Skip to main content

Diff ratios.

More
9 years 3 months ago #153954 by Backyard Fixer
Diff ratios. was created by Backyard Fixer
I have a 4.88 diff.

My mate has a diff with no tag, i jacked the rear end up.
2.5 turns of the yoke was 1 turn of the wheels.

Is this the same diff ratio?

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #153955 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Diff ratios.
Were BOTH rear wheels turning exactly the same, or was one wheel staying still (or even going the opposite direction)? You might need to turn the prop shaft 3 times as much to get a more accurate result.

More
9 years 3 months ago #153956 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: Diff ratios.
The left side seems to be the drive side. I tried it with both off the ground but they were free spinning at different speeds because off brake drag. So i put the right one back on the ground and got my son to rest his hand on the lifted left wheel so it would not free spin.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 3 months ago #153957 by AT4 353
Replied by AT4 353 on topic Re: Diff ratios.
Hold 1 wheel still and rotate pinion until the other wheel has done one turn. and then x2 the pinion count. so if you turn the pinion 2.5 times to the one rotation of the tyre. 2.5 x 2 =5:1 diff ratio

she'll be Jake.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153958 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Diff ratios.
The diffs are not the same. Your mates diff is about half the ratio of yours.

A diff ratio is amount of revolutions of the pinion to the revolutions of the crown wheel, so for a 4.88 ratio you will get nearly 5 turns of the yoke for 1 turn of the wheel.

2.5 seems like a super high ratio. Spin the yoke 25 times and see if the wheel turns 10 times.

AT4 353, I think your method is a little "out". Why would you double the pinion count?

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by dieseldog.

More
9 years 3 months ago #153959 by Backyard Fixer
Replied by Backyard Fixer on topic Re: Diff ratios.
Thanks, I need to do more spinning before I start unbolting stuff.

More
9 years 3 months ago #153960 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic Re: Diff ratios.
BYF, have a look at the ends of the pinion shaft, it will probably have a ratio stamped into it. Sometimes its on the yoke end, but then sometimes it's on the gear end...

More
9 years 3 months ago #153961 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Re: Diff ratios.
When you are turning 1 wheel only you bring the spider gears into play, this brings another ratio into the equation. You would need to know that ratio to work out the pinion /crown wheel ratio from the turns you have already worked out.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #153962 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Diff ratios.
Dieseldog, AT4 353 is right if one wheel is on the ground and not turning and you are only turning the one wheel that off the ground one revolution. To check a 4.88 by turning only one wheel with the other wheel still on the ground you would have to turn the yoke 2.44 turn and have only one revolution of the wheel , Backyard Fixer your 2.5 is very close if you only had one wheel turning.

Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Mairjimmy.

9 years 3 months ago #153963 by
Replied by on topic Re: Diff ratios.
....in my professional opinion....

...this topic just seems to be going round and round ! ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds