More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #68459 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains

TC
Gudday M8
U got sum good advice
on 'How To'

RE: opperator & ignorance that will get you injured
Yep Specially if the dogee is interupted or iz talkn n not got his 100% mind on the job/dog

I find with a cheater pipe on dog
make sure it is fully on all the way on dog handle to avoid slipn off
Ifn U lean u're weight on the pipe with sholder make sure u're head is lower than the pipe
n always set dog to pull down with gravity in u're favor
as all things R easier to go down than up as in lifting etc

Az "contents may settle in transport" (Wheetiez Box)
Check tension on chains after a few pot holes have been negotiated
always good to wrap loop chain around load so ifn the chain cums loose U stihl got it

Here U go jist added a pic

make use of any slack in chain so it wont get to the ground or wrapt up in the wheels, it dubles the chain strength where the chain is duble but a chain is az only strong az its weekest link

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Swishy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #68460 by GM Diesel
Howdy,

Ratchet straps are good for tying your tele on the ute but arnt real good for keeping pipe in place :-/
Happened in Karratha last Friday....lucky fella.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
12 years 3 months ago #68461 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains
ouch - that would also make cornering difficult. What next - all pipes to be wrapped in cotton wool so they don't hurt on the way through? ;)

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 3 months ago #68462 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains
What happens when you use a headboard thats only good for decoration - you can see it neatly folded down.

More
12 years 3 months ago #68463 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains
Reminds me of when I worked for TNT and they in turn subbied for QRX. Used to pick up rolls of news paper from Hamilton wharf. One chain each end in a vee, then your others in between them over the top of the load (only 10mm transport chain) and blocks on the front and back roll. Drive very carefully.

A few steel trailers in Brisbane have 75 X 75 Rhs low head boards weded to the front of the trailer to stop this sort of thing.

More
12 years 3 months ago #68464 by Slimline871
Thats one bloke who SHOULD out lay some loot for a tatts ticket!

&&1924 Hart-Parr Type 20&&1966 Chamberlain super 90&&1959 Twin City G-vi&amp

More
12 years 3 months ago #68465 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains

Reminds me of when I worked for TNT and they in turn subbied for QRX. Used to pick up rolls of news paper from Hamilton wharf. One chain each end in a vee, then your others in between them over the top of the load (only 10mm transport chain) and blocks on the front and back roll. Drive very carefully.

A few steel trailers in Brisbane have 75 X 75 Rhs low head boards weded to the front of the trailer to stop this sort of thing.

Hoy, Cam, what's wrong with that ?

Used to load about 30/35 ton of paper that way, from the old wool sheds at Hedly Rd Hendra, over to the cardboard mob at West End.
An old Transtar DCF with a tri axle steel deck, a little Cummins, about 290 I think, with two rows high of rolls, and boy, she used to bellow going thru the CBD.
Only two chains required and a couple of tapered wooden chocks, under the front and back roll, held in place with only telecom rope. ::)

Didn't loose any that I new of ! ;D

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
12 years 3 months ago #68466 by ducky698
Replied by ducky698 on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains
if you turn up on a mine site in WA with those cam over binders you will be in the poo. some one got his jaw punched by one, he offered to help and was not aware of the issues involving them, now they are banned from mine sites, the ratchet ones only now. the ratchet ones work fine but you need to think ahead :)

Grant

More
12 years 3 months ago #68467 by oyamum
Replied by oyamum on topic Re: Use of dogs and chains

if you turn up on a mine site in WA with those cam over binders you will be in the poo. some one got his jaw punched by one, he offered to help and was not aware of the issues involving them, now they are banned from mine sites, the ratchet ones only now. the ratchet ones work fine but you need to think ahead :)

Grant

i think this here is the problem, a bloke got injured because he didnt know what he was doing not because of dodgy gear, you say the ratchet ones work but you need to think ahead, i reckon normal (lever type or whatever you wanna call them) work fine you just need to not be an idiot and know what your doing....
sorry ducky im not saying you dont im saying in general theres alot of blokes that dont know how to use gear properly and cuasing alot of stuff to be banned for no reason other than human ignorance ;)

More
12 years 3 months ago #68468 by Cunning Stunt
Litigation has spoilt everything. With Work Cover/ Work Safe and all the other mobs willing to fine a company over unsafe work practices, it's not worth the risk for a company to use dogs and cheater bars.

Sure they're okay in the right hands but as you've all pointed out, it's the blokes cutting corners who are the problem.

We have a new Drake float and I have banned over centre dogs and cheater bars from it, only ratchet binders are to be used. And also to cover our selves we've had a number of the employees do a 'Load Restraint Course' through a training company so that we have shown a duty of care.

From a company's point of view I can't risk that an operator, passer-by or willing helper could be mamed or killed through inexperience or negligence and then we are found liable due to a lack of Procedures or Work Instructions or the fact that the training has not been 'adequate enough'.

Been there, done that. You older experienced guys will be laughing at that but unfortunately, that's the way the industry has gone.

Time to leave and open a coffee shop I think :(

Some play hard to get

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds