Skip to main content

1948 Fordson E83W pickup

More
10 years 3 months ago #134274 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

Hey Bugly me thinks you should buy the matching truck and have a his and hers pair blue& pink LOL ;D ;D ;D

Still trying to think of a way to slip over there, pick it up and bring it back without Mrs Bugly noticing me missing for six days!! ::)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134275 by Bugly
Slowly working along the chassis, cleaning off the old caked-on grease and dirt, and removing all the fittings to give them a close look-see, a wire brushing, and a paint job. I'll be renewing all the clevis pins along the brake system, as there are quite a few of them all with a little bit of wear. Together, it adds up to quite a bit of pedal travel just to take up the slack.

I took the muffler and front pipe off ... hmmm - does it look repairable?? Methinks not!!

[img

More
10 years 3 months ago #134276 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
Don't discard that exhaust system it's just worn in years to go yet just patch it up with a couple of sardine tins lol ;D ;D ;D ;D

More
10 years 3 months ago #134277 by Bugly
Righto ... here's the latest with the molasses tank. I just opened it up, and took out a rim ... the bottom right one in the previous photos of the rims in the empty tank. Plenty of frothy scummy stuff floating in the tank, so I gave it a stir around as well. I gave the rim a hose off using the garden hose to get rid of the brown-coloured slime the molasses leaves on the surface.

Beautiful!! The rim is as clean as a whistle, and the red paint showing can be easily wiped off. The reverse side looks great ... back to the original steel. The centre bit, where the tyre fits, has cleaned everything back to the original factory paint. Being under the tyre/tube, this bit hadn't rusted like the rest. I'll stick the rim back in the tank for now, but next week the rims will be blasted with my little gerni, so they will be really clean.

So ... does the molasses treatment work? You betcha it does! As it has taken the rust away and exposed the steel underneath, when it is gernied off next week it will have to have a rust neutraliser or a prime coat fairly quick smart, to stop the rims from re-rusting.

[img

[img

[img

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #134278 by Bugly
Well, today was day 14 ... time to take the wheel rims out of the molasses tank. Lifting the lid, the molasses still smelt strongly, but the frothy scummy stuff was no longer floating on the top. I assume this meant that the rust was all removed, and there was nothing left for the molasses to feed on.

[img

The first rim I pulled from the tank was the one I had a look at last week ...

[img

... and gave it a blast with the Gerni. I made sure that it got a good blast in the rivetted join between the inner and outer portions. Comparing this rim to the one I took out and hosed off last week, it definitely required the second week, as the molasses took all of the remaining paint off.

[img

Next stage is priming and painting. As the rims are now back to fresh unprotected steel, they start developing a surface rust pretty quickly. I gave them a spray treatment with POR-15 'Metal Ready', to protect them, but I'm not sure that that was any better than 'Rainex' or any other phosphoric acid rust-converter preparation.

Now the molasses tank is empty, I could load it up with mudguard, inner wing panels, headlight buckets and a few brackets and things. Next weekend I'll flip the guards over to treat the part that's presently sticking out of the brew.

[img

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bugly.

More
10 years 3 months ago #134279 by AT4114
Replied by AT4114 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup
WOW Bugly I'm impressed thoes rims look new what a fantastic process well done :) cheers Bryant

More
10 years 3 months ago #134280 by Bugly

WOW Bugly I'm impressed thoes rims look new what a fantastic process well done :) cheers Bryant

Yep, I'm very happy Bryant!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I hadn't tried this treatment before, so was crossing fingers that it would work. It has turned out better than I had even hoped it would!! :) :)

More
10 years 3 months ago #134281 by hypermung

Yep, I'm very happy Bryant!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I hadn't tried this treatment before, so was crossing fingers that it would work. It has turned out better than I had even hoped it would!! :) :)

Ahhh... :)
Another convert to the 'Molasses army' ;D
Honestly Fellas... Try the molasses method if you never have before & prepare to be amazed :o

More
10 years 3 months ago #134282 by Dodge fan
It's probably been stated before but what is the molasses water ratio please?
Billy 8-)

Playing around at Dodge City
Dodge AT4-760&&FB Holden Ute

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #134283 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: 1948 Fordson E83W pickup

It's probably been stated before but what is the molasses water ratio please?
Billy 8-)

1:10 (1 molasses, 10 water)

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by asw120.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds