Skip to main content

my wife said I could buy it

More
13 years 9 hours ago #50730 by Blacksmithpete
Ok so I was working in Sydney for the last couple of weeks and was asked if I could make a weather vane with a MG on it
Finally after all the weird and wonderfull request and not forgeting the RSQ (really stupid questions) I was talking to someone of intrest
So after hearing about this blokes mg he was restoring the words I have always wanted a TD or TF came out of my mouth and his reply was I know where there is is 1
So out comes his ubute phone x computer thingy and he brings up an add for a 1954 MG TF sends the guy an email on my behalf and now we wait and see
When i mentioned it to the wife surprise surprise she said buy it
Now we all know this is going to come back and bite real hard when I least expect it
Ok so on my last night in Sydney I finally get a call from the guy selling the MG I had started to think it wasnt going to happen
We had a chat and I couldnt get out to see it so sight unseen we did a bit of negotiating and I was the owner of a MG
UMMMMMM what have I done
Ok get all my gear packed and load up the old Volvo and get back home buy a trailer do a quick rebuild and back up to Sydney I go
Now this car I was told broke an axle in 1975 and has been parked in the garage since nothing was done to it
So when the door was opened this is what was there

Ok so at least the was a car thats a start

So i put some air in the tyres and all 4 inflated winched it up onto the trailer and headed home
Just about to pull into the drive at home and get a call from Sarge so I sugested he come over for morning tea
So after a brew we go and see what I have bought
as far as I can tell everthing is there I hope
motor even turned over by hand
Ok so lets put a battery in and see what happens
It cranks over even the oil pressure gauge starts to climb now its time to add some petrol but nothing happened
Hmmmm what could be wrong ah ha no spark not the coil but the points needed gapping so with the blacksmiths feeler gauges I set the points
Cranked it againg and we now have a motor thats puring better add some water now
What else can we do lets jack it up and put it in gear
thats interesting the wheels stared to turn
pull the handbrake on and the engine stalls I thought this had a broken axle lets put it on the ghound and try it then so we both hop in well I sqeezed in not built for big people
start her up and into 1st where moving into 2nd where out of the shed into 3rd where down the drive I turned to Sarge and said now what keep going into 4th and where on the road quick run up the road and back time for a driver change now Sarge is in control and were of back up the road
So what have I bought
a 1954 MG TF in need of a total retoration but everthing thing is there and in good condition

/me

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 9 hours ago #50731 by Swishy

B.S.Pete
Gudday M8

Gr8 pix
Keep m Cummin

Noice find
Sum jokers will do anything to get out of drivein a Volvo
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

13 years 8 hours ago #50732 by
Replied by on topic Re: my wife said I could buy it
BlacksmithPete - That's a great story .. and I'm utterly stunned, on two points.

One .. that your missus said you could buy it .. :o

and Two .. that you could find an MG TF, that complete, in that condition, in a shed .. and you could give it a tickle up, and make it go!! .. :o

What a great find! The problem is, now .. whether to just clean it up, and keep driving it, and enjoying it .. or whether you strip it right down, and carry out a full resto! .. :-?

Cheers - Ron.

13 years 5 hours ago #50733 by
Hi Pete.

That's a good find mate.
I know someone who would like to see that :)

My little house is built on land that was once the MG factory.
A couple of minutes walk away is 'The MG Owners Club' here in Abingdon UK.

Cheers
RS :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #50734 by HeyCharger
BSP. Sorry to spoil your fun, but you did not get a visa to enter NSW or an export licence to take it interstate. Therefore I as, the police of "somethingorother" will have to confiscate it. I strongly suggest you return it to MY place (to save further embarrassment) ;)

ps. Well done on both points 1) the financial controller and 2) a great find :D :D :D
Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

More
12 years 11 months ago #50735 by Bugly
Very nice, BSP! Now you'll have to wear a funny little cap for when you go motoring along the Promenade in the MG! And you'll have to call everybody "chum"! ;D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
12 years 11 months ago #50736 by melonreo
i say - well done ol boy.................... ;)

More
12 years 11 months ago #50737 by Blacksmithpete
Swishy
U just had to have a dig at the Volvo maybe u need to drive 1 so u can c wot ur missing out on
u asked 4 maw pix
from dis

2 dis

iz wot Im opin 4

Ron
Thanx
Its going to have a complete restoration for some reason and I guess maybe the age of it has something to do with it but all the timber needs to be replaced so that means it has to all come apart
but for the time being ill just play with it
Took my mum for a lap arround the block as her mothers day treat

RS
So who would like to see my MG ??
Now if im struggling to find any parts do I ask you to have a dig in the garden to see if any bits were left behind

Rod
In actual fact Im in possesion of a current bump in and bump out pass issued on the 12th of April 2011 by the RNA of NSW
anyway if you have permission from the missus that overrides any laws you think you may have in NSW

Bugly
What can I say
THanks Chum
actually I used that today started calling my brother inlaw that went down well

Melonreo
thanx Ol Chum
now do you have any laws up there regarding exporting goods cause your town has my next toy so Ill be up there on the long weekend

Till next time Chums

/me

12 years 11 months ago #50738 by

RS
So who would like to see my MG ??
Now if im struggling to find any parts do I ask you to have a dig in the garden to see if any bits were left behind

/me

Hi Pete,
The man at the MG club, who I saw by chance today, and my brother, to name two.
You can ask, but my garden is fully paved so it could be a bit inconvenient :)
Keep us all up to date with any progress please.
Quite a project !!

Cheers
RS :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #50739 by HeyCharger
Hey BSP and others. ALWAYS be aware of this;
members.ozemail.com.au/~rodlovell/other/wwu/WordsWomenUse.html
Press "continue" to see the whole presentation.

TRUE! ;) Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds