Skip to main content

Princes Highway reduction of lanes for trucks

More
13 years 7 months ago #24192 by disco
Richard, well said,u run for p/m,s job next year :-? :-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #24193 by The Shadow
onetrack
I was shown to drive by my parents, but that is where the basic part to teaching ends.

The day I got my L's I drove a VC Valiant with a tandem trailer that had 2.5T on it, from Vic Roads to Howlong along winding roads and was told NOT to go off the speed limit, the next day drove it all the way to Melbourne.

Once done at Sims I had to learn how NOT to bog the ute and how to back the trailer into tight spots.

THAT WAS DRIVING.

but you are not allowed to do that now :(

That is laws for you now.

The more older trucks on the road&&The more memorizes of how things use to be.&&[url

More
13 years 7 months ago #24194 by scratcha
Common sense isnt that common!

I work in the rail industry as a supervisor (should have stayed on the tools) and it never ceases to amaze me at the need to have everything controlled/classified/proceedured before a job can be started.

these blokes have a CANT do attitude.
the same type of people write the laws like the lane control for trucks.

they refuse to drive a work ute because its unroadworthy (parker light out) then refuse to replace the globe cause "its not my job".
Knock off work and drive out in the biggest piece of sh!t on the road to more likely than not, sit in the right hand lane @ 95kmh.

A good thing that has been introduce is the 120 hour log book for learner drivers.

My youngest (now 19) did around 170hours in all weather, heaps of different cars a real good mix of country and city miles on both the bitumen and gravel.

He even managed to avoid a head on in a hire car in WA, just out of Harvey on our way to Dardenup to see my brother. unfamiliar rd, unfamiliar car but unflustered just loudly said "lookout Dad, this
(insert discriptive name) is asleep" drove onto the gravel verge at 100kmh while flashing the lights at this dill.

thank Christ the other driver didnt hit us as he was fully on our side of the road.

young bloke then steered the car back on the rd.
nice and smooth,

later after emptying out the undies, I rewarded him with a beer at the "Burning of the Bull"

I travel from Ferntree gully to the Newport yard almost daily and every day without fail are held up by CAR drivers doing under the posted limit in the right lane, I have rarely been slowed by a truck.

Who is the minister for transport? Maybe a petition should be started?

Wait, here is the info....

Minister Pallas welcomes comment and feedback on issues about roads and ports.

The Minister may be contacted through the Department of Transport.

Hon. Tim Pallas, MP
Minister for Roads and Ports
Department of Transport
GPO Box 2797
Melbourne VIC 3001
Australia

Tel.: (03) 9655 6666 (DOT's switchboard)

Thoughts?

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 7 months ago #24195 by Swishy

Scratcha
GuddayM8

RE: I work in the rail industry
So yyyooouuurrr the one!
Th@ works?
LOL

Sorry but me thinks th@ rail transport is a bit ded

U can fling heap$$$ on new state of the art rolling stock
But tiz only az good (or bad) as wots under them steel wheels
Antiquated rail on timber sleepers th@ R even too rotten to use to beautify a garden
n as for public transport
twould B easier to have free Public transport n save the tax payer sum money
n as far as lo bridges go where a truck hits one every other day
they need to re think how they B designed n made
the old way twaz:
determine rail height
place sleeper n rock ballast B lo
n B lo th@ a deck of timber to hold ballast
blo th@ U have steel cross members sit n on top of the main beams to carry all the weight
main beam height 3 feet - 6 feet
deduct all the above from the rail height n U C where old bridges dont have much clearance for trucks
On the Sth Eastern Fwy, just north of the Sth Yarra station the bridge crossing the fwy twaz very lo by todays standards about 4.3m for memory
It twaz a huge problem for vicroads to try n get the height altered
all said it can't B dun, impossable
when the Fwy mob got the new tunnel constructed
they promptly fixed the height of clearance to a more user friendly height, by constructing new beams with recessed rail lines
Looks like this kind of think n needs to B dun on most bridges around Victoria as well as Melbourne
LOL
n on ther oposite end of the scale
there R many bridges around melbourne we can not drive a heavy vehicle over as they have restricted weights on said bridges

LOL

spose all the above duzn't catch many votes
so why fix it

So ends todays waffle on by

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 7 months ago #24196 by prodrive
Scratcha- Maybe that's the problem? We ALLOW idiots to be idiots, then try to make rules and systems for it. So EVERYONE pays the price. We never say to these idiots "Wake up to yourself, D...HEAD!!" because we just can't say that anymore in todays society. It's got me buggered, and I certainly don't know the answer. But I DO know that making more rules so people don't have to "think" just perpetuates the whole thing, and we keep doing it, more and more. Your example of the railways is spot on. Do rules help these idiots? I sincerely doubt it. Someone needs to give them a good kick up the backside, and tell them to wake up to themselves.
This shocking attitude is so prevalent in Australia today, and it makes me very sad. As we are all into old trucks and transport, when you look back at what people used to do, how hard they worked, and what they made do with, and we have gone from that, to todays useless, selfish, whinging, give me everything and I'll take what I can get, attitude. And it's getting worse every day. So we keep doing the same thing! I wish I had the answers. But I DO know the answer isn't to keep making more and more rules, and putting people into power so I don't have to think for myself, to "protect" me and keep me safe and fining me if I do the supposedly do the wrong thing. I guess that works for a while, then eventually, the whole country must grind to an ever slower, more regulated, more dumb, place, where we all do the right thing, say the right thing, have our identity chips in our head, get fined automatically when we have a wrong thought or action, and so on. Sounds a lot like what we used to think communist Russia was like...
Sheeple is a term I have heard used and I think its true...
It's great that you guys are at least talking about it. Australians are so lackadaisical and laid back, by the time we wake up, it will be too late. Discussion is a start. It's our country, after all!
Anyway that's my rant again for today! :-/

More
13 years 7 months ago #24197 by Chocs
so in reality
the cockhead that said they were all cockheads wasnt a cockhead after all???
or was he??

im hearing ya!!!
chocs 8-)

More
13 years 7 months ago #24198 by disco

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds