Skip to main content

Model D Tournapull for sale..............

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 11 months ago #193126 by BillyP
Spotted this recently, in the Bilpin area, Kurrajong way.................

To the old blokes it is just a D Pull...............

I took a few more pics but , in the meantime, a bit of nostalgia...................

contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/model-d/
.............................Billy..................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #193144 by Dave_64
Hey Billy!
Shoot, that takes this old scribbler back a few years!
If I remember correctly, before Westinghouse bought into Robert G, the original ones had clutch and brake steering and were often called "widow-makers", for good reason, tended to cross steer when going down any sort of decent incline, definitely had to be on the ball.
That bit of a movie clip shows one being push-loaded with the rubber tyred LW dozer, many a plantie in the Army (Ginger-Beers) would have learnt on them.
Had the same engine/transmissions but with air assisted steering.
Two of them sitting in a contractors yard (not for sale) here in town, one open bowl manual, one paddle with an Allison and a few badly dismembered carcasses.
I (not so fondly) remember the DC steer motors, had to rev you-know-what out of the engines to get them to respond. If ever moving them on the road going from one job to another, motorists tended to give you a wide berth.
Reckon the last of them went to a power ram steer system, but that may have been on the bigger models, 222's and 333's.
Dave
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: correction

More
5 years 11 months ago #193157 by Southbound
No money wasted there on fancy sign boards!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #193251 by BillyP
A bit of graffiti there SB..........
Yeah Dave, that about sums up the situation............
Iron men in wooden ships may be the term for the old plant operators.........

Here is a pic of the 300v 3 phase generator, with the heart of the elec system perched on top.
That bunch of wires and coils told the generator what output was required at the time..............
The generator was bolted onto the back of the 471 GM with the Allison powershift ( in this case a 4 speed with lockup
giving 8 forward speeds.)hanging on it..........( i think lockup worked in all gears).........

.Here is the container for the rectifier, (which was immersed in transformer oil )....The rectifiers job was to change
any 3 phase current to DC current that was required to run any assessories, charge the batteries etc....and supply
the exciting DC current that the generator needed to fire out the 300v 3 phase to do its selected job......
(steering , elevators or whatever..............)..

Here ia a pic of the dash showing the steering toggle switch......other toggles operated any other elecs that were fitted....
In this case, only one other for the elevators is fitted under the panic bar, r/h side of dash...........

Transmission change gate..........later models had a 6 speed tranny..............

Serial No plate.........(built at Rydalmere Plant)

Thats about it for this round...............
.........................Billy...........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds