Skip to main content

Bedford interior

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #154030 by Andrew M
Bedford interior was created by Andrew M
I've been restoring my O'model Bedford, but I've come to a sticking point. The upholstery. What did the interior look like? Nobody ever takes photos of the interior of vehicles, so when it comes to restoration, guesswork seems to run supreme. How did the hood lining fit? There was no sign of wires or bows in the old timber. The seats. How did they fit on the steel frames? If anyone has any ideas, it would really help.
I'm trying to post some happy snaps, but it's being a bit tricky using an iPad, (no right or left mouse button)[img]Story[img]Direct [/[img][URL=http://s131.photobucket.com/user/mummaroo/media/image.jpg4_zpsi50hcuer.jpg.html][IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/mummaroo/image.jpg4_zpsi50hcuer.jpg[/img][/URL]
[IMG

[/img]
[IMG
[IMG
[IMG

[IMG
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Andrew M.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154031 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Bedford interior
Hi Andrew,
From memory the old Beddies had pressed cardboard roof linings (as did many other trucks). As far as I know there is nothing in Aus to remake them to with now to get the true blue original look, but others might know of something.

Dennis

More
9 years 3 months ago #154032 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Bedford interior
My Inter had a similar cardboard roof lining. Only last Friday I was told that they are making bendable ply in 3mm and 5mm. So you could bend it up and cover it with either paint or vinyl.

I have not located a source for it yet. Maybe a hardware store or chain?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
9 years 3 months ago #154033 by knighty
Replied by knighty on topic Re: Bedford interior
gidday andy... i've just bought one similar which is fairly original... the roof lining is sown cloth stuff which is held up with wires, other is cardboard... will try and get ya some piccys,pm me or call 0427006924...jk

Lotsa Big Toys

More
9 years 3 months ago #154034 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Bedford interior
We are about to start relining an old cab.

We have been advised to use MDF board, wet it and it can be moulded into shape, let it dry and it will keep its shape. We can then glue vinyl directly onto the board. This will emulate the original product.

Anyone tried this, or got comments?

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 3 months ago #154035 by SandB
Replied by SandB on topic Re: Bedford interior
Hi guys, I'm rebuilding a J1 Beddie & yes they did have hardboard/cardboard type of roof lining. Because mine is not a "restoration" as such ; I have glued 1/2" foam to the roof & then glued black vynal to that. Looks ok; but not perfect
Have recently wrecked 2 TH/TJ Magna's & reckon someone with "ingenuity" could modify/use the roof lining out of one of these Cheers Brian O

More
9 years 3 months ago #154036 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Re: Bedford interior
I was able to buy trim board/bitumen board (I think that's what he called it) here in Ipswich, although they have retired now.
I would think any decent upholsterer should have it?
The stuff I got was painted black on the patterned side.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 3 months ago #154037 by mackme
Replied by mackme on topic Re: Bedford interior
Hi guys I think it might be called terry board cheers

More
9 years 3 months ago #154038 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Bedford interior
Sad to say I am guilty of destroying my O series roof lining. in a crank fit.... and as others have said it was the bitumen cardboard stuff... however...

there was a wooden bow through the center fore and aft, and there were vertical overlaps along the sides and across the rear...these were screwed to the steel work.

Doubting my ability to press/mould a new one, I intended to try a lining like they use in VS commodores which is a foam backed fabric that is glued to the ceiling.
I still had the side bits.

did you use a genuine Bedford blue for the re-paint, it looks excellent and I think that is what mine should look like.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
9 years 3 months ago #154039 by grahamjb
Replied by grahamjb on topic Re: Bedford interior
Andrew
For what it is worth, I had a similar issue with my Inter and made timber ribs for the rear section of the cab which I then Sikaflexed to the cab and then Sikaflexed 3mm ply to them. The foam backed headlining is glued to the ply. For the roof lining I made steel bows and the overall result turned out ok. The photos below show the general idea.
[IMG

[IMG

Headlining fitted
[IMG

I had to bring the headlining down at the front of the cab to where the windscreen rubber fits. (this is what I am trying to show in the picture below)
[IMG

Hiighjacking the read back to Beavers post, don't use MDF especially wet MDF as it will turn into dust and disintegrate within 12 months or so. Sorry Beaver but MDF is bad news in my experience

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds