Skip to main content

MECHANICAL SIGNAL ARMS AND ROOF LIGHTS

More
13 years 2 months ago #44342 by Sarge
I must be getting old, I can recall the very detailed books/pictures showing the correct use of both mechanical arms and or the drivers arm for turning and stopping... I dont recall if it was when i went for my Licence or as part of my Walloper training... (in those days it was an offence to push a perambulator along a foot path too).

My Old Beddie, one (Uncle) owner since 1950 still has its mechanical arm and no indicators right up until taken off the road in about 1990, it was apparently still roadworthy like that then but could not have been re-registered without indicators.... they seem to be one item that is required when starting new registration now regardless of when the vehicle was made etc.....

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44343 by jeffo
Back in the 60's we were required to have mechanical arms as well as indicators for some strange reason.
The rule only lasted a couple of years and made Dad cry having to drill holes in his doors.
Here's one of my favourites as I haven't seen any L.A.D. Beavers on this site yet.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44344 by Sarge
noice jeffo, very noice

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44345 by mammoth
Nice Beaver, still with it's alloy steps, and has been fitted with those swing back marker lights as well

More
13 years 2 months ago #44346 by jeffo
Just to clarify, that's an old 60's photo from the album, haven't got her sitting in the shed or anything.
She was traded long ago for an Ergo, bit of a mistake but hindsight is 20/20, hey.

More
13 years 2 months ago #44347 by Tank
Another pic of a mechanical arm...

Inter Atkinson 4870 as is&&Inter C1840 restored&&Inter AB160 Tipper&&Inter C

More
More
13 years 1 month ago #44349 by Lang
Just put a photo up in the Truck Chat section of a close-up of my 1965 Commer in Victoria. Had to have the mechanical arm for rego although the truck was fitted with good blinkers. I don't think I ever used it.

This was the cheapest style. There was a better neater style that slid out of the roof horizontally above the door and the hand went into a little tin box. All the ex-army left hand drive GMC's etc had to have this style because the driver could not reach the swinging pole type on the right hand door.

Lang

More
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #44350 by BK
I'll dig this out as I got to drive a brand new flintstone R 600 Mack in 1966, it had blinker lights, as did B61's, but it also had to have a mechanical hand before it could be registered in Queensland.
That's when the speed limit in NSW was 35 mph for trucks on the open road. ::)
Also clearance light had to be fitted around 1948-50

Trust me
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by BK.

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds