Skip to main content

Volvo FM12 fault code help

More
13 years 11 months ago #28632 by Jumbo
Hi all,

Need some help as Volvo Agent doesn't seem to know how the fix long standing intermitant problem.

My Volvo FM12 2005 model 6x4 p/m doing long distance & local float work QLD

Engine shuts down intermittinally eg: at idle ,50 kmh, 100kmh, wet or dry road, freeway or dirt.

Stop turn off master switch for a minute, then restarts every time

Odd times only but now Mainly once or twice a day recently in the last month but today 12 time in 2 hours - frustrating especially with oversize loads
Now off the road

Fault code : MID 128 , PID153 , FM10

If any one can help would be great

No Swedish Valiant - petrol / matches jokes please !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks & Regards
Jumbo

RFW # 116 - 4x2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #28633 by atkipete
The Volvo dealer should be able to fix these things, it is their problem and the computer engines will soon get a bad name if they cant. . Just a wild guess might be a bad sender on the engine, eg oil pressure making it think there is a fault. The code should indicate what it is.

More
13 years 11 months ago #28634 by disco
Jumbo, after towing alot of em, 3 things are common, earth problem, battery issue or 1 of the relays is crook or someone has spliced into the wiring somewhere they should'nt have, ford,s had issues with that when after market alarms were fitted :-/ silly question does it do when your rotators are going, I,m towing em nearly as much as iveco,s, however the dealer cant be that good if they cant find it :o

More
13 years 11 months ago #28635 by paul404
hi jumbo, it might be best to take it to an auto electrician. we have a good one up here in rocky. Love Auto electrics. 57 musgrave street north rockhampton. 49277881 phil love is the man to talk to. he has the same blokes still working for him for at least 15yrs plus that i know of. they do work for all the dealers here. if you can get it checked out properly you might find something before throwing a ecm at it. fault codes can be nightmares at times. a crook ecm can throw up all sorts of codes that make no sense.

More
13 years 11 months ago #28636 by Jumbo
Sorry guys
i should of said what the code came up as. Excessive crankcase pressure, i am told that the sensor has been change many times from new and updated wiring harness as well.

Disco - Party lights can be on or off

Paul - (you mention -Love Auto electrics. 57 musgrave street north rockhampton)
I had Highway Auto Elec & A/C (musgrave street north rockhampton) work on my trailer last Monday out at the roundabout on the way to Glendon. Dead short in tail wire so no flashing party light on the back.

We know that the Volvo harnesses have thin insulation which has cause problems before in this truck and others.
Our Last 5 Volvos had reocurring problems and i have the last of them.

Regards
Jumbo

RFW # 116 - 4x2

More
13 years 11 months ago #28637 by gilly
Hi Jumbo, The old fault codes, maybe we can help. TEXA have a very good truck Scan Tool that is exported here from Italy. I am currently undergoing training to be a trainer with this tool.Contact Michael by email, michaelstangherlin@bigpond.com , he is the engineer who has direct contact with the factory in Italy who supplies a lot of OEM tools to truck & bus manufacturers. Depending what tool has been used to suck the information from this truck, a lot of tools are questionable, therefore you could be led right up the garden path. Michael may be able to advise you if any TEXA tools are in your area that mabe able to help. He will need to know what engine family is in this truck, perhaps he can look up some of his raw data that he keeps, or he may email Italy as he did with an Actros in Ballarat that had some issues, to get answers from there world wide data base of known problems. Hope this may help.
Gilly

More
13 years 11 months ago #28638 by prodrive
Jumbo this is a very long shot. I had a NL12 that did the same thing. Would just stop, for no reason, no pattern. My Volvo dealer just said "Nothing wrong with it". Then I went to pick it up and it wouldn't start, then they said "computer problem, $6000 for another". I tried another computer, (Thanks Volwreck) made no difference. Checked out all sorts of black boxes, couldn't find any hint of it. Rang the previous owner, they said "Great truck, we only sold it because it kept stopping and we couldn't get it fixed !!!" (I'm pretty over it by this time)
Everything pointed towards an earth problem, the computer must be earthed to the cabin, the cabin must be earthed to the chassis etc, but all looked good.
Coopers Auto Elec in Nth Geelong found a bad earth INSIDE the back of the plug where it meets the computer. Got another plug for the computer and spliced it in, problem solved. All that time and effort for a ten dollar plug.... Not saying this is your problem, but I would be looking very seriously at all your earths, wherever they may be. It's too easy for workshops to charge you crazy money and then go "oh well, replace something else" at your expense, and after you have broken down somewhere really inconvenient.... Usually it is something easy- if only you can find it.
There is a site on the web called "just answers" they were a great help, there is some pretty smart cookies on there. Costs about $50, but costs nothing if they can't fix it. You nominate how much you want to pay, so it's prett good. Certainly worth a try I reckon
Good luck anyway.
Cheers
Richard

More
13 years 11 months ago #28639 by gilly
Hi, One procedure we use is, push / pull wiring looms to simulate on road vibrations etc, any relay associated with the engine management system, with a ball peen hammer, tap the relays to simulate on road jolts. No doubt that good earthing is paramount, any good technician will look for voltage drop with a good scope, not just any old meter, you need something that is capable of CAN speed to capture the glitch when it occurs. With a good scan tool, you may need to drive this vehicle on road & record the live data from all the input signals to the ECU to capture the glitch. If you are based in the Melb area, let me know, we will see if we can help..
Gilly

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds