Skip to main content

Austin Truck

More
10 years 1 week ago #141922 by AS-130
Austin Truck was created by AS-130
Hi All. We have just brought a ~1950 Austin 3 ton truck! Internet searches have brought up names like K2 and Loadstar but i am not sure of the model. It has a 6 cylinder petrol motor in it and looks very similar to Snaws2's truck.

What i need to know is the welsh plug size or at least an engine code that i can do some further research. The last owner said that it pop out so i want to have one with us on the weekend to put straight in.

Cheers
Mark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #141923 by AS-130
Replied by AS-130 on topic Re: Austin Truck
Hi again,
Should have also asked what size tyres would suit this truck? I looked up some retreads on ebay but i am not sure how the older tyre sizes match newer ones?
Many thanks

More
10 years 1 week ago #141924 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Austin Truck
If the welsh plugs are accessible, you should be able to measure up the hole.

Likewise, check the existing tyres for size. Most probably 6.50 or 7.00x20

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
10 years 1 week ago #141925 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Austin Truck
For a 3 ton truck 7.50 - 20 would be the minimum and likely fitting with twins on the rear. 5 tonners tend to have 8.25 - 20.
Yours would be the WF model. Versions with Morris and BMC badges went by their own model names. Track back through old threads on this forum as there has your type has featured many times over.

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #141926 by AS-130
Thank you very much for your replies. It does have duels on the rear too. I will look for the info WF model.

Where do you get tyre that size?? I Ony want retreads or second hand ones as it will only be doing a few hundred kms a year but it seems most tyres are wider in that rim size! Thanks again
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by AS-130.

More
10 years 1 week ago #141927 by Snaws2
Replied by Snaws2 on topic Re: Austin Truck
I just ordered some 700/20 for $320 including tubes rust bands balanced & fitted

I did have 650/20 on the front but to replace them I was looking at $410 each

Ross

1952 Austin Loadstar&&&&Outside of a dog

More
10 years 5 days ago #141928 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Austin Truck
7.50-20 are a more mainstream size and therefore are available for much less $$.

More
10 years 5 days ago #141929 by 14B-Beaver
Replied by 14B-Beaver on topic Re: Austin Truck
The Loadstar ran from 1949 to 1955 and was more commonly known as the Series 2. Engine Number should start with 1K, then six numbers.

The next model was the Roadchief, also called the Series 3.

Tyre size for the 2/3 ton truck was 7.00x20. Initially, they were 32x6.

The 'WF' Series had short doors and twin headlights. They came out around 1965 as the Austin, followed by BMC and then Leyland. I don't ever recall seeing them badged as Morris, but Parts Book shows Morris in the 'WE' Series.

More
9 years 11 months ago #141930 by AS-130
Thanks for all your replies! I have picked it up now and had a better look at her. It does have the 7.00x20. I have tried a couple of places and the best they can do is $285 any idea where to get retreads or second hand tyres?

More
9 years 11 months ago #141931 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Austin Truck
285 sounds ok.

Try for 750s, you may get something cheaper, and you'll have a sightly better cruising speed but when it comes down to it ... those tyres are what connect you to the road, and your life.
So if you don't think your butt is worth 2 grand ... go for the cheap & daggy secondhand stuff.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds