Skip to main content

Thanks to Cobbadog

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #250467 by oliver1950
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/oldjunk/19345-husk...deck-repair?start=40
Re above link.
This is thank you to Cobbadog  for inspiring me to step out of my comfort zone and attempt a repair on my mower deck.
This is one of 3 ride on mowers we use to mow our 4 acres of lawn, 2 John Deere and  a Murray.
This 62 inch deck is on a John Deere X595  4wd lawn tractor that I bought second hand after the floods a few years ago as the John Deere 455 2wd was getting bogged
The deck was not in the best condition when I bought it but I didn't realise how expensive a new bare deck would be.

I read some where that if you have to grind your weld you are a grinder not a welder , the cap fits so I will wear it. I admit I am new to MIG welding. I started by cutting out the rusted bits and welding in new pieces

This next one was difficult as it had a curve in the middle but I perservered and got it done

Then I welded 4mm thick flanges where the spindles go through the deck to strengthen them and 12mm rod around the front to strengthen it as well
 Finally I had to weld up the holes in the gearbox mounts and redrill them to fit the new rubber mounts

You are not authorised to see this attachment.

Fully assembled with new blades, belt, wheel axles and wheels

So thanks Cobbadog  for the inspiration

You can't have too many toys!
Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by oliver1950. Reason: fixed 1 mistake rod is 12mm not 10
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, Southbound, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250468 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Well done

I have never had any real luck patching mower decks

They just crack near were I welded them

That been said it could be the bloke driving the welder

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, grandad, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250470 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
The level of expertise blossoming around here is great, but it's enough to make a bloke start thinking about being a little more discrete when sharing some of his (lack of) progress photos . . . ?  
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, grandad, wee-allis

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250476 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Don't even think about it Pom. Keep them coming. To see your dream and inspiration progressing is inspirational to us all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, V8Ian, PDU, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250481 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Oliver, you have well exceeded my mess by creating your very own masterpiece. It looks brilliant n with those strengthening plates n rod will last a long time.
I too am a grinder not a welder. Doing thise curves comes fown to making pie cuts n tack welds. I would be lost without my grinder n cut off wheels.
Now your all ready for mowing once the eet moves on.
Fantastic work.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, grandad, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #250485 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Well done Oliver. When you look at the cost of the new deck verses the cost of a welder, consumables and your time you are well ahead. 
I really enjoy working with steel and have a lathe and MIG etc. and can get carried away making things instead of buying them, also making special tools and pullers to work on my projects. 

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, grandad, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250546 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Until recently my Wife has wheelbarrowed garden trimmings to a spot I reckon is about half way to Alice Springs, more recently this has been my job. With some thought, plus help from our Son Ian and the scrap heap this has resulted and been christened this morning.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250549 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
No doubt Cobbarette thanked you for your timely cartage modifications once you took over . . . ?  

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #250550 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Thanks to Cobbadog
Southbound, I too have a lathe, mig etc just need to learn how to use them better. I do like messing about with steel.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds