Skip to main content

rust removal

More
10 years 3 months ago #135320 by austink8
rust removal was created by austink8
hi im trying to remove the rust from my truck rims using electrolysis ive done it before and its worked excellent. this time im using a half fiberglass watertank because the volume of water is greater ive increased the volts to24 [15 amps]added baking soda as well as soda. over the weekend i did it 6 times at about 2hrs each time changing bits and pieces each time i just can't get it to work 100% some of the scaly rust wont come off i can not get the rust out of the small gaps. im using mesh top and bottom and lenghts of bar around the edges being very carefull with the gaps so im a bit bamboozled if you could help that would be great thanks geoff

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135321 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: rust removal
It's a while ago, but I seem to remember molasses mix would get everything off right to the bottom of the pitting.
It was slow, however and needed cleaning every night. Would take a week or so for something really nasty. Mild steel only, it eats anything hard.
Could perhaps finish off with washing soda to clean up and neutralise.

I realise this doesn't really answer your question, sorry.
ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
10 years 3 months ago #135322 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Re: rust removal
I left mine in molasses for a week ten to one mix with water no rust left after a wash down and then applied por 15 rust blast with a brush just too easy to stop rust bloom .Then primed after a few days

More
10 years 3 months ago #135323 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: rust removal

I left mine in molasses for a week ten to one mix with water no rust left after a wash down and then applied por 15 rust blast with a brush just too easy to stop rust bloom .Then primed after a few days

Steve, this is exactly what I will be doing to my Fordson wheels. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 3 months ago #135324 by hypermung
Replied by hypermung on topic Re: rust removal
I also use the molasses method with great success... When I first started using this method, I was absolutely blown away by the results. As they say 'I see it, but I don't believe it!'
If I hadn't seen it with my own 2 eyes, I woulda called it BS!... Check out the latest things to emerge from my tank...!
[IMG

These are 1937 Willys bonnet hinges that were ABSOLUTELY rusted shut for eons... A couple of weeks in the goop & viola.. Working hinges again :D
It is also a godsend for rusty car panels that would dis-integrate under the pressure of a sandblaster. Amazing !
My next tank will be big enough to take a full cowl as the mixture takes all the rust from the inside of pillars & everywhere that a sandblaster can never reach

More
10 years 3 months ago #135325 by hypermung
A strong word of warning though,..... This stuff will eat cast potmetal for breakfast, so no badges, door handles or the like... Although I've never tried it on aluminium, brass or stainless?

10 years 3 months ago #135326 by
Replied by on topic Re: rust removal
So do i go out and buy a brick of mollases throw it in a fish pond tub of water and throw some metal in there?

More
10 years 3 months ago #135327 by hypermung
I simply went to a produce store with a plastic 25L bucket & got 2L of molasses in it. When I got home I filled the bucket up to 20L with warm water (to help mix it together).. I'm still only doing small stuff that fits into the bucket, so for a larger item you need a larger container, but remember the 10:1 ratio.. Most feed stores sell molasses in bulk for animal feed..
Make sure that you've got a lid for the bucket or container though as it starts to stink a bit once it ferments & you wouldn't like to have to pull the dead cat or the next door neighbours kid out of it... You'll also need some wire or rope to tie to the part you're putting into the solution for retrieval... (unless you like fishing around in a stinking black ooze to find your part again) ;D
Simply submerge your steel part into the mixture (making sure the part is covered completely) then let the chemistry happen... 1-2 weeks should do it. When the part comes out it will have a yellow / blackish covering on it that I remove with a gernie & water, then you need to dry & treat the part with POR or rust converter as it will now be bare metal & will surface rust in no time flat if not protected.
The best bit is that the mixture doesn't need heating, should last (& work) for around 6 months & then (when you're finished with it) it's non caustic & totally bio-degradable, so you can tip it out onto the lawn & water it in.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135328 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Re: rust removal
I use citric acid to remove rust, on the shelf at the supermarket and cheap, Like me! Got the idea from old mate over on the west coast, thanks OneTrack. The molassis would be better with large items in big drums. How much is a couple of litres in bulk? Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135329 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Re: rust removal
The local coop produce store charges me $12 for 10 litres which makes 100 litres of mixture. For really rusty items 4 weeks will remove all of the rust . But you must wash and coat with a rust inhibiter I only use rust blast gives you a few days to prime. www.kbs-coatings.com.au/kbs-rustblast
My local antique shop uses it on anything old and rusty.Leave them in for a week then brushes on penitrol for a gloss look but old. It does not remove paint that has no rust under it.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Steve.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds