similar period of transition from mechanical to electric turn signals, happened in S.A., as in N.S.W.
Going on memory, I seem to recall, in W.A., it was about 1957 when "trafficators" became compulsory for new cars .. but trucks were allowed a longer period to meet the regulations.
I can recall many trucks still only fitted with, and using, mechanical hand signals in the period from the late 1950's, to about 1964.
Surprisingly, you'll find that mechanical signalling devices are still legal under the various States Traffic Acts.

The lights on "antennae" that you ask about, were factory fit to many trucks as cab clearance lights in the 1950's and 1960's.
These were required to indicate with amber lights, to oncoming vehicles, the full width of the truck, including any body.

These lights were on stalks that could pivot if hit by low branches, thus reducing any possible damage to the lights.
These lights weren't confined to interstate-only trucks .. but interstate truck operators were noted for being the first with fancy attachments .. and lots of lights .. both clearance and road lighting .. were always an interstaters favourite.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44334 by Rusty Engines
In a truck, where a couple of gearchanges might be required in a turn .. as well as turning the wheel, AND giving a hand signal .. this was a real problem.

This reminds me when I drove my aunties Vanguard (the one with the round back) it had right a hand gear change leaver and it was fun trying to give a hand signals and change gears at the same time
Ian

More
13 years 2 months ago #44335 by greenie

This reminds me when I drove my aunties Vanguard (the one with the round back) it had right a hand gear change leaver and it was fun trying to give a hand signals and change gears at the same time
Ian

Yep, but they had the little arm that popped out in between the doors at about 3 ft of the ground, there was a little chromed lever, just above the horn, that you flicked left or right, whatever way you wanted to turn. That aloud you to change gears and still signal your intentions.

Learnt to drive one of them when I was only about 14, my father had a crook ticker and loved to go fishing, so had to have someone get us home.

The other good thing about them old pregnant pasties, was the motor, if anything went wrong, just look around some cockies paddock for the old grey fergy, same motor and associated bits and pieces. ::)

Back on subject, the semaphore arm had just been replaced by the indicators when I eventually got my heavy licence. Remember as a kid in Melbourne, that the coppers on point duty in the middle of Melbourne's main intersections, were always on the look out for some smart arse truck driver trying to take their hat of with that arm.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
13 years 2 months ago #44336 by Commrail
Thank you onetrack for putting the subject in historical context. I had no idea that mechanical signal arms may have been in operation for so long.

Thanks too to Rusty Engines and greenie for their interesting contributions.

Any more thoughts on the subject would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Commrail

More
13 years 2 months ago #44337 by geoffb
Those little pop out arms were quite common especially on early pommy stuff But people would pull them out without being on which lead to them failing (A40 Vangaurds Morris & etc) I can not actually remember the last on I saw working. As for the mechanical arm that had two positions push the button down and the arm up meant stop or the arm out right turn. (Not being that old have only read about these things)
Geoffb

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #44338 by
Commrail- Doing some research in the older newspapers, leads me to believe that the mechanical hand signalling devices on trucks didn't really appear in force until WW2, or just after WW2.

There were numerous types of directional indicators fitted to cars from the early 1920's. Automatic stop lights started to be fitted when 4-wheel brakes became standard on most vehicles by about 1925.
These were small lights with the words STOP or SLOW on them, separate to the tail light/s. They were deemed necessary, because many drivers with 2-wheel braked cars, ran into the back of 4-wheel braked ones, when they stopped quickly.

I found a 1934 article which discussed at length, about whether the brake stop lights, were a good idea or not .. as they only indicated that the brake pedal was being pushed, and the vehicle wasn't actually stopping! :D

It appears that the introduction of dippable headlights as standard in 1934, also led to much discussion and planning for some laws for the various kinds of turn and stop signalling devices.
However, turn signalling devices appear to be mostly aftermarket devices up until the late 1930's. Stop lights started to become standard fit by the mid-to-late 1930's.
The 1939 Buick was the first vehicle to be fitted with turn indicators as we know them, and all the GM vehicles had them fitted as standard, by 1942.

In 1925, an Irishman, one R. Griffin, produced the idea of the mechanical hand signal, with his design closely resembling the later mechanical truck hand signals.
However, it seems he failed to sell the invention, and his idea basically went nowhere.

The big factor was .. that hand-signalling, by the drivers arm .. was promoted by law, and regarded by the Police, as the primary recognisable method of signalling stops and turns.

Many an accident report in the papers, from the 1920's to even the late 1950's, states that, inadequate hand signalling, was "the primary cause of the accident".
It was compulsory by law, to offer a hand signal, at least 100', before a turn or stop. Many people were lazy at giving hand signals, and wet weather certainly didn't encourage drivers to hand signal.

Another surprise I found, was the number of people who had arms torn off, or badly injured, whilst hand signalling!
It apparently wasn't all that uncommon for a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction, to hit a drivers arm, when signalling to turn right.

I found the interesting article, below, from the Hobart Mercury of Dec 1954 .. that states that "winking indicators", as fitted to a number of new cars, are NOT regarded as a satisfactory method of indicating a turn .. and that a hand signal is still required by law.

Winking Lights Not Recognised

Winking indicator lights on motor vehicles to signify the driver's intention to turn right or left, are not recognised by present traffic laws, said a spokesman for the Road Safety Council yesterday.
These lights are fitted on several makes of modern cars, and controlled generally from the steering column. They blink on and off, at both front and rear, on the side to which the vehicle is going to turn.
Drivers using the lights should ensure that their signals are also given by hand, until such time as the winking lights are recognised as a legal signal.
The more commonly known semaphore type "trafficators" which consist of small arms illuminated at the ends, projecting from the side of a vehicle, meet the requirements of the traffic regulations, as a signalling device to indicate turns to the right or left. The trafficators should not be used as a stop signal.

The primary factor behind the mechanical signalling requirements for trucks, seems to be, that around 1941-42 .. there were laws instituted, that stated that a mechanical signalling device had to be fitted to vehicles, where the load, a trailer, or other obstruction, prevented other road users, from seeing a hand signal clearly.

No doubt this law helped lead to the appearance of the simple mechanical signal that you ask about, after WW2 .. as the hand signalling mechanism was locally produced, and simply constructed .. although in essence, it bore most of the design hallmarks, of the one invented by R. Griffin, in 1925.

Cheers - Ron.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44339 by mammoth
The "stop" position with the hand pointing up also signalled left turn.
The best indicator of when they were in use is to look at old photos where the model of truck can give a general indication of date.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #44340 by
From the Adelaide Advertiser, 23rd Oct 1940 ..

Hand Signals By Truck Drivers

The State Traffic Advisory Committee has informed the Enfield Council, that when it was impracticable for a truck drivers arm to be clearly visible to traffic approaching from behind, the obligation was on the truck driver to install an automatic hand-signalling device that could be seen.
The Road Traffic Act compelled a driver to signal so that the whole of his right arm, not merely his hand, could be clearly visible from 100 feet.
The council has decided to forward a copy of the letter to the Commissioner of Police (Brigadier General R. L. Leane).

And the Commissioners answer, shortly afterwards ..

Traffic Act And Right Hand Signals

The Commissioner of Police (Brig. Gen. R. L. Leane) has advised the Enfield Council that there was nothing in the Roads Traffic Act to compel drivers of motor trucks to provide mechanical signals to indicate right hand turns.
The council, in a letter, directed attention to the difficulty of truck drivers hand signals being seen, by motorists following them.
The council has decided to direct the attention of the Road Traffic Advisory Committee to the matter, and to ask it to urge an amendment to the Act, making it compulsory for the installation of mechanical hands in certain cases.

There are news clippings in other newspapers from other states, from the early 1950's, giving Police and Traffic Dept advice, that a mechanical signalling device was required on a truck, when the body or load was wider than the cab.
This appears to be a direct follow-on from the laws that were enacted in all states by 1941-42, demanding that mechanical signalling devices had to be fitted to trucks where the drivers arm hand signal, could not be seen by motorists following, because of obstruction by the load or body. The mechanical truck hand signalling device, extended considerably further from the cab, than the human arm.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44341 by oldbugger
I remember using the 'arms 1971/2, fitted to a couple of Thames Traders used around Sydney. Hand straight up for stopping and turning left.

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds