Skip to main content

30C Fuel Leak

More
1 year 5 months ago #241041 by cobbadog
30C Fuel Leak was created by cobbadog
A little while back David started leaking a small amount of fuel, then not long after that an oil leak turned up. So today was lets start stripping him down to fix. Side covers, muffler, bonnet, scuttle plate off just to get to the fuel tank. To make it easier the steering wheel is off so it is a straight up lift for the fuel tank once I drained what ever fuel was left. All the time while delving into the unknown I was thinking of a copper patch I soldered on when I bought the tractor and hoped that was it but at the same time that fuel tank sealing kit was suppose to seal the tank anyway.

With the tank on the bench I started with 10psi of compressed air and soapy water, no bubbles form the patch but the patch did look suspect along one edge. So I kept up with the air and soapy water and getting no where fast. So I have some blanks to seal off the fuel outlets and fitted them and put some fuel in the front section of the tank, the TVO section nearest the engine. Nothing obvious and I did put a fair amount of fuel in the tank but nothing. Then at the opposite end of the tank I noticed it was wet. Turned the tank about and there was a small weep comming out of a very tiny hole so that was one that needed soldering. Near that is a bolt fixed to the tank like an earth bolt but it looked a possibility so I drained the tank and prepared those 2 places and the copper patch for some soft soldering.

So first was the patch, I ran the iron along that edge with more solder and then went to the weep hole and bolt. Put some solder on these and had fun getting the solder to take to the metal tank even using killed spirits as the acid. Eventually I thought it was good enough so let it cool off and then put some fuel back into the TVO section as before and after a bit of time that same weep hole started to get damp again so will revisit it again tomorrow.

Not the very strange part of all this is the TVO holding tank is at the opposite end of the tank where it is leaking. So not that it is a problem but it is getting past the divider in the tank to leak out, bloody odd. Since I only run petrol in the tractor it is not a problem just confusing how it is happening and again this is with a tank sealing kit in it.

Something else I did before painting David was to weld the nuts to the underside of the dashboard panel. Anyone who has had to remove and replace a dash board on a D.B. fully understands the drama in trying to get to those nuts underneath. Now it is a simple case of a 7/16" spanner on the bolt on top.

The oil leak is as simple as the rocker cover gasket leaking so will do that after the fuel leak.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241088 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 30C Fuel Leak
You could have video'd yourself using a lighted candle to try and find the leak.

That would have kept us laughing all weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 5 months ago #241094 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 30C Fuel Leak
I would have needed a wide angle lense to capture the complete exit if I did that.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241095 by cobbadog
This is where I am at now. Started the day with having to 'dress' my soldering iron as most of the tinning had gone. So back to basics and filed it to shape then tinned it. Now ready for the job again as I was not happy with how I tried to repair the tank so I started again. Removed excess solder and tinned the area then made a copper patch and tinned it both sides. Next was to sweat the patch in place then go around the edges and fill them. Happy with the outcome and trial of fuel and no leaks so it is now in primer all round except for the front side of the tank which is in great condition and is hidden away behind an engine and behind the side covers plus it gives me an end to stand the tank on when painting. Now waiting for the primer to dry and the wind to drop so I can re-spray again. May not be tomorrow but soon after that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241107 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic 30C Fuel Leak
Don't forget to leave your shirt open . . . :lol:

More
1 year 5 months ago #241112 by cobbadog
This time it is 2pak paint not just that epoxy paint and that is harder to get out of whiskers. Tomorrow we are going to replace the awning skin on the caravan so the painting wou nt get donw until Sunday and that is expected to be nice warm day too.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241118 by cobbadog
All good for tomorrow to paint the tank. We spent this morning replacing the awning skin on the caravan. Simple enough in theory but we have to take the van out in the street as carport poles and garden are in the way of doing it in the driveway and not enough Roundup to fix the garden. Old skin off after using an angle grinder to remove the lock spline on the roller tube which effectively cuts the fabric. Slid the bottom trim off and then the main part of the skin. Opened up the top sail track for the new slightly thicker cloth and connected the top and bottom into the right grooves and slid it all on, easy. Had to then insert the cloth into the lock groove and fit the new spline. Was told that you push the spline in the same way as the cloth, B/S you do. It too has to be slid in from the end so I used the metal scribe with the right angle bend to pearce the new spline that sat about 300mm in place then dragged the spline along to the other end. Tried the awning and the springs were not tensioned right for the new heavier cloth so removed one end at a time and put 2 full turns on each end, job done packed up and put away. After tensioning the RH end I went to fit the #3 phillips head screw and it would not tighten. Bloody Rivnut cam out so it now lives in the bin and I fitted a standard 1/4" BSW nut with loctite.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241119 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 30C Fuel Leak
I wonder if the neighbours looked out their window and thought "Cobba has buggered up the caravan awning"

More
1 year 5 months ago #241120 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic 30C Fuel Leak
Gee it's fun being retired Cobba, with all this time to relax. Welcome to reality.
Steve

More
1 year 5 months ago #241123 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 30C Fuel Leak
I was thinking only a pom would call a 1/4' BSW "standard" in this day and age.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds