Skip to main content

Seized Engine

More
7 years 2 months ago #180002 by D8H
Seized Engine was created by D8H
Need to unseized an Inter AOS6. Can anyone recommend a good mixture to put down the plug holes that may help free things up.
Thank You.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180010 by fjwb
Replied by fjwb on topic Seized Engine
You could try something as simple as WD40 or similar. Heavy duty option could be molasses, although that will destroy aluminium pistons etc, depends what part of the motor you want to save and how badly seized it is, also how it seized? run with no oil or water ingress?

More
7 years 2 months ago #180012 by mackme
Replied by mackme on topic Seized Engine
I've had success with a couple of seized engines by putting a mix of penetrene and diesel
down the bores about 50 50. Then after sitting the use of a big bar on the flywheel. Cheers

More
7 years 2 months ago #180146 by Oldengines
Replied by Oldengines on topic Seized Engine
i have had some success with auto trans fluid mixed with acetone, very thin and oily, cheers,
Chester.

More
7 years 2 months ago #180149 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Seized Engine
WD40 sprayed into the plug holes, then walk away from it for at least a day. Try turning at the crankshaft. If no joy, repeat again, etc, etc until it does start to move. It took me about three days to achieve 5 degrees of movement with my engine, at which point I worked it to and fro, applied more WD40 and walked away again for a couple of days. Gradually I was able to manage about 60 degrees of movement (one flat on the crank nut!) and then gave it a really good dose, left it for another couple of days and then hit it with the starter motor; result was a s-l-o-w wind over that gradually improved over the following week, but still insufficient speed to fire. Or so I thought . . .
With a decent battery on it and only an occassiojnal backfire I started looking a bit closer and discovered non-existent compressions and four valves stuck open!! Side note - check your valves earlier than I did ;) it may be easier to remove the head and ensure valves are okay before too much effort, also providing better access to pistons/rings/cylinders :dry:
Good luck, WD40 + patience + perseverance will get you there in the end :oops:

More
7 years 2 months ago #180163 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Seized Engine
Take your chosen lubricant, heat it and then tip it into the cylinders. Plumbing an air compressor into the spark plug hole will help expedite the process, but be warned that the engine may turn over if it lets go in a hurry.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #180311 by Rusty Engines
Replied by Rusty Engines on topic Seized Engine
*** As Chester has said, I have had some success with auto trans fluid mixed with acetone, very thin and oily, cheers,***
Used it a number of time in stationary engines
The test below was on nuts but works the same on stuck pistons
Ian

Of special interest to anyone who's Nuts about Bolts:
Penetrating Oils
Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this.
The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.
They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.
They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the
control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils .......... Average torque load to loosen
*No Oil used .................. 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix..........53 pounds *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid
The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product.
In this one particular test our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results.
Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" For about 20% of the price.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Rusty Engines. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound, SWR, Tacho

More
7 years 2 months ago #180318 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Seized Engine
I tried the ATF and Acetone in a GM diesel and well it didnt work any good ran straight out the air box drains onto the shed floor LOL oh what a knob head I am at times

Anyway as it turned out the blower had grown with corrosion or what ever the call it in aluminium but I pulled it apart cleaned it and it seems to work ok

Finally got it running yesterday for the first time in 20 years now I just gotta fix the oil leaks

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 months ago #180321 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Seized Engine
You are now obliged to use it regularly on the farm :)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 2 months ago #180441 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Seized Engine
I'm obviously too lazy to look elsewhere or mix up potions and just struggle on with my WD40. Maybe I'm not in such a rush as some of you?

If'n it don't happen today, maybe it will tomorrow, or next week. Ho hum, beer o'clock anyway! :dry: :blink:

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds