Skip to main content

What truck is this? More photos

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #141169 by Lang
Here is the Olds straight six displayed in the Delco Remy museum.

[IMG

Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #141170 by Swishy
Lang M80
any ol beast in it 4mer glory looks good 2 me

I could soon rub out the V werd n find a bolt for th@ radiator bar to keep it Str8

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Swishy.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #141171 by asw120
Lang, I assume you meant REO, there? That's the same picture I went off, after the distributor gave me a clue.

I find the bonnet matches pictures of REOs, but I can't quite match the grille or mudguards with anything. I was starting to think the mudguards were Ford AA or such, but not sure now. I still think the headlights are off something else even older. Buick comes to mind.
I haven't found pictures of anything with such a set back front axle, as was mentioned. The modern coil suggests it was running as recently as the 70's or 80's.

I'm thinking, as others have mentioned, that the truck has quite a bit of "history". In any case, it's a thing of beauty, to me.

Jarrod / ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by asw120.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #141172 by Lang
Here is the sign on the engine. 73 horsepower was seriously efficient for an engine of that size at that time.

[IMG
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141173 by Lang
My final vote is for a REO that has been 'messed with' over time.

[IMG

[IMG

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141174 by heelerau
Peter C I would be rescuing that truck before the scrapes find her !! That would be a fantastic project !!

cheers

Heelerau

10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #141175 by
...i'll throw me hat in the ring and suggest it's a late 1920's GMC ''Big Brute''.....possibly fitted later with the REO engine? ....

....after a quick google search it transpires that at least one of these premium end GMC's came to Australia (RHD?) and featured at the 1929 Sydney Motor Show of that year....

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #141176 by Peter C
Thank you all for your time and contributions ...... in conclusion we are saying ... REO or GMC Big Brute. Definitely the Flying Cloud engine from the photos. When looking at the truck, it certainly looks like the engine is an after market/later fit up. The mount plates don't seem to fit and the chassis rails are stretched to accommodate these mounts. All the running gear does appear to be original .... the mounts/cross members etc. are all riveted in place. As for the cab ... well who knows? I'll make a few enquires around the district... maybe some of the older blokes may know something of it's history. In the mean time I'll try and get clear title over the beast !!

10 years 2 weeks ago #141177 by
...please keep us informed Peter, as there are not too many trucks out there that manage to stump the forum...

is she in NSW? .. that may help with the Big Brute theory ??.....cheers

More
10 years 1 week ago #141178 by Peter C
No worries Detective ...I keep you up to date. This old girl is in South West Queensland.

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds