More
12 years 5 months ago #68091 by bwanainoz
Hello All

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #68092 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: GVM, GCM, ATM question
You CAN legally tow that Trailer.....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #68093 by
Replied by on topic Re: GVM, GCM, ATM question
bwainainoz - There's no problem with towing a trailer of 18,000 kg, provided the truck has the appropriate trailer braking system, and the trailer is fitted with braking on all wheels.
The general rule is that you can tow a trailer up to 1.5 times the mass of the towing vehicle, provided the braking is up to the required standard.

The sensible thing to do, to course, to avoid potential trouble, is to ensure that you have some load on the truck, if you're towing a heavily loaded trailer.

Towing a trailer loaded to capacity (18,000 kg) with an empty truck, is asking for trouble, as you do not have enough weight in the towing vehicle to ensure adequate control of the trailer, particularly under heavy braking, wet conditions, or emergency situations.

12 years 5 months ago #68094 by
I think the 1.5 times is only for light vehicles and not heavy. But does not allow you to exceed manufacturers ratings or tow point limits etc.

In this case if your vehicle weighs 15 ton and allowed 33 ton GCM then you can have 18 ton trailer.

But as onetrack indicates your tow points and bracking of the trailer comply with requirements for the weight.

Check with your local licence organisation to check any local requirements.

More
12 years 5 months ago #68095 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: GVM, GCM, ATM question
Heres another theory....

Your best and absolute answer will come from the Transport Authority in your state.
They will have the correct specs / weights for your vehicle configuration.
The manufacturers Gross weights are not necessarily indicative of the 'state legal weights'

Victoria:
Your vehicle may also have to be nominated to tow a 'heavy' trailer (this may incur additional registration costs.)
Without nomination in Victoria, you are governed to 9000kg towing.
Without a correctly plated GCM. you are limited to 60% of the GVM of the towing vehicle..

Again, contact the correct authorities in your state,,
I am sure no one here will pay the fines should it all go pear shaped...
chocs 8-)

More
12 years 5 months ago #68096 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: GVM, GCM, ATM question
If you need any parts for it I know where there is a fairly new one with a speader on it & a bad smell of fire in it.
:D :D
Would make a lovely unit for the Sahara if it never got cooked!!! Dash wiring problem....... check yours!!!

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
12 years 5 months ago #68097 by John Whale
hello all this thread has interest for me. choc as i am based in vic to am i right in thinking that i dont have to notify vicroads that i want to tow a 3000 litre tanker trailer that weighs roughly 4500kg loaded behind my bogie rigid ??? regards whale

12 years 5 months ago #68098 by
John,

In thoery yes. But depends as mentioned previously. What your plate indicates!

Also your trailer, hitch and trailer brakes etc must be rated correctly.

Just realise that 3,000 litres could weigh greater than 3 tons on its own! That is a lot of weight moving around inside a tank! Hope the trailer is up to this amount of weight moving around!

But as choc's has pointed out if in doubt contact Vicroads. As what we say and what vicroads indicates can be totally different! :D And I know which one would be more correct! ;D

Have a look at www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Moreinfoand...nformationBulletins/ But also recommend if you have questions make a call!

12 years 5 months ago #68099 by
John

I had a 8 ton tray and I wanted to tow a trailer behind her and I was told by Vic Roads as long as the combined weight of the truck and trailer and load didnt go over the gross weight of the truck it was ok . Dave

More
12 years 5 months ago #68100 by John Whale
hello fella"s thanks for replies thought i was sweet but with them you never know when i went to register mt bus i was told by the desk jockey that i needed a engineers report 2 weeks later i fronted up with one at another branch an hour and a half away (only place i could get a boooking) to be told by man in charge that because bus was first registered in 1969 that i did not need one man they do your head in whale

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds