Skip to main content

Wild old cranvel crane

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187624 by JMR
Wild old cranvel crane was created by JMR
G'day all.

Just acquired this old Cranvel crane, believe it started life at the Mossman mill before being used at the slipways.

Has been fairly abused looking at the state of the boom but everything bar the crane axle brakes and the cylinder for the running rope works well.

PO had used chicken fat, as in the drippings from cooked chooks (!!!!), as hydraulic oil, drained it all, nearly being sick in the process and refilled it and everything works okay, with the exception of smelling foul (fowl?)

the 4wd winch used for a running rope is scary even by my books!

Can anyone hazard a guess on a rough date? its got what I think is a 4.270 perk in a 9G (?) Chamberlain. rated at 6 ton on the back hook and 5 and 4 towards the front.

Cheers!

Jacko.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by JMR. Reason: removing double picture

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187625 by Roger W
Replied by Roger W on topic Wild old cranvel crane
My IH A41-2 is a similar design and is late 1960s.

Roger

More
6 years 6 months ago #187626 by JMR
Replied by JMR on topic Wild old cranvel crane
G'day Roger.

Have you got a picture?

cheers.

Jacko.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187641 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Wild old cranvel crane
A Mk2 Champion will be mid sixties.If it still has a genny and starter,all Lucas stuff is dated.And despite the rubbish you read on forums ,is very reliable.If its a 9G,it will have three speeds in the rear end,the standard has two.The sandblasters I worked for the last 10 yrs working had a fleet of varios Mk2 Champion cranes,and a few Mk3s and a 6cyl Mk 4.The old Cranvel "Dinosaurs" were marvellous cranes,triple ram,lift anything.The old foreman used to regularly lift the big shed off its foundations when taking big stuff in and out,if there wasnt enough headroom under the sliding doors.All the cranes had skids along the boom tops so door tracks would lift up as the cranes went thru.One of the kiwi laborers rammed the three stage boom of a BHB through the shed wall and into the overhead crane wires,shorting them out.Said he didnt know the boom was out.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187669 by JMR
Thanks John, sounds like you used to have some fun with the laborers down there! This old girl only has 2 lifting rams but it certainly punches above its weight.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187670 by Roger W
Replied by Roger W on topic Wild old cranvel crane
Here you go, Jacko. IH A41-2, based on a 564 by the look of the grille.

Roger

Attachments:

More
6 years 6 months ago #187675 by JMR
Thanks Roger.

The crane half looks almost identical too mine, they are a handy bit of gear and you wonder how you ever got on without it!

cheers.

Jacko.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187702 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Wild old cranvel crane
The sandblasters closed down a couple of years ago.The ex owner went to the auction,told me the cranes went for peanuts,even the 12 ton BHB with 3 stage and rope.And a very rare 2f/2r Borg Warner auto trans.Other partner Col paid $58,000 for it at the Gold Coast Council auction some years ago.Crane Safe has killed all old cranes .The new owners(IDEC) tried Franna cranes,but they are hopeless in a confined yard situation.You cant beat a tractor crane for visibility.I reckon the laborers would be able to concentrate on their drug sales business full time.

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds