Skip to main content

Chamberlain.. 4-270, 6spd? model?? help???

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25726 by davitt
Conquip
industrial loader
3spd, spliter x2 6spd
are they worth anything??? everthing works, complete not used, forks..... Need information on this model...???

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/davitt2910/stuff/SANY0039.jpg?t=1270254050
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/davitt2910/stuff/SANY0038.jpg?t=1270254116

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25727 by kennymopar2
unfortunally the tractor parked beside the chamberlain would be worth a lot more !theres not much point in looking at something old like that chamberlain (early 1960s) unless you have some work for it to do or want to restore it . . not much chance at getting your money back either ..

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #25728 by
It's a Chamberlain 6G Industrial tractor, fitted with the FEL 27 Conquip front end loader.

Conquip Ltd operated a subsidiary company (known as Construction Equipment Co. P/L), that produced a range of attachments for industrial and farm use.

The original Construction Equipment Co. P/L, was formed in 1949 as a private company. After 2 successful years, the company, Conquip Ltd, was formed as a public company, to buy all the issued capital of Construction Equipment Co. P/L, so that the companies could be listed on the stock exchange.

After Conquip bought up Construction Equipment Co. P/L, they retained Construction Equipment Co. P/L as a subsidiary operating company.
No doubt, Conquip was planning to acquire other businesses, to be operated as subsidiaries as well. I'm not sure if this actually came about.

Construction Equipment Co. P/L were based in Parramatta Rd, Sydney .. and they sold a wide range of equipment and attachments, ranging from road brooms to cranes and FEL's.
They built dozer blades, rippers, logging winches, wrecking balls, and were the importers/agents for Italian Vender crawler tractors (now see if you can find one of THEM!!) .. :D
In 1954, Conquip gained the rights to distribute David Brown crawler tractors and wheeltractors in the state of N.S.W. They also got the O.K. from David Brown to manufacture any attachments needed for DB products.

Conquip sold the Chamberlain/Conquip front end loader complete, by buying new Chamberlain 6G Industrial tractors off Chamberlain, then fitting the Conquip FEL to it. The tractor is 57HP, has a total of 6 forward speeds (thus the 6G name) and it was probably all built in the late 1950's.
A good reliable old loader, if a little slow and clumsy, and heavy on the steering when the bucket was full. The tractor FEL's such as this, were fairly poor performers, except in stockpile work, because they have inadequate weight on the rear wheels. However, they were top-of-the-wozza in 1958 and 1959 .. ;)

The rig as it stands, is probably worth about $2500-$3000. The condition of the motor and tyres governs what it's worth. With an old rig like this, a set of new rear tyres would cost you half the loaders worth. Thus, if it had really good tyres, it would be worth $4000 .. ;)
The tyres on the back are at about 15%, and the front ones .. well .. they'd make good drag slicks .. :D
A set of forks is a $250 bonus, and if she goes well, it will sell easily to people with hobby farms or small blocks, who just want a cheap FEL to do some odd work around the block, such as placing fill for a house or shed site, road repair, and a bit of general light lifting ability.

Is it for sale? .. or does it belong to you? .. or, are you looking at buying it? ..

Conquip went on to build their own, complete 4WD articulated frame loader .. and you can see, it's fitted with the same loader setup as the Chamberlain ..
This Conquip loader is very rare, and I've never seen one in my 50+ years of interest in earthmoving equipment .. it's possible they only built a couple of prototypes, and they never got enough acceptance to generate any sales .. :'(

recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/PhotoSea...?M=0&B=11789541&SE=1

recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/PhotoSea...?M=0&B=11789588&SE=1

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #25729 by
Here's a bloke who's got one, and he's pretty proud of it. I can see why, it's in really nice shape. He started off in February wanting $10,000 for it .. he knocked back a single $6000 offer .. now he's come back to $8500. He's got no bids after 2 months, I reckon he should have grabbed the $6000 offered, that was a fair offer. The tyres on his machine are nothing to write home to Mother about .. :D

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170454812238

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25730 by mammoth
It has level lift arrangement which is good, but can't see arrangement for crowding the bucket??

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25731 by kennymopar2
beginning of last december i looked at a chamberlain (conquip) with front end loader backhoe ..the guy said i could of had it for 3 grand .. on the day it wasnt starting & when it did the backhoe part didnt have much grunt ..in retrospect probably just needed a few minor repairs ..the chamberlain ive got now has only a front blade ...but at least its got balls :D

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25732 by mammoth
The backhoe noy having grunt may have been because the hydraulic pump was cactus - give it some work at lower revs and you should hear the motor start working against the load. a new generic pump would be around $900

14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #25733 by

in retrospect probably just needed a few minor repairs

Yeah, that's what all the sellers tell ya .. :D
Not many people want to fix anything .. for two reasons. One - most people are flat out at their day job, family requirements, and "honey-do" jobs. They just haven't got enough excess time, to fix items that need attention.
Two - most "minor repairs" .. ::) .. generally turn into major repairs. We've always had a saying in my gang, for repairs .. "double the number .. and go to the next highest unit .. " :'(
That means .. that any little fix that looks like a 10 minute job .. turns into a 20 HOUR drama .. and something that will "only take a couple of days" .. turns into 4 WEEKS, of solid wrenching, parts hunting, skinned knuckles, holdups and frustration .. :'( :'(

I'm helping a mate out right now. He's got an old Clark forklift. It's a AY40 model. It's powered by a grey Holden motor, if some of you blokes can remember back that far .. :D
It runs like a top, but the tilt rams leak down like crazy. You can't hold a load level, without keeping the tilt lever engaged full-time .. :(
So .. muggins here, says to mate .. "lets get into these fork tilt rams and get them fixed up .. it won't take us long .." ::)
Nearly two weeks later .. we might have the fork running again on Tuesday .. :'(
We ripped the rams off and got 'em apart, no problems .. less than a couple of hours. "Oooohh-errr! .. look at that, would ya?? Leather buckets for seals! .. :-/
I wonder what our chances are, of finding THEM?? .. :-/
Ring up Clarklift .. "You've got a WHAT??? .. sorry mate, we need a S/N before we even start! .. "
Luckily, we HAVE a S/N. Gave it to Clarklift .. the answer comes back .. "There's a number missing off the S/N! - it needs to have one more number, or we can't do anything! .."
Me - "Mate, that IS the S/N! You're lucky we've even got it .. this thing was built in the days before S/No's were even thought of! .. "
Clarklift parts bloke - "Geez, the earliest listing we have, is a CY40! I'll hunt around and see what we can find, though!"
True to his word, the good parts man did his best .. but the seals he produced didn't even faintly resemble, what we had .. :'(

So .. off to the seal crowds. Transeals wants $650 to make new seals out of urethane! (insert SWOON icon here).
Me to Transeals bloke .. "Mate .. that is HALF the total value of the forklift!! .. "
I try to short circuit them. "How about you SELL me the urethane, and WE'LL machine them up? (seeing as mate runs a machine shop) .. "

Transeals .. "Oh, well, we COULD do that .. but you have to buy a minimum of 30cm of urethane rod .. that'll be $350, please .. " GRRRRRRRRRRR ... >:(

Off to my favorite local (small - 2 man) seal & hydraulics mob, around the corner from my shop .. "What can we do with this?", I ask .. as I show him the ram piston ..

"Hmm", he says .. what I can do .. is supply you with a 3 piece, standard ram seal .. BUT .. seeing as this thing is an ODDBALL .. 4 9/16" .. diameter .. I'll have to get them made. It'll take 2-3 days. You'll have to remachine the piston. Cost is $95 per seal set".
I sat down with my mate and we figured that this was the best deal. The remachining was pretty simple and straightforward. Nothing that wouldn't take any more than 10 mins. What was that I said, about "double the number and go to the next highest unit" ..??? :'(

Nearly two days later, with hassles galore, we have the pistons remachined. Then we had another days wait for the seals. They turned up on the following Wednesday .. "you beauty! .. now we're set! .."

Then came more hassles. There were two plates on each piston that held the 3-piece seals together. The pistons had previously been drilled and tapped for 3/8" UNC .. but someone had used 3/8 WHITWORTH bolts in them. 1 thread to the inch, difference in the threads .. :'(

So .. we had to source all new UNC bolts. Meantimes, I was honing the cylinders. These cylinders were pretty gnarly. No-one had ever taken any care with the hydraulics, and there was a heap of water in the hyd oil. You know what water does inside hydraulics, don't you? .. yep .. corrosion galore.
Honed and honed and honed until I was blue in the face, and until I was sure we had a reasonable finish. Assembled the pistons, and tried to fit them to the cylinders. One went in, tight as the proverbial you-know-what. The other went in about 5mm and jammed. Solid. We couldn't get it to move IN or OUT. Ended up, connecting an airline to the bottom hyd fitting, and placing a bar through the ram rod eye .. and dropping the ram continously between two big whitegum blocks, until it exploded apart .. :o

After a heap of miking and re-checking, we find that the seal is oversize .. not by much .. but enough to make the piston jam. More honing, and sanding of the seals to reduce their diameter (another half day up the spout) .. and .. "mission control .. we have lift-off! .." :)

Note .. at this point, we still haven't replaced the rams in the fork. I forgot to mention, we also needed to recondition the bushings in the ram rod eyes, too .. AND all the hydraulic hoses as well .. AND drain and refill the hyd tank!
Oh .. did I also mention .. that when we had the tank drained, we decided to pull the suction line off the tank to see if there was a suction screen, and if it was blocked? Yep, there was .. and it was .. :'( :'( :'( I don't know how any oil ever got to the pump .. :(

So .. after nearly two weeks .. a job that looked like a couple of days, turned into the normal, drawn-out, repair that looks like drawing to a close this week. The advantage of everything we have done, of course, is that we have "restored" a lot of the forklifts components, back to "as-new" .. but what appeared to be a quick "minor repair" ....... was anything, but .... ::)

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #25734 by kennymopar2
with me keeping it short in my old 1942 allis chalmers dozer when we done the hydrolic rams ,a mate knew a mate who worked on allis dozers when he was young (yep this guy still runs a workshop and hes well into his 80s) $150 for parts and some $$ for his pockets problem solved . . i still dont know how he found the parts though . .

More
14 years 1 week ago #25735 by davitt
thanx for the reply's.. I've owned this loader for 3 years. Never had any problems. It's moved a lot of dirt in that time. Mainly top soil, and few driveway jods. I picked it up cheap and couldnt really find much information about this model... It just sits around these day not doing alot, thanx again.
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds