Skip to main content

Buying first truck

More
9 years 10 months ago #143657 by kind_cir
Buying first truck was created by kind_cir
Decided I am going to buy a truck and try and get in on the tipper business in which I already work.

I was looking at spending 20-30k first up to get me started as I would not have to lend money. If it all works out I could upgrade the truck later.

Never owned a truck before so what should I look out for and what models should I avoid ?
Needs to be a 10m3 tipper bogie drive.
Is getting a prime mover and converting it to a ridged tipper worthwhile?

Any helpful advice would be great.

Thanks.

A win without a challenge

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143658 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Buying first truck
Having a nice rig sitting in the driveway is still a long way from making a profit. Rather than think about what the truck should be, you first need to work out who is going to hire you and what the customers needs are. For instance, some projects might require your truck to be Euro emissions compliant or less than x years old. Have the wrong truck and you are out of business before you started. Do the leg work to all the likely customers and ask them what service they want, how often, what loads etc etc. If you want a truck to earn a living you need to operate along hard nosed business lines. Speak to your accountant about how the numbers crunch well before thinking about a purchase. It can be done but it is a lot easier if you have someone in the industry holding your hand and giving you leads.
If you want a truck as a hobby get an oldie on historic plates and take it out for the odd run.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143659 by kind_cir
Replied by kind_cir on topic Re: Buying first truck

Having a nice rig sitting in the driveway is still a long way from making a profit. Rather than think about what the truck should be, you first need to work out who is going to hire you and what the customers needs are. For instance, some projects might require your truck to be Euro emissions compliant or less than x years old. Have the wrong truck and you are out of business before you started. Do the leg work to all the likely customers and ask them what service they want, how often, what loads etc etc. If you want a truck to earn a living you need to operate along hard nosed business lines. Speak to your accountant about how the numbers crunch well before thinking about a purchase. It can be done but it is a lot easier if you have someone in the industry holding your hand and giving you leads.
If you want a truck as a hobby get an oldie on historic plates and take it out for the odd run.

The wife is a CPA qualified accountant and is doing all the financial stuff and won't let us go into hole. I have some contacts in the industry, with some prepared to give us work. But you can never rely on things 100% so don't want to spend big first up till I get a good foothold on things.

I need to work to keep up with all my other hobbies and interests. At this time, working for someone, i maintain my lifestyle on 2 days a week.

So the questions still stand.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143660 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Buying first truck
Hey lad welcome to the forum. Its always good to see someone wanting to get in to business for themselves. I am in the process now, its hard but rewarding.

Depending on what sought of work you want to get into will dictate what sought of truck you will need to buy. Any government work or big company contracts usually want something in super good condition, reasonably new and not an oil leak to be seen, but if your only say delivering dirt around town, or maybe doing some work for the local council, anything that is reliable would be a good start.

I would say look for something that is not a Volvo or Mercedes. They're good trucks, but maintenance costs will really hurt. There lots of cheap Kenworths around, they're easy to work on and parts are cheap. Some of the Japanese brands are quite good, but to me they all seem to ride really rough.

At the end of the day, an old truck will do the same work as a new one, so I'd just look for something that rides well, has been well looked after, and most of all, gives you a great big smile when you drive it...

Regards, DD

More
9 years 10 months ago #143661 by kind_cir

Hey lad welcome to the forum. Its always good to see someone wanting to get in to business for themselves. I am in the process now, its hard but rewarding.

Depending on what sought of work you want to get into will dictate what sought of truck you will need to buy. Any government work or big company contracts usually want something in super good condition, reasonably new and not an oil leak to be seen, but if your only say delivering dirt around town, or maybe doing some work for the local council, anything that is reliable would be a good start.

I would say look for something that is not a Volvo or Mercedes. They're good trucks, but maintenance costs will really hurt. There lots of cheap Kenworths around, they're easy to work on and parts are cheap. Some of the Japanese brands are quite good, but to me they all seem to ride really rough.

At the end of the day, an old truck will do the same work as a new one, so I'd just look for something that rides well, has been well looked after, and most of all, gives you a great big smile when you drive it...

Regards, DD

Thanks dieseldog,

I did not think the Volvo's were that bad but the Merc's are. Others in my price range are scania, inter, UD, but Isuzu seem dearer. Kenworth K series which I love the look of but the Mrs really hates also fall into the price range but the bonneted Kenny's don't. Ford L 8-9000, and old Mack r series also come into play.

So the question is what to realy avoid ?

I have an idea on the type of work, which I'm currently doing in a 92 Isuzu 10m tipper. It's just local stuff, general tipper hire, no dog work, and no quarries with no big contracts that require new equipment. I have some contacts within local hire mobs in these parts willing to give me some work. There are some huge projects about to start in my area and there will be a greater need soon for what I described above. I realy don't need to make a huge amout of money, but require to meet costs and a few hundred a week extra. Would love to make enough out of it to get a truck that will make me smile and this is the one of the reasons for making the plunge. I would also like to have a bit more control over what I do.
At the moment I get just a street name and a time via text message. I have no idea what the details are till I get there. the equipment is barley enough to do the jobs some days but the the truck owner has no idea as she has taken over the business from her husband.

Example : The other week I had to cart sticky mud. was pretty much demanded to be out my door with in 5 min with no notice. I would of sprayed the bin with diesel if I knew it was sticky mud I was carting to make clean up easier. I had a blown brake globe and had no tools at all to fix, the uhf was playing up still and had not been fixed after telling her numerous times over 4 months. When I rang and said I need time to clean the truck at the end of day to prepare it for a different job the following day, the response was that it was not important and to just give it a hose with the garden hose at end of shift. That would of been as useful as painting a house with a toothpick.

So I like trucks, I like driving trucks, but I don't like driving trucks for dimwits, hence the want to move into my own rig where I can supply the basics at least. Hopefully build it into something I can be proud and happy to run.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143662 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: Buying first truck
Kind-cir, welcome to the forum & I hope that someone can be of assistance to you. I was looking further down the forum index & spotted the heading of "Firetrucks" for sale. Looking a bit further at that item it turned out to be a Gray's online auction. In the list of trucks is an 1989 International "S Line" tipper. 300 hp Cummins engine. I have no idea what size the tipper body is but it maybe worth a look. Sale is for equipment located at Taree NSW. Don't know if it helps but it may give you an idea on whats around. Cheers Tim ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143663 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Buying first truck
Whew,
Being a know nothing, done nothing, coming from nowhere kinda guy myself. . .
But I do remember the 1980's where it was an all CB radios and "10-4 Pig Pen, I think we got a convoy" kind of mentality.

Boy, didn't they work hard to "Live the Dream"?
Not only were the big fish eating the little fish, but all the other little fish were fighting each other tooth and nail for the scraps - to make this months truck payment.
The Banks loved it and the Big Transport Company's loved it even more.

Owner Driver Muggins not only had his house and family riding along on the deal but often his parents or in-laws house too.

Ah, the Glory Days. . . working 24/7 and hopeing to maybe break even this month (before the tyre/ fuel bill came in).

Good luck to anybody that wants to have a go.

But, as Mammoth suggested,
The industry is not about Trucks (big small, new used, pretty or otherwise).
It's about business.

Don't let
"So I like trucks, I like driving trucks, but I don't like driving trucks for dimwits. . ."
Drive your business plan.

It's about business and making MONEY.

"Gamble Responsibly, never wager more than you can afford to loose."

bwwik?

-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
9 years 10 months ago #143664 by kind_cir

Whew,
Being a know nothing, done nothing, coming from nowhere kinda guy myself. . .
But I do remember the 1980's where it was an all CB radios and "10-4 Pig Pen, I think we got a convoy" kind of mentality.

Boy, didn't they work hard to "Live the Dream"?
Not only were the big fish eating the little fish, but all the other little fish were fighting each other tooth and nail for the scraps - to make this months truck payment.
The Banks loved it and the Big Transport Company's loved it even more.

Owner Driver Muggins not only had his house and family riding along on the deal but often his parents or in-laws house too.

Ah, the Glory Days. . . working 24/7 and hopeing to maybe break even this month (before the tyre/ fuel bill came in).

Good luck to anybody that wants to have a go.

But, as Mammoth suggested,
The industry is not about Trucks (big small, new used, pretty or otherwise).
It's about business.

Don't let
"So I like trucks, I like driving trucks, but I don't like driving trucks for dimwits. . ."
Drive your business plan.

It's about business and making MONEY.

"Gamble Responsibly, never wager more than you can afford to loose."

bwwik?

-b

Ok then,.. I don't want to go into business. I just want a bogie drive tipper to run around town and do the shopping. I buy lots when I shop so it needs to have a 10m3 bin and a 22500 gvm, because I have a lot of fan mail, tonnes of it relly, and the PO wants it gone.

I really only have 20-30k to spend but don't want a lemon.
So what should I buy and what should I avoid ?
What should I be looking for when I buy ?

It also needs to be able to handle boggy rough dirt roads, and the roughest road in the land... The Bruce hyw.

;D

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143665 by kind_cir

These blokes have made some fairly decent replies to your post...
Very good advice I think...

You work in the tipper industry now, I can only assume there are others around you operating gear of a similar nature?

Your requirements don't seem too unreasonable, 20 or 30 K for something bogie drive with a body on it, is probably achievable...

You have listed a few brands, but in all, without overstating the obvious, it will come down to your own personal preference.
What some like or rely upon, may not be something you wish to own.

Everyone will have a different story based on their own personal experiences, whether good or bad.
Some will get a better run than others with the same brand, purely based on operator care and maintenance.

I would advise you to buy an 'American' truck, the parts are available both genuine and aftermarket.
They are reasonably priced for an initial purpose also.
In the same token, we have and do run older Isuzus, they are a great vehicle, in my experience.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be an open and shut answer for you in relation to exactly what to buy.
We have seen many 'heated' discussions over 'brands'.
I think it would be safe to say that many will not enter into this type of discussion, as there are far too many variables.

I can only suggest to keep your ears and eyes open around the traps, listen to the blokes that are out there doing it on a day to day basis.

Either way, it won't be easy in todays market, things are getting tougher all around.
I run a business, successfully, my advice would be stick with an Employer, you will have more free time, less headaches and probably in the long term, more cash..

Whatever your decision, I wish you well

chocs 8-)

Thanks chocs

I have been in business before, and done very well at it. So I do know the in and outs and headaches of it all. The wife being an Accoutant woking in the idustry does help quite a bit also.
I do have 10 years experience driving the tippers on and off, so have got some clue, and contacts that will help.

I spose it's a case of how long is a piece of string, type of question. I will just have to get what I think will suit me and my budget and go from there. However it would be better if I could get a better understanding of trucks from others first.

Thanks all for your ccomments. I guess i just jump in and hope for the best.

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by kind_cir.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #143666 by kind_cir

What I would buy"

International S line, after '86? Gal Cab Good maneuverability, reasonable ride
Wide cab to throw your fridge and gear in, With A/C
6 cyl Cummins
15 speed for lower off road gearing
44's on 2 spring Hendrickson. Good off road oscillation
Steel body, 2 way tailgate.

Find one, then hire a Heavy Vehicle Mechanic to check it over, allow 4 hours plus travel etc. Could be a cheap $1000 well spent..

good luck

chocs 8-)

PS
What do I operate?
A '90 S2670 S Line, 320 cummins 13sp 4 spring 36" bunk, Tray body

That suits my application, highway/rural property access
and has done for 10 years

The length of the string.....Twice as long as half a piece ;)

Thanks chocs,

That's the sort of info I need. ;) The niece's BF is a diesel mechanic, so he is going to do the pre purchase inspection. :)

Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by kind_cir.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds