Skip to main content

Australian New Truck Sales 2018

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201595 by Lang
Results from Australian Statistics,
Some of the brands that had particularly strong 2018 sales increases in the year included:
DAF – 525 (+25.0%)
Fuso – 4,101 (+9.4)
Hino – 5,646 (+17.1%)
Hyundai – 94 (+88.0%)
International – 61 (+335.7%)
Iveco – 2,315 (+25.2%)
Kenworth – 2,946 (+25.1%)
Mack – 1,134 (+10.5%)
MAN – 1,218 (+26.7%)
Mercedes-Benz Trucks – 1,189 (+33.4%)
UD Trucks – 1,015 (+10.7%)
Volvo – 2,175 (+16.2%)

While some of the brands that lost ground in the year included:
Dennis-Eagle – 59 (-55.3%)
Freightliner – 413 (-1.2%)
Scania – 893 (-11.1%)
Western Star – 349 (-3.9%)
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201596 by Lang
Looks like Navistar, which was formed to take over the truck division of International Harvester during the break up, has reverted to the International name. Good to see traditions carried on. One of the biggest sellers in USA it looks like getting a bit of a foothold back in Australia from the above sales figures.

Lang

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201597 by Lang
And here are the worldwide results. Pretty interesting.

Mercedes is first with double the sales of number 2, Volvo, which in turn has double the sales of PACCAR
www.statista.com/statistics/270293/world...-production-figures/

And here is the USA brand breakup. The Daimler Truck sales are fantastic as no vehicle (truck or car) manufacturer has gone anywhere near 50% market share since the T Model Ford. This is reflected in the world figures above as Daimler Truck is of course a Mercedes company. Owning Mitsubishi/Fuso Trucks also kicks a few dollars into the tin.
www.ttnews.com/articles/class-8-sales-jump-397-january

These are the 9 biggest truck manufactures in the world in order from largest to smallest. (These differ slightly from above because they include their engine and bus divisions which are stronger in some)

1. Daimler Truck Group
Mercedes, Western Star, Freightliner, Mitsubishi, Fuso, Bharatbenz (India)

2. Tata
Huge Indian conglomerate but they are second on truck sales alone.

3. Dongfeng
Chinese Government owned corporation

4. Navistar International
Navistar, International, Mahindra (India), Anhui Jianghuai (China), Tatra, MWM Motors, Blue Diamond joint venture with Ford, Currently rebranding back to just Internationa.l

5. Volvo
Volvo, UD, Renault, Mack, Eicher (India) and Dongfeng International Sales

6. Toyota
Hino, Toyota. This is just the heavy truck division of Toyota, of course Toyota total sales exceeds every truck manufacturer put together.

7. FIAT
IVECO owned by the CNH Division of the FIAT empire. Seddon, Atkinson.

8. PACCAR
Peterbilt, Kenworth, DAF, Leyland (rebadged DAF)

9. VW
Scania, MAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201604 by cobbadog
Each year Dee and I love watching the Dakar Rally and each year in the trucks you don't see Kenworth, Mercedes and not even a Swishy special, a Volvo running through the sand and rolling over but what you do get to see is a couple Hino, Iveco and sometimes the Tata are up there but the winner almost every year is the Russian built monster whose name escapes me at the moment and I will think of it at around 3.30m tonight.

Now I;m going to go even more crazy thinking of the bloody thing. Hope you have a good night, I don't think I will now.........

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201607 by Lang
Kamaz
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201614 by cobbadog
Thank you for jolting my lack of brains department. Those things appear to be bullet proof.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201618 by Lang
I had a drive of an ex-army Kamaz 4x4 (about a 3 tonner) in the bush near Krasnoyarsk in Siberia then home on the bitumen. Nothing as fancy as the Dakar trucks but what a great vehicle. About the same size and era as the Australian Army Mk3 International (60's to 80's) but the Kamaz left it for dead in all departments including comfort and speed.

Can't find a photo but it was an earlier model of this one, much the same shape but a bit rounder.

There must be a few Russian truck builders close to the top list but I suppose they may not report their production. As they are all private companies now I don't see why they are not included in the list.

Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201638 by cobbadog
I guess that the Russians don't waste time and effort on appearance just functionability.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds