photo is from a power farming article, back in the late 70's

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #52570 by melonreo
UPTON from Corowa. with a 350 cummins

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #52571 by q4016lanz
Upton 14L -350 hp cummins only 1. HT-14/350 built corowa NSW $70.000 in 1978? ;D ;D
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by q4016lanz.

More
12 years 11 months ago #52572 by kenny-mopar
a one off ?

More
12 years 11 months ago #52573 by ozfarm
i looked at the remains of an early upton in feb this yr, it had a general grant tank back end and tranny

as the hull and the diff are 1 and the same, they had neatly cut with an oxy the diff out of the hull

More
12 years 11 months ago #52574 by RocksnRoses
A friend of mine has this Upton and still uses it today. It is around 1978 as well, has a Cummins 290 and the rear axle is from a Terex wheel loader. The Terex axle was used because of problems with the original axle that Upton fitted.

RnR.

12 years 11 months ago #52575 by
I know of at least one Upton owner in W.A., a bloke South of Kulin bought one in the mid-late 1970's. Not sure what happened to it, the bloke who owned it was Bert Scadding, but Bert has long since sold out and retired.
The last time I saw Bert he was on holidays in Broome, and that was at least eight or maybe ten years ago.

OzFarm is right on the money, they used General Grant tank final drives for their weight, more than their strength.

I don't know how they thought they were going to keep selling Upton tractors, using WW2 left-over components. Seemed to me, like they'd be lucky to find a dozen tanks left in operation, even back when they were building them.

Now .. the funny part is, if they'd never built a tractor, and left all the General Grant tanks intact .. the tanks would now be worth 20 times what any Upton would now be worth! :D

More
12 years 11 months ago #52576 by ozfarm
strange u should say , about 1 around kulin ,wuntak

as the 1 i was looking at came out of the kulin wreckers minus donk

owner fitted an aec V8 in it to get it going

More
12 years 11 months ago #52577 by kenny-mopar
they would have to be one of the biggest un-articulated tractors ?

12 years 11 months ago #52578 by
Yep, they claimed they were the heaviest 2WD tractor ever built. It appears they only built a few with General Grant back ends, and then they obviously ran out of tanks to cut up, so they went on to more commercial and readily available components.

Upton are still in business, they now make irrigation and solar equipment .. and you can still get copies of their brochures and articles from publications about their tractors ..

www.upton.com.au/Content.asp?lngContentID=14

Puddings World page on Uptons .. www.puddingsworld.com/Machinery/Upton/upton_contents_page.htm

OzFamine - That tractor in Kulin Wreckers would almost certainly have been Bert Scaddings Upton.
I never got any pics of it working, but used to see it barrelling around the paddock, many a time when I drove past. It could pull some width of tillage equipment.

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds