Skip to main content

Inter AW6 Petrol Engine

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204652 by Sarge
This is really about the old Super Loader, but as far as I can tell the Engine (or is it Motor) is identical to the AW6, and various other petrol or petrol kero Inter Tractors of that vintage.
And by my standards the engine is running fine but the old muffler I added about 10 years ago has fallen apart with all the excitement of the restart. In getting ready to plant a brand new old stock car muffler up top I bothered to have a look at the manifold and noticed a flap, like a choke flap in the neck of the manifold leading up to the exhaust & muffler. This has of course rusted into place, partly closed. Will it make any difference if I open it up.??? The old girl gets along OK if I nurse her, she struggles a bit getting off the mark in higher gears or loaded and up hill, but once the clutch is out and she is going she splutters along OK.

It is probable this engine came out of an agri Tractor as I believe the loader had at least a swept back muffler or an under muffler some how. The engine cover has been attacked with a can opener at some stage to get the exhaust through it.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204653 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Sarge, that’s not one of those flapper valves in the manifold to assist in rapid warm up, is it? Looks a bit like something similar in the old LeRoi petrol engines with the updraft carby , used to have a bob weight on them and relied on the volume of the exhaust gas rushing through it to keep it open when under full load. If so, should be free enough to open/close when required. BUT a WAG at best. Dave

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 4 months ago #204657 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Me aint upto speed on u're Inter dooodadd
It could B az Cogz sez a flap to heat the manifold faster
like ......... may B start on petrol n wen she gets sum warm switch over to Kero
WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204658 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Yep, what Dave and Swisho said. The idea is to warm up the intake manifold when the engine is cold or operating in very cold conditions or the carby will ice up. Some have a bobweight, some have a spring and some have a cable to the dash like a choke cable.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Southbound.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204659 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Sarge, the W6 owner's manual says "the kerosene engine manifold is designed so the hot exhaust gases pass around the intake manifold and heat the incoming fuel mixture, resulting in maximum efficiency under all normal operating conditions. The manifold heat control valve has four adjustment positions: top notch, "HOT" position; two centre notches "INTERMEDIATE" positions; bottom notch "COLD" position."

The pic in the book shows the grub screw in the second to bottom notch (as yours is) for general operation. Second to top notch for light loads. Top notch for very light loads or extreme cold weather. Bottom notch for constant heavy loads.

I would tend to leave well enough alone! Brett.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204660 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Sarge what the others said we’ve got two AM farmalls petrol kero ran them on standard petrol after power kero got too expensive and too hard to get then unleaded interrow cultivating corn and sorghum no issues even on hot days
Ours are set in th second hole from bottom like yours
Must be the default setting so don’t shift it it might upset the engine management system
Seriously I’d say it would be seized up and probably end up breaking something trying to shift it

Cheers Bluey

More
4 years 4 months ago #204661 by 2strokesrule
Sarge, what the others have said, thats a Kero manifold and you closed the flap to get enough heat into it to run on Power Kerosine, long gone now, the closest thing now is emolium emulsifier that is used to break down tar for road construction. If you run the old girl on Petrol all the time there is no harm at all removing the flap entirely. good luck, 2strokesrule.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204664 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Yep everyone is right on the mark to aid in heating the inlet manifold to vapourise fuel and run efficiently. The David Brown has one as well and is totally stuck where it is and there it will stay.
Even the old Holden grey motor had one of these flaps and was spring loaded so in theory as it heated up the bi-metalic spring would open the flap. Never did see one that worked as designed.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204669 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
Thankyou all for yor very conclusive answers, stuck flap will remain stuck, and new muffler fitting will proceed.

Old girl runs on unleaded and or premium unleaded, with no difference detectable by this operator. Occasionally I get exited and put some flash lube in the tank.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204694 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Inter AW6 Petrol Engine
We run premium in all our stuff and always add the flashlube to be certain.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds