Skip to main content

How rusty is too rusty

More
10 years 3 months ago #135420 by 600Dodge
After some opinions on how bad a Dodge cab can be before it isn't worth saving.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135421 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
That all depends on if you can weld, or if you have to pay someone else......How bad do you want the truck?
ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #135422 by
Replied by on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
Is 70% if tha cab missing?
if so its not too bad lerl

i made a show f100in glass out of measurements and a mock up wooden cab cutouts

More
10 years 3 months ago #135423 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
10 years 3 months ago #135424 by hypermung
I agree we need pix to assess the damage....
OTHERWISE...! I'll have to let the zombie cat out, & then the damage will be irrelevant.. ;D
[IMG

More
10 years 3 months ago #135425 by nicco
Replied by nicco on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
Not the best pic but is it better or worse than this? This is my floor which I am hoping to fix once I get a mig welder (and some welding skills). I'm planning to go from the tow board to about an inch up the back wall to remove all the rust. Next will be finding a donor floor.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135426 by Hardtopman
I think you will be making your new floor or swapping on the cab without the rust floor. They like to rust in the roof lots, plenum chamber under the dash and door pillars and of coarse the floor. If these are not rusted out you could be onto a good thing.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135427 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
Floor in mine is near perfect and it is a Bostrom cab, roof is almost rusted off, door pillars pretty average, plenum about the same, I can do it all myself but not sure whether or not to start on it or replace.

More
10 years 3 months ago #135428 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
Beg borrow and steel to get a mig buy yourself a sheet of 1.2 thick body steel but first enrol yourself in a TAFE short panel course, I did and you'll never look back and not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself happy restoring cheers Oldgmc

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
10 years 3 months ago #135429 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: How rusty is too rusty
I only had the floor to worry about, not quite feet onto tyre stage but getting there, had Blacksmith Pete as a supervisor, got some panel steel (nice and soft to work with) cut to shape, treated the floor with fish oil then bitumen, drilled spot holes across & around the new panel then welded through the spots onto the old floor. Added more fish oil and bitumen, no more holes, no more wet floors, and gunna last me another 20 years.

I am sure there are better ways, but the truck was up and on the road for little money in a few weeks. It might get a proper resto one day, but I would have to stop driving it first. ;)

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds