Skip to main content

Merrick's Inter C1200 renovation

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166064 by Merrick
Hi all,
I thought I'd start a thread about the renovations and repairs to my IH C1200 I bought last year . I'll call it a renovation, rather than resto as it's pretty good to begin with. This'll be as much to keep track and keep myself motivated as share with others. I'll no doubt need assistance with some things.

With some investigation on here regarding colours , we've discovered it was a former Sydney County Council truck. The guy I bought it from, we believe was the third owner (First being SCC).

Upon purchase it ran ok, steered and sort of stopped, but needed a lot of tidy up. The tray deck was completely weather damaged (several Melbourne winters outside I guess) warped and rotting and on the traysides and front, all of the paint is coming off.

The cab body itself is great, resprayed several years ago. Mechanically it's pretty good too, we believe 91K orig miles.

Interior is pretty neat except the roof lining which has totally disintegrated. Some kind of white fabric that tears at the slightest touch and has pretty much gone.

After the tray repair, I'll redo the brakes and steering prior to taking it down for rego here in SA.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Merrick.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #166066 by Merrick
The past week has mainly been about the tray.
As you can see it's pretty badly damaged, and the photos make it look way better than it actually is.

After visiting the local salvage yard I found this bamboo based decking which I'll stain a merbau colour to simulate the jarrah. Jarrah timber would have been preferred, but way out of my budget.

New tray deck, test fit with the old edges temporarily in place

Fitted and screwed in ready for sanding/hole filling.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166069 by Merrick
I tried to have a look at the roof lining. It was so fragile that it pretty much came apart in my hands. It's disintegrated on the way out and the foam(?) that's adhered to the roof is raining brown powder down.

This is all that's left of the roof lining.

And the roof inside

So first question - Is it possible to buy replacement roof linings?
I assume it's the same as Dodge AT4, but not had any luck so far with the online search. Any suggestions?

More
8 years 4 months ago #166070 by Fill
Hi Merrick sorry I cant help with the head lining,but I have a question for you.The bamboo you put on the tray- I see that it is v jointed-is it tongue and groove? Also is each individual board laminated?
By the way I have been watching your resto with interest, keep up the great work and keep the photo's coming.
Cheers Fill

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166071 by Merrick
Hi Fill. Not V jointed alas. I have a slight concern about flex between the planks because of this.
They are coated with something, I've sanded it off the top so it takes the stain better, but not the edges, given the absence of the v joint. I've painted the underneath.

More
8 years 4 months ago #166076 by Sarge
Merrick, have you concluded its a sydney vehicle becuase of the colour???
Because melbourne had Parks & gardens vans in that same colour too.

keep up the work and story.. :)

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #166083 by Merrick

Sarge :-X wrote: Merrick, have you concluded its a sydney vehicle becuase of the colour???
Because melbourne had Parks & gardens vans in that same colour too.
keep up the work and story.. :)

Hi Sarge, partially because of the colour and the previous owner said it originally belonged to Botany Bay Council. Now either he got the council wrong or SCC sold it to BBCouncil (not likely). Anyway it's definitely a Sydney truck.

More
8 years 4 months ago #166084 by Pierre
What a great Reno Merrick, looks fantastic.
I'm in SA & interested in those boards as well. Can you advise which salvage yard has these.
Can I suggest you contact Allan Smith Trim shop at Kilkenny 08-8243 2387.

Allan did all the seats & trim including headling on my MK2 Jaguar & he has done heaps of old trucks as well.
He could supply just the material if you want to install yourself.
Keep up great work
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
8 years 4 months ago #166085 by Merrick
Hey Pierre,

I picked up the boards at:
Adelaide & Rural Salvage
283 Hanson Rd ยท (08) 8345 4799

They have a massive range of recycled floorboards. The good stuff is pretty pricey as you'd expect however.

Thanks for the trim suggestion. :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #166087 by Mrsmackpaul

Merrick wrote: The past week has mainly been about the tray.
As you can see it's pretty badly damaged, and the photos make it look way better than it actually is.

After visiting the local salvage yard I found this bamboo based decking which I'll stain a merbau colour to simulate the jarrah. Jarrah timber would have been preferred, but way out of my budget.

New tray deck, test fit with the old edges temporarily in place

Fitted and screwed in ready for sanding/hole filling.

Looking great only problem I have had when putting wooden floors on a truck tray is when they get wet they swell up and screws and nails out I found the only way to stop this happening was to nut and bolt the boards on maybe something to think about

great job

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds