Skip to main content

British Fargo - Please help me ID this truck

More
9 years 8 months ago #148333 by Beaver
What sort of "stuff for the cab"are you thinking of? In those days many trucks just came from the factory as a bonnet and firewall, you had to get your own cab and body built elsewhere. So all the trim bits were custom made to suit, and their replacement would be on the same basis.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148334 by Urchy87
Funny you mention the bonnet. I believe it has come to grief in the way of cattle squashing it as it was on the ground for some years. I am yet to give it a full prognosis but believe it to be rather complete and been told it has little to no rust as all the windows have been in tact until recently when one side if the front windscreen fell out.

The day I went over to have a decent look it started to rain within 2 minutes of parking beside it so we had to head back to the house. An inch later and there was my chance to look at it whist off from work gone.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148335 by fargofan
Urchy - as I said in my previous post - use those contacts to find other trucks - their are various clubs out there who would know of others if they still exist.

I haven't seen another besides the yellow one you posted. Only the parrot nose ones. As Hardtopman said it would have been a stop gap model. :)

As per the engine size - it is 3 7/16 X 4 1/4 = 238 cubic inch. This would be a US built engine I do believe. 8-)

More
9 years 8 months ago #148336 by mammoth
This is a factory cab, same as the 38/39 pre war models. There is a good chance that the 'jewlery' such as dials, switches and window regulators are the same as English Dodge cars. You might also look at Ebay uk for spares as they would have been more common there. Most of the good prewar ones would have gone to France with the expeditionary Force and left behind at Dunkirque.

More
9 years 8 months ago #148337 by Urchy87
Thanks Guys.

I am hard at it researching. I'll keep you posted and give you the full report when I have given it the 3rd degree.

You have been a great help.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148338 by Urchy87
Hey

Bad news on the Fargo guys. Unfortunately there is too much work involved in this old jigger. Besides some rust in the foot wells the cab seems to have been crushed down a bit on the passenger side, all the timber work inside is perished and the bonnet is beyond repair with a replacement seemingly non existent.

I attempted to contact the owner of the restored one above but they have failed to get back to me. I also contacted a Chrysler group and they basically said it would be very expensive to get it into any sort of roadworthy state.

I have not ruled it out for ever as you never know what is around the next corner (perhaps the parts needed to get this back on track).

On the bright side I have heard a rumor that an International D1610 with the 345ci V8 which was used until only a couple years ago is at another family members place. This rig would be more in line with what I was originally chasing.

Unlike the Fargo, I will be sure not to get my hopes up until I have actually inspected the vehicle and won't be wasting any of your time with what is now all but nice to know information about the Fargo. The inlaws were delighted to know a little more about it though.

Regards, Urchy87

More
9 years 7 months ago #148339 by IHScout
Urchy, well done recognising when a job is beyond your capability and resources. There would be a few of us on here who probably wish they had looked a bit harder and waited a bit longer. Just be careful of those guys telling you "she was going when we parked it". I've fallen for that one too many times and now know it's code for "mate she is totally stuffed and will never go again". >:( ;D

Dennis

More
9 years 7 months ago #148340 by mammoth
Urchy, definately not wasting our time as we now know a lot more about this model than we did before. Keep the questions coming.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148341 by Urchy87
Thanks guys. Don't worry. I'm not too shy to ask questions. That's it IHScout hence me not getting too excited. My fingers are still crossed.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148342 by 14B-Beaver
Urchy,
This is what she looked like when it was new.

14B-Beaver

[IMG

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds