Skip to main content

Tow / launch 8 tonne boat Isuzu FTS or Hino GT/FT

More
11 years 8 months ago #90093 by 40gt
Hi guys, I have been lurking in the back ground on HCVC for awhile, but this is my first post on here so please bear with me.

I've new to the trucking scene, hense so many questions and the long post.

The reason I am looking at buying a 2nd hand truck is this time around I'd like to be legal..... I'm getting older!

I am looking at buying a 4x4 truck to tow and launch my ~7 to 8 tonne boat & trailer.
The local boat storage place runs a Isuzu FTS750 & pulls up to 36ft boats with ease in and out of the water. They rarely use the 4x4 either.

My question to you is, if you had to choose would you go for a used Isuzu FTS - say 700 or 750 or a Hino GT or FT and why?
Or are there better options out there?

The budget is as low as possible, preferably < $30k.

I tend towards these trucks verses small prime movers as they have 4x4 and I believe are cheaper to register.

I am swaying towards the dual cabs & maybe even one with a crane as well.

But I have also been looking closely at the fire trucks as many have low kms and I believe are looked after.

One dealer I spoke to suggested I look closely at tippers as many are already set up for towing big trailers.
But I believe I have to stay with single rear axle or the registration costs get prohibative.

Is it correct to assume I should pay the extra coin to buy a registered truck?
I know from past experiance getting cars over the pits can be very costly, so I assume trucks maybe be even worse.
I live in Perth.

I also see some FTS 700s sell at auctions for 7 - 10k, but many are advertised on line for ~ $20 to $30k.

Should I consider buying trucks sold at auctions, but hire someone who knows what they are looking at to go over them first?
Or as a general statement - are they just not worth the risk for a newbie like me?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90094 by Bruce99
Good post but you didn't indicate how many bitumen miles it'll be doing?
A chap here in Kingston only has a KM to go to the boat ramp & uses a Chamberlain tractor.

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
11 years 8 months ago #90095 by atkipete
Are you launching off the beach or a proper boat ramp. ?

More
11 years 8 months ago #90096 by kenny-mopar
both the isuzu and hino are good trucks ... and yes at auctions they can be had a lot cheaper ...but first id ask the question do you need 4wd? ..maybe just a 2wd truck with grippy tyres on the back would do the trick ? generally a 2wd will give you a better cruising speed if you do have a few kms to travel... also in some states at least if your towing 8 ton or more you need a HC (semi licence) if you havnt one already (like me :o )

cheers ken

More
11 years 8 months ago #90097 by Karl Robbers
I can vouch for the fact that ex fire trucks are generally a good thing, although speed is generally not their strongest point.
You will only have to get stuck once, with the tide incoming to wish you had four wheel drive.
I thought we had gone to a national licencing scheme, (although would be equally surprised if agreement was reached by all)? If so, then a 9T trailer would be permissable on a MR licence, so you would be covered.
As an aside, what braking system does your boat trailer use - you will need to factor this into costings for your truck purchase if trailer brakes need to be fitted to your truck, (I doubt that any fire truck will have them, but ex drill rigs and ex telstra may well do).

More
11 years 8 months ago #90098 by 40gt
Thanks for the replys guys.

"how many bitumen miles it'll be doing ?"
The majority of the time the trip will be to my boat club ramp which is on the other end of Perth so ~ 65 kms each way, mostly freeway kms avoiding peak hour traffic.
However I have been known to do crazy things like tow boats across Australia, so I would not discard a big trip or two, but that won't happen often. 99% of the trips will be 130km round trips or less.

Are you launching off the beach or a proper boat ramp. ?
Always proper boat ramps near high tide - so theoretically reasonable traction. But even wet ramps can be slippery from experiance.

ask the question do you need 4wd?
I have researched this a lot. There is a small prime mover at the boat ramp quite often that tows a fair sized boat. He has had to put a water tank over the back wheels for added traction. The professional boat haulers, with the FTS 750 said they have only used 4x4 once. But like Karl said, you only have to get stuck once, especially in a truck, and your day is ruined, or at least all the fun is gone.

a 9T trailer would be permissable on a MR licence,
In WA my research gave the same results. I have my MR learners permit & I'm working on getting the MR license. Seems strange having to learn to drive again .... I towed a 35ft trailer / boat for 10 years all over Aussie behind a big car. But for safety I have to admit a truck is the safer option. Plus the latest boat is a little bigger again.

what braking system does your boat trailer use ?
The boat is a US import, as is the trailer it sits on, so I will have to have the trailer converted to full Aussie standards. So it will have full air brakes / parking brake / break away system - the same as the big pig trailers. Big dollars to convert, but thats another story.

Thanks guys.
Well it looks like I am on the right track.

More questions .....
Anyone know anyone knowlegable on trucks, in the Perth area, who would be willing to help, whom I could hire to assess the trucks before auctions? Someone who knows what the pits boys are looking for and possibly make a guestimate for repairs. So I'd have a better handle on what to bid. If so, please send me a "message" with their contact details.

Does anyone have a checklist what the government vehical inspection boys are looking at. Is there a copy on the internet somewhere I have missed. That would give me a heads up for my own education.

Cheers.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90099 by Roderick Smith
This Isuzu works well, and seems never to have to get its feet wet: everything is winched.
It has used short ramps at Yarrawonga (below and above the weir) and at Albury. These are ramps where I couldn't launch/retrieve my shorther (9 m) and lighter boat, as I would have to push trailer wheels over the drop at the end of the concrete to float on.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
11 years 8 months ago #90100 by Tacho
G'day 40gt, re your question about what the inspectors look for when doing a roadworthy inspection.

A couple of years ago I went into the Regency Park office in Adelaide and asked that same question. That is where the heavy vehicle inspection is done. The response was a blank stare, several seconds of silence and a reply that if in doubt, fix it. I don't think they use a set list, but go looking with a 'black light' and a steel bar to prod and lever. Suspension and steering, brakes, oil leaks, structural rust. oil leaks, lights etc are all priorities.

The bloke who used to look after my Scania a few years ago told me they would send in trucks with a small fault so the inspector could find it and send it back to be fixed. That way he may not go looking too hard, as they seemed to like to make you come back a second time.

In the end it will probably depend on whether he had fun in bed the night before, or had a blue with the missus that morning. The one good thing to come out of it is the road worthy certificate gives a bit of peace of mind and confidence to travel longer distances.

Good luck with what ever happens. Geoff

More
11 years 8 months ago #90101 by Eddy

.. send in trucks with a small fault so the inspector could find it and send it back to be fixed. That way he may not go looking too hard, as they seemed to like to make you come back a second time.

Absolutely!! ... Old Street Machiners' trick also.
Of the three modified cars I built, I followed this same advice. Left a few minor things like wipers or washers, horn, hazard lights etc for them to find. second visit was always quick and painless. 8-)

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
11 years 8 months ago #90102 by 40gt
Thanks for the tips and advice guys.

I'll let you know how I get on down the track and and any hurdles I come across along the way.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds