Skip to main content

Rusty Cab Gutters

More
9 years 10 months ago #144105 by Backyard Fixer
You could paint the roof white or black instead of matching paint.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #144106 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
A white roof was often used to help reduce heat from the sun in the cab before air conditioning was common so would be correct for the era if that worries you.

Also if you make the whole roof a different color it looks like a deliberate colour scheme not a badly matched repair if you can't match the color exactly.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by bparo.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144107 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
Well,
I seem to have got the paint it white point across.

As for the shaving part,
I do mean a proper job, with real metal.
Not bog or glass.
Do it right do it once.
Same effort.

just saying,

-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
9 years 10 months ago #144108 by monty
Replied by monty on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
there was a bloke on here that cut all the rust out and had some more gutters folded up and welded them in place, thats what i considered before i sold mine.

Take a good sample and see if someone can fold some up for you? Might be worth a shot.

-Monty

9 years 10 months ago #144109 by
Replied by on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
...pretty sure you can still buy lengths of Acco gutter from International's spare parts outlets...

...to me, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, and this gutter material would suit all kinds of applications....if you so desired to go that way with all the attendant welding, cutting, etc, etc...

...hope that helps a bit Ronny, and i'm happy to be corrected if an easier fix may be had....cheers

More
9 years 10 months ago #144110 by Ronny G
Replied by Ronny G on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
Thanks again for all of the ideas.I had not thought about painting the roof white,which should look OK.I had someone shave the rear gutter off our other R model but it wasn't treated well enough and it doesn't look right.It looks like I might have to have a go at it myself and due to my lack of experience with a mig I will clean it all up and try the fibreglass.If I buy the correct mask overalls etc. is 2pack paint the best option?
Ronny

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #144111 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
G'day Ronny, there is a good rust stopper called 'Penetrol' (a clear flowable liquid about the consistency of diesel) which I have used and been happy with. I have some bare metal panels in the workshop painted with this stuff for several months and no rust showing.
Enamel paint goes over it OK, two pack does not and I don't know about fibreglass, but may be worth finding out . Your local hardware should have it.
Good luck with your job. Geoff
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Tacho.

More
9 years 10 months ago #144112 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
My Leyland has previously had the plastic filler treatment in the gutter, there wasn't much steel left holding the turret on, as well as holes rusted through under the cab clearance lights. I have decided to weld some more steel back in, but will still need filler as my panel work skills are at amateur level.

[IMG

At least it is close to 3m above the ground so no body will see it at close range. I will try to get a sunvisor to fit as well, that should hide a bit as well.

[IMG

Ronny, whatever you do yours, it will be a big job.

Paul

More
9 years 10 months ago #144113 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Rusty Cab Gutters
That looks like a neat bit of work on the front gutter, well done.
A tip on using mig on bodywork - use 0.6 wire as you will then be be able to run much lower current. Also, I have a reel of bronze wire which will see extensive use on the next project so will give some feedback on ease of use and results when I have something to show.

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds