Skip to main content

OK, what'd I do?

More
10 years 3 months ago #130100 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: OK, what'd I do?
problem with a multimeter is it has no load so all can test fine but it goes high resistance when it has load on it and yep it dosnt matter which end you start at the key switch or the starter motor just keep on checking the test lamp or multimeter on a known live supply it is easy bump the clamp on the chassis good luck

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #130101 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: OK, what'd I do?
Easy to do Paul, to check the resistance first, in the case of a wire, a few strands left hanging on, in say a pinched wire, won't carry the same current as a complete wire. Say your testing a harness and getting 3 ohms here and 4 ohms there and on the next one you get 12 ohms, there a good chance the problem is in that last section. To confirm it, switch the meter to volts and check to see that there is battery voltage there, then connect a load into the circuit, say a light bulb. If the problem is there, the voltage will fall. You see, the high resistance is always there, but under a load the voltage will drop and the current will rise to overcome the resistance. The problem with test lights is your eyes won't see the difference between 24 and 18 volts, but the starter relay or solenoid will.

And if you test a circuit from the power source end, it will save you testing the whole circuit only to find you had a faulty key switch.

I was always taught that when diagnosing a problem, test the easiest/most likely component first, but everyone has their own way of doing things.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #130102 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: OK, what'd I do?
It seems to be a heat-related problem. Most times when it's cold it will start ok. But when hot no :-[

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by HeyCharger.

More
10 years 3 months ago #130103 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: OK, what'd I do?
Heycharger, when the truck is cold, pull the wire off the solenoid, put a multimeter on it and jam the key switch on start. Then run a hair dryer along the harness, particularly on any connectors and relays. Any sensitivity to heat should show up as a fluctuation on the meter. The most common heat related failures occur around any coils, relays and solenoids, and soldered joints.

I had a starter on a Hilux that was much the same, dodgey solder joint in the solenoid. It was fine cold, but no good hot. DD

More
10 years 2 months ago #130104 by hypermung
Replied by hypermung on topic Re: OK, what'd I do?
Burnt solenoid contacts would be my assumption...

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds