Skip to main content

Automatic?! Well, there you go...

More
15 years 6 months ago #2147 by huppypuppy

Gday Joe, Maybe someone had been fiddling with it, it was bad. In fact , if you made the gear selections that it did, ie 6th gear at 60ks, during your driving test, you would fail down here. Every upshift was rough, would get on your nerves after a while.
Cheers Pete

Pete,

Either that or the little switch on the right hand side of the steering column just above the accelerator pedal - that one is a bit easier to get to... I think the one I just mentioned is the one which controls shift speed and harshness!

Joe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2148 by huppypuppy

I tell you these of to day sure have it easy i sat in a fairly new KW on Saturday.

I was looking the gear stick and i see these letters D-N -R etc and i said to the driver is this a auto and he says sure is only have to use the clutch when stoped and taking off the rest is auto. Dave

Dave,

The lever that driver had in his truck for controlling the Eaton Autoshift is called the Cobra lever - just like the selector for the auto in current shape Falcons and Commodores now!

Joe

More
15 years 6 months ago #2149 by atkipete
I havent driven one of these autoshift Eatons but I heard they cant skip shift. ie even empty going down hill they have to use every gear. Anyone know more about this.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 6 months ago #2150 by Swishy
AtkiPete
GuddayM8

RE autoshift Eatons
Well it hadta cum

with the shortage of skilled drivers world wide
U gotta make it easy

B the easiest way for boredom n fatigue
with the driver with cruise control engaged
he can nod off
with nothing 2 do

just a nother disaster waiting 2 happen

Mid 70's they tried runnin Hi horsepower with allisons on interstate
n the drivers were runnin off the Rd
nod n off with little 2 do

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 6 months ago #2151 by huppypuppy

I havent driven one of these autoshift Eatons but I heard they cant skip shift. ie even empty going down hill they have to use every gear. Anyone know more about this.

Pete,

You are able to shift the AutoShift RoadRangers manually to skip gears but you must be in Manual mode to do so (anyone out there who knows about these is to correct me if I'm wrong!!)....

I do stand to be corrected, so there will be no argument from me if this is the case

Joe

15 years 6 months ago #2152 by
Hey Swishy,

Dunno about that, was acting as a steering wheel attendant for the skinny dog cartin' talk back freight for quite a few years, they had a couple of cattle crates with the slush boxes fitted. You actually looked forward to steerin' them jiggers, no strain on the brain tryin' to sort out what box was fitted to the crate, just hop and away we go.

Made a good drover out'a a bad one. Bit heavy on the turps tho, that was the only drawback.
No boredom at all, just white knuckles all the time hangin' on and swayin' around corners, no need to back off, just get up it and keep up it, good way to fly, no make that a great way to fly.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
15 years 6 months ago #2153 by HeyCharger

Still remember that video of Rick McCracken two-sticking. Awesome stuff. RIP.

Hey Andy, is that video available ie on youtube? The only ones I can usually find are fuzzybuzzard's (which are great in themselves, but lh drive). Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2154 by HeyCharger

30 odd years ago twaz just the norm
to juglge the 'B' Model mack with 2 stiks
with one arm thru the steering wheel
grabn a hand full of gears
while negotiating a corner
eating a pie
talking to passenger
while reading street directory
n giving directiond to escourt vehicle
while useing the 2 way radio
LOL

WATCH IT

LOL
cya

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2155 by Andy Wright

Still remember that video of Rick McCracken two-sticking. Awesome stuff. RIP.

Hey Andy, is that video available ie on youtube? The only ones I can usually find are fuzzybuzzard's (which are great in themselves, but lh drive). Rod.

It should still be on Youtube. Can't remember where I first saw it, Rod. I think it was part of a DVD put out by one of the clubs.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 6 months ago #2156 by Andy Wright
This isn't it but...imagine you've seen this?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.644 seconds