Skip to main content

Merrick's Inter C1200 renovation

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167479 by Merrick
Thanks all. Kind words.

There's a member of another car club I'm in who's a trimmer (also with a Dodge D5N) who's going to make me up a hoodlining. I'm probably going to go close to original as possible. That one looks ace Spinner.

Next is brakes, It's currently unboosted, but I'd like to change that, when I last drove it the brakes were... amusing?
Any recommendations as to brake boosters and mounting locations and so on? Did they ever come factory with a remote booster?
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Merrick.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167891 by Merrick
Some further progress. Time for brakes. I remember when I test drove the truck the brakes were amusing to say the least. I'm under no illusions they're going to work like my car's, but they have to be able to be better than they are.

First up was a master cylinder rebuild. I'm not sure of the history but it's been resleeved at some stage which was helpful. I had Power Brakes in Adelaide do it.

I then pulled the drums apart. This driver's side was very stubborn and the bearings had to come out first. The wheel cylinders are being rebuilt, however I did freak out a bit as they're $100 a pop for a resleeve! The entire master cylinder was only $140! Alas I've not been able to find new ones except on ebay from the US at a cost of $80 USD each (About $120 AUD plus shipping).

I'm strongly considering boosting it too. Most research points to a VH44 type booster.
After talking to the guys at Powers they recommended their own in house VH44 knock off. I'll probably give it a go. I like how compact it is compared to the remote booster I have in my Ford.

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Merrick.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167899 by asw120
Something oft forgotten is the brake hoses going to the front wheels and the diff. There is a good chance they are still original. New hoses will give you a nice hard (rather than spongy) pedal if you have no air in the system. If you doubt their integrity, best to replace them. They're about $40 each +/- and you'll never have to do them again. New hoses made the world of difference on my Studebaker, after honing, bleeding and adjusting still left me with ordinary brakes (and the rears used to grab). You'd be surprised how much the old ones swell under pressure. (get someone else to push the brakes while you hold the hose)

I think you'll find the brakes quite adequate without boosting, although towing a heavy load in traffic requires planning :)

The bearings come off with the drum, more or less. Sometimes you have to back off the brakes due to the lip on the drum. Automatic adjusters can make that interesting.

Thanks for the updates, and all the best.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
8 years 2 months ago #167902 by Merrick
Hey Jarrod, thanks for the advice. I reckon you're right. I totally screwed one of the hoses trying to get it off the cylinder, so that one is getting replaced but I definitely should do the other two as well.

Cheaper option too. If still awful, then I'll look at a booster.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167906 by oldgmc
If your flexible brake lines aren't the best I'd have a close look at the steel lines too brake fluid attracts water and steel lines rust and stainless steel sleeving is definitely good value these parts aren't common and anyway were only custodians not owners think of the next person who owns your vehicle that's how I look at it

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
8 years 1 month ago #168420 by Merrick
The past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic on the C1200. Brakes reinstalled, and I ended up putting new rubber hoses throughout. Also rebuilt the carby (as per the other thread) and the new plunger made from bits is actually working pretty well.

Today I resprayed the mirrors and front bar, and polished the cab.

And then I got a 3 day permit and took it for it's first test drive in SA and the first drive in over a year.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went, considering it's an old truck. The brakes will take some getting used to, I have to hyper-vigilant as it takes a few metres to stop. Steering wasn't as bad as I expected, and the get up and go was pretty remarkable. Pretty much only used 3rd and 4th gear though. 2nd to start. 1st only to roll up my steep driveway.

Took some pics from the cab whilst parked around the neighbourhood.

Tomorrow I'll aim to get SA rego.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
8 years 1 month ago #168422 by wedgetail84
Wow great work, the paint work looks just too good!

oldgmc wrote: tainless steel sleeving is definitely good value these parts aren't common and anyway were only custodians not owners think of the next person who owns your vehicle that's how I look at it

Problem is they have to know they're sleeved! I recently bought all new cylinders for our old grader as they some leaked and I reckoned they all needed replacing. When I pulled them out and replaced I found they were all SS sleeved, wish I'd known beforehand...

More
8 years 1 month ago #168446 by Merrick
Passed rego today, so new plates and we're on the road!

There's a couple of car shows on Saturday evening I may trundle down to.

More
8 years 1 month ago #168452 by wombat 46
Wow that paint has come up like new!
A great job there, looks fantastic
JIm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merrick

More
8 years 1 month ago #168453 by Mairjimmy
Merrick you had better trundle off to the Saturday's show with your chest out , bloody well done mate. :woohoo: :woohoo:
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merrick

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds