Skip to main content

Tow / launch 8 tonne boat Isuzu FTS or Hino GT/FT

More
11 years 8 months ago #90103 by Johnm020
We use a mitsubishi canter 4x4 for a fire truck but the model we use may be a bit light for your application very capable off road but takes a while to get it wound up.

Check if you are eligible to upgrade to HR licence and the cost. HR lets you drive any rigid vehicle and tow a 9 tonne trailer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #90104 by bwanainoz
I have purchased in the last 2.5 years in Perth 3 x used FTS750 4x4 Isuzus. All ex Western Power or Electricity Supply company vehicles. 2 had less than 150000 kilometres on clock and 1 had 190000 kilometres on clock when purchased. Two tow single axle tag-a-long trailers with around 6000kg ATM and 1 tows 10m Caravan with 4500kg ATM.

1 x 1998 model - standard 10.00x20 rims and tyres
1 x 2003 model - Super singles on front
1 x 2004 model - super singles on front

GVM: 13000kg
GCM: 18000kg offroad
GCM: 20500kg onroad

The vehicles operate in the greater Tanami region WA/NT. The two with the super singles operate primarily in sandy terrain and the super singles are a definite advantage. Tyre pressures are usually around 280kpa (40lb) both to traverse corrugations and also floatation in the sand. They are excellent trucks for this purpose, although we do also carry conveyor belting with us for deep sand / sand dune country in the event we bog in. ( I should mention the trucks are loaded to maximum capacity 90% of the time). These trucks are not designed for speed - 90-95kph and staying within green on tacho is flat out on bitumen. We generally drive around 80kph on bitumen and anywhere from 5-70kph on gravel depending on surface conditions. I have also operated Nissan 4x4 trucks similar GVM to FTS Isuzus and they have been just as good as the Isuzu's (Holden v Ford in my opinion).
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by bwanainoz.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90105 by HeyCharger

.. send in trucks with a small fault so the inspector could find it and send it back to be fixed. That way he may not go looking too hard, as they seemed to like to make you come back a second time.

Absolutely!! ... Old Street Machiners' trick also.
Of the three modified cars I built, I followed this same advice. Left a few minor things like wipers or washers, horn, hazard lights etc for them to find. second visit was always quick and painless. 8-)

Same thing in aviation with DCA inspector ::) Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
11 years 8 months ago #90106 by kenny-mopar
other option would be put cracked rotten eggs in hidden spots around your vehicle ...id doubt they would do a full and thorough inspection ;)

More
11 years 8 months ago #90107 by MBTRAC
The ex-fire trucks are generally good buys (ditto for ex-Defence ) & the difference in Isuzu vs Hino comes down to personal preference, IMO the Isuzu seems marginally more "torquier" in performance - I've run both as fertilizer spreaders & the like ...& as others have said these trucks are happiest on road cruising at no more than c.90kph.

Check the clutch operation as some of the volunteer "operators" give the clutch a hiding (usually by rolling off in 2nd gear whilst fully loaded), & the engines can also suffer some glazing from idling for hours on end (fire trucks are never shut down on a fireground).

The FTS750's are full time 4WD so tyre wear & fuel usuage may be a little higher than expected, whereas the Hino GT/FT's are part time selectable 4Wd's.
(A few Hino's as I recall may be fitted with auto's if that's your preference).

One thing you will notice is climbing in & out of the cab is extra painful (more so for rear passengers if you get a crew cab & the passenger seats are woeful for long trips) as these are high vehicles with the design biased for off road usage, also noticable in the compromised cab ride/handling.

More
11 years 7 months ago #90108 by JBran
I think one difference is that the air intake on the Hino is just behind one of the front wheels, which could be problems on dusty roads, and if you needed to enter the water a bit more than a decent ramp to put your boat out. I think on the Isuzu it is a bit higher, or above the cab

More
11 years 7 months ago #90109 by MBTRAC

I think one difference is that the air intake on the Hino is just behind one of the front wheels, which could be problems on dusty roads, and if you needed to enter the water a bit more than a decent ramp to put your boat out. I think on the Isuzu it is a bit higher, or above the cab

Good point & certainly something to check out - though unsure of standard specs, all the ex fre trucks I've seen have had a raised intakes mid Cab or to Cab height

More
11 years 7 months ago #90110 by allan
The Isuzu's don't mind getting their feet wet :o

More
11 years 7 months ago #90111 by tim
Allan, I've got a feeling that the Driver and/or crew got stood down over this little incident, but not sure. Some of the Melbourne members might have a better idea. Amazing how deep it went though. Doubt I'd have been that keen if it was my own truck. Cheers Tim ;) ;D :o ::)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 7 months ago #90112 by John Whale
tim i have got a water tanker watched at a fire one day a tanker go into a paddock through some tussocks and buried it to the" diff "can happen but the two behind should not have followed him in cheers whale

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds