Skip to main content

Information on NTK bulldozers

More
12 years 9 months ago #59596 by Jlove
I have two NTK bulldozers but can't seem to find any information on them anywhere.They don't have any readable compliance tags or markings but the both have Izuzu motors.I do have a couple of pictures if anyone is interested. If anyone knows anything about them I would really appreciate it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59597 by
Replied by on topic Re: Information on NTK bulldozers
Jlove - Oh dear .. :-? It appears that you're "out on a limb" so to speak .. and you most certainly have ownership of probably the only two remaining NTK bulldozers in Australia.
Let's just say, you have a couple of, "very interesting, early Japanese industrial age, collectables .. " :)

The history of NTK is as follows. NTK, known as "Nittoku Metal Industry" (or Industries) in English, and "Nana ten-rokuni-miri Kikanj[ch363]" in Japanese, was a subsidiary of Nihon Special Steel in the early 1960's, and a manufacturer of smaller bulldozers and other industrial machinery.
In 1964, Nihon Steel went bankrupt when their lead banks, Mitsubishi and Dai-Ichi, refused to continue financing Nihon, despite pressure from the Industrial Bank of Japan (IBJ).
It appeared that NTK was going to go bankrupt as a result of its parent company going bankrupt .. but IBJ stepped in and provided emergency financing for NTK, and then found a purchaser for NTK in the form of Sumitomo.

Sumitomo were apparently not happy with the idea of being in the bulldozer and industrial equipment manufacturing game, because it appears that Sumitomo abandoned NTK's earthmoving product line, not long after they purchased NTK, and turned NTK production over to other, more profitable products and lines.
NTK went on to manufacture a diverse line of products, including items such as weapons for the Japanese SDF, along with a myriad of other items.
However, NTK disappeared as a producer of earthmover equipment from around about 1967, it seems. Along with the changes under Sumitomo, NTK also disappeared as a "brand name".
It appears that about 1967, "Sumitomo Machinery Co" was formed, and this subsidiary was reworked again in 1969, when "Sumitomo Heavy Industries" was formed after a merger between "Sumitomo Machinery Co" and "Uraga Heavy Industries" came about. It appears that SHI merged with NTK about 1980, and NTK disappeared totally, as a company.

Some Australian machinery distribution company .. I'm not sure who it was .. imported a small number of NTK bulldozers as a "trial" around 1966, and put them up on working display around the East Coast.
There are a few pictures in the NLA online library of a couple of NTK crawlers on working display in 1966.

However, there was obviously little interest in an unknown brand, particularly a Japanese tractor, when Japanese products were still trying to beat their "Jap crap" reputation of the 1950's.

As a result, it appears that no more NTK crawlers were imported apart from the initial batch, and soon after, NTK earthmoving production ceased, anyway.

You will never be able to source any parts for your NTK's, apart from basic components such as bearings, seals and other common parts.
You do however, have a couple of classic early Japanese machines, that might be worth something one day, when the desirability of early Japanese industrial items, becomes much higher than it is now. :)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 9 months ago #59598 by Swishy

Luvy
Gudday M8

The name NTK rings abell

Not sure ifn they were the name of the scrape dozers we moved many moons ago
they may have refered 2 m as a Nissan

Can remember they were Nipponeze n not Euro

ButAzAlwaze

EyeDoSt&2BCorrectedCya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59599 by
Sorry, Swish, your CRS is kicking in, big time. Time to take your memory pills .. ;D
You're trying to remember, Nissha-Menck scrapedozer .. also built in Germany as a Frutiger. Menck was the German company who invented the principle of the scrapedozer .. and the Jap company Nissha went into Joint Venture with Menck, to build the Nissha-Menck.
A little while later, a German mob called Frutiger produced similar Menck-design machines. Frutiger are still in business, as I understand.
Now, the Jap company is called Nissha-Sharyo, and they still build the Menck scrapedozers. Obviously, any patents have lapsed.
They have been powered by Nissan V8's and Detroits, and a few other engines as well. There's about 15 different models/types over the years, from the late 1950's/early 1960's up until now.

www.n-sharyo.co.jp/business/kiden_e/Scrapedozer.html

Video of Frutigers at work in 2009 ..

History of Menck .. www.menckundhambrockarchiv.de/Ubersicht/...History/history.html

More
12 years 9 months ago #59600 by ute253
I can clearly remember the NTK dozers. Worked with a gent that owned one many years ago by the name of Leo McNulty. Leo and his brother Pat logged around Toombulup, Tatong area, ran 1418 Benz's and snigged with the NTK. she was just the basic dozer, blade and a winch on the back, around early D6 size.
Leo was a contractor to the Broken Improvement Trust and we used the dozer and winch combination snigging logs and snags out of the river and repairing erosion along the banks. I was the always the poor mongrel hanging off the end of the winch cable hooking up to anything that needed moving come fair weather or foul.
From what I remember she was fairly well used with some worn track gear and sprockets and some horrible noises coming from the gearbox and finals.
Nether the less she did a power of work and was pretty reliable. We did some repairs in the field from time to time such as changing tracks and fitting new sprocket segments and I do recall the gearbox was a bit quieter after it was flushed out and refilled with a special brew of heavy weight oil, Nulon and graphite powder.
Leo went on to sell the NTK many years ago and unfortunately we lost Leo a few years back too, Heart attack. With him went a lifetime of knowledge, a great friendship and the locations of many old trucks and tractors he had purchased but never actually got around to collecting and picking up.
His brother Pat is still around and has a great yard full of interesting gear, some would say junk but to members of this forum is would be just like heaven!!!!! :) :)

Diamond T P3320 x 2&&Studebaker US6 6x6&&HQ GTS Coupe&&HQ ute&&HG ut

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #59601 by
If you go to the Picture Australia site, and type "NTK" into the search engine, you'll find 3 pics of the NTK dozers from 1966.
In typical Jap fashion of the era, they look like a dead ringer for a Cat D6. I'll bet they studied a D6 and copied it as well as they could.

www.pictureaustralia.org/

More
12 years 9 months ago #59602 by kenny-mopar
theres possibly one about 5kms from me..the guy had it at his wreckers when the wreckers closed down its satin his backyard ever since.. i remember talking to him about it around 10 years ago he rekensd it was a great old dozeer

More
12 years 8 months ago #59603 by Jlove
Hey guys
Thanks for all your information, at lest I know a bit more about them.One is a NTK 7 and is still going and has two blades and a tree pusher the other is a NTK 6 , were not sure if the motor is seized but I do know the brakes were renewed not long ago and dad wouldn't of wasted his time if this was the case.They are both for sale if you know of anyone who might be interested, I would rather sell them to a collector than the scrap man.
Cheers!

More
12 years 8 months ago #59604 by kenny-mopar
what sort of coin r u after for them ?

More
12 years 8 months ago #59605 by bigcam
Kenny, do you mean, what do they wiegh?

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds