Skip to main content

Perth

More
12 years 9 months ago #60147 by rmodelsteve
Perth was created by rmodelsteve
Can any one help.
I will be in perth in two weeks for two weeks and would like to know of some places to go during my stay.i have work days to do my own thing ,eg monday to friday.
i have found the railway and RAAF museum to go to,
Any other places?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60148 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Perth
Whiteman Park: a recreational park on the north-east fringe, accessible by public bus if you know how (change at a suburban shopping mall). It has a railway (operates at weekends) and a tramway (AFAIK operates at weekends, but transport enthusiasts are welcome to visit the depot on the midweek work day).

The maritime museum at Fremantle, with the punny name: 'Sails of the century'.

Every pub in Fremantle, then try for all in inner Perth.

The three pubs which have Melbourne trams as bistro centrepieces: Claremont, South Perth, Gosnells.

The Northbridge restaurant Glassby's, formerly Trains, Planes & Automobiles, with a lot of memorabilia. A lot went at the change of name, but I suspect that a lot remains.

A preserved loco at Subiaco; another in Gosnells market.

The signalbox at Claremont: Preserved as a working museum; probably demonstrated only on Sundays, using dummy displays.

Rottnest Island ('What happens on Rotto stays on Rotto' - boss to secretary).

The canal cruises at Mandurah.

For something gentle: the original Kalgoorlie line through its Darling Ranges climb (accessed via Midland), running through national park. Stop over at a couple of places with pubs, and return from there.

A wonderful city, and great to visit, but very remote from the eastern states.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

12 years 9 months ago #60149 by
Replied by on topic Re: Perth
Bazza's Place

Trevor

More
12 years 9 months ago #60150 by

Bazza's Place

Then onto Onetrack's

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

More
12 years 9 months ago #60151 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Re: Perth
Hi
Will you be in Perth on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th September if so the National Machinery Rally ( nhmafairbridge2011.info/ ) is on at Fairbridge Village

More
12 years 9 months ago #60152 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Perth
Highly recommended. I was at the Murray Bridge one, when the announcement was made that WA would host the next, for the first time. It is a long way, but the host club will be going all out to show traditional WA hospitality. The distance may deter many eastern-states owners from bringing their treasures, but that will be balanced by the many western ones who have never gone east.
Murray Bridge had a great site, and I had my boat moored on Murray River at it (joining paddlesteamers and vintage cruising launches). Despite the amusement that Pinjarra is on WA's Murray River, I can't justify trailing there for this event, and I am not sure how far the river is navigable from Manjimup. Perhaps steam launches and wooden boats will be able to come alongside?

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
12 years 9 months ago #60153 by rmodelsteve
Replied by rmodelsteve on topic Re: Perth
that great will have to talk to the wife to be as the 3 4 sep is the last weekend im there.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #60154 by Rusty Engines
talk to the wife to be

Put your foot down now and show who is boss ;D ;D ;D
Ian
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Rusty Engines.

More
12 years 9 months ago #60155 by Rusty Engines
I can't justify trailing there
Neither can I :'( :'(
But it is all paid for now flying over from Townsville for the three days
Ian

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #60156 by

Put your foot down now and show who is boss

Ian - I think he did do that. Now, that's the reason he needs 2 weeks in Perth! .. to get as far away as possible, from the life of hell he just created! .. ;D ;D ;D

Steve - Whiteman Park is good, it's a very large bushland/parkland area (about 1000 acres/247Ha from memory), with good picnic and BBQ facilities, a museum that rotates the vehicles on display, a bus/transport restoration building, and a number of interesting old items on display outside. The railway and tramway have already been mentioned by Rod.

The premier working museum is Dardanup Heritage Park, about 15 mins out of Bunbury (heading inland). Bunbury is 190kms South of Perth and there's a brand new freeway all the way between Perth & Bunbury.
Dardanup has a working early 1900's sawmill driven by a steam engine, and this is a treat to watch. The volunteers saw up fresh jarrah logs to make building timbers, for new buildings on the site.

The equipment here ranges from trucks to tractors to all types of ancient "general use" items that we have forgotten, ever existed.
Dardanup has a good cafe/tearooms, and the volunteers put on a show of some of the equipment nearly every weekend.
The Park is usually open on Wednesdays and Sundays, but is open the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th of September to coincide with the NHMA show at Fairbridge.
The Steam Saw Mill will be operating Sunday 4th September, and I highly recommend you set this day aside to visit the Park. Entry is $12.

www.dardanupheritagepark.com.au/

Another, smaller and lesser known museum is the Hugh Manning Serpentine Museum. This museum contains tractors & machinery and farm equipment.
Hugh Manning started the Museum, however he died in 2004, and the Museum is now run by volunteers, and financed by Alcoa.
This Museum is located about 60 kms SSE of Perth, about 20kms out of the Southernmost suburbs.

You can access the Serpentine Museum from the South-Western Hwy, which runs parallel to, and inland from the Perth-Bunbury Hwy (Forrest Hwy).
Fairbridge is about another 35kms South along the South-Western Hwy.

www.serpentinetractors.asn.au/

Time to create page: 0.445 seconds