Skip to main content

British Fargo - Please help me ID this truck

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #148313 by Urchy87
Hey

First time user so please go easy on me.

I have available to me a British Fargo Truck. I am finding it hard to gather any information on it. If it is suitable and able to be done on a reasonable budget I am interested in Repairing/Restoring it over time as it has some family significance (well for my wife). I have found a photo of one for you (only if it was in this condition).

Your help will be appreciated.

Adventure before Dementia.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Urchy87.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #148314 by Bobsboy
Hi,
and welcome.

No need to be afraid.
We've learned how to play nice.

A foto pic uh wut ya got?

:)
-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Bobsboy.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148315 by Urchy87
Hey, Thanks

There should be a pic of a truck which is the same in my original post (I can see it, perhaps you can't). If you were talking about the actual truck I don't have any at this stage. Will post them when I get a few. I do know that it needs some work.

I have fond a Dodge labelled one as a 61C and i think another was a 63A. Even with that there is no info about them.

Cheers

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #148316 by fargofan
Hi Urchy87,

The truck pictured on your first post would based upon the English 1948 Dodge 100c model.

English trucks in particular Dodge is a seperate idenity to that of any other country in which Chrysler products were made/distributed.

Australian operations

Because of Commonwealth tariff agreements these vehicles were initially sourced from Chrysler's plant at KEW (Dodge Brothers (Britain) Ltd factory which was based in Morlake Road, Kew, Richmond -upon- Thames, Surrey (just outside London).

These trucks were sold by Chrysler Distributors (I have a brochure from Lane's Motors Pty Ltd in Melbourne showing one of these trucks) who also sold the Canadian built Dodge at the time.

Chrysler Australia Ltd also imported the English made 'Parrot noise' dodge in small numbers as well (mid 50's). To see the restoration of one of these - refer to member MMKNJT (Max's Fargo).

It is unclear how many of these trucks were imported and/or sold.

Information on English Dodge Trucks

Perhaps the best information I have read about is from an article in a magazine called "Vintage Roadscene" - March- May 1992 - Dodge -The History and Production - by Mike Wells. It covers all facets of Dodge Trucks made in England.

Fargo' s were basically a Dodge (badge engineering). As Mike Wells states in his article: "Export still had priority and many vehicles left KEW (the British factory) bearing the Fargo badge for some destinations where they were marketed by that name" . This was certainly true in Australia.

Restored Cars Magazine July - August 2004 issue number 165 did an article on Fargo Trucks - they tried to combine Australian and American trucks together which I think confused the issue further.

Anyhow please post a photo and more information as it comes to hand - a serial number or identification tag should be found somewhere on your truck. don't forget the engine no. too. I am interested in what you find! Thanks.

Cheers ;)

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by fargofan.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148317 by Urchy87
Thanks fargofan.

You seem to live up to your name.

The truck does need a bit of work done as its been parked in the paddock since the 70's (where it stopped running). I will get pictures for you.

It had mainly been used for carting wool (Grain for a short period) so it seems to be structurally sound. With a quick glance it seemed to still have the old GWELL loader for the wool. The cab does need quite a bit of work. Are parts for this model reasonably accessible and if so do you know if they cost much to restore?

Thanks again

More
9 years 8 months ago #148318 by Beaver
I've got a 36 Dodge RL, of similar appearance but with longer bonnet. It has a build plate on the firewall inside the cab.

The only date I could find on it was on the gearbox.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 8 months ago #148319 by Urchy87
I got them to send me a couple pics. As they all are, it's in worse condition than I remembered.

Give me your thoughts. Apparently it's pretty much complete.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah192/Urchy87/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps706921f2.jpg?t=1410149326

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah192/Urchy87/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps28dbe05a.jpg?t=1410149440

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah192/Urchy87/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2e2484f7.jpg?t=1410148926

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah192/Urchy87/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps433f7b4b.jpg?t=1410148987

More
9 years 8 months ago #148320 by Southbound
Welcome aboard Mr Urchy, you will find all the info and assistance you will need on this forum. As you already have permission to start ;), please put up pictures of the resto as you go.
Cheers Ross

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148321 by fargofan
Hi Urchy87,

Yep that's a 1948 English built Dodge alright! As I said they were only badged Fargo's! :)

The plate on the firewall is interesting - I could only match the engine no T118G - 3 7/16 bore X 4 1/4 Stroke (236 cubic inch). Chassis no. - doesn't match anything I have on record. This truck and the yellow one does however match the one I have on the brochure.

It look like a reasonably good project to start from considering it looks fairly complete. Possibly best to get it in dry storage though.

As per parts - mechanical parts can be sourced quite readily. Cost?

Electrical parts - all English Dodge stuff used Lucas electrics (six volt I think in this case). Regulators, ignition parts, etc. still available from England/some Australia

Pistons/Rings - available in Australia . Six valve six parts would be interchange with a car engine which you can still buy here in Australia/ USA.

Water pump- USA or can be reconditioned in Australia

Brakes etc - can be repaired/relined/wheel cylinders resleeved

Beaings and Oil seals are available here in Australia.

Windscreen/Door Rubbers etc - make from samples - available in Australia through various rubber suppliers for classic cars.

The Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia could also be a good point of call. Also get in touch with the owner of that yellow one - Neil Mansell from Neil Mansell Transport (Toowoomba) - would be a great start.

Of course you have people on this forum that certainly would be more than willing to help!

As I said in my previous post -look at the restoration done by Max with the parrot nose Dodge. Would be beneficial as his truck would be nearly identical in the running gear.

So what are your plans?? Keep us up to date please - and PLEASE SAVE IT!! Sad to see it go to China :'(

Cheers! (PM me if you need part suppliers list). 8-)

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #148322 by Bobsboy
Hi,

It stopped running 45 years ago. . .
So they left it there for ya.

How did they know that?

;D
-b

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Bobsboy.

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds