Skip to main content

Merrick's Inter C1200 renovation

More
7 years 5 months ago #176105 by WoodrowPhathom
Absolutely Merrick,

Top Job mate,

I have only yesterday retrieved a thought 'donor' cab, C1200 truck for my current C1300 4wd restoration project. Reckon I am now working on a 4wd C1200 project.

Found this 'forum line' and hopped to help you out per the head lining, as mine is intact, yet figure now, that by page 4 you are well sorted.

FYI. PMG, (Telecom, Telstra) ran a fleet in that same 'green' in Sydney and NSW for decades. I had suspected it a colour or mix, left surplus from WW2. My father having purchased a few PMG vehicles at auction for the family business. I did spend some time wondering about it.
Your truck has turned me around and I can now tolerate if not truly, genuinely like that colour.

Well done Merrick
Woody

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #176351 by Merrick
Hey all. Inter is still going strong and gets out and about a fair bit lately.

However recently I notice that the petrol tank has developed a leak. It's coming from somewhere on the top and leaks worst (of course) when full.

Is there a common fault where C/D line tanks leak?
Are they relatively easy to remove to inspect?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Merrick.

More
7 years 5 months ago #176356 by asw120
Most common is the flexible line from the tank to the fixed line on the chassis. This will eventually give you fuel starvation issues.
The only other thing up there is the sender. I've never had one leak, but they do have a cork gasket which could have dried out and broken.

It's not just the rubber filler line loose, or cracked? You can get to it from inside the cab.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago #176395 by WoodrowPhathom
Top of the Fuel Tank Leak,
Curiouser and curiouser,
Merrick, reckon asw120 has given you 'the good oil'.
Fuel tanks are not tough to drop, from these series: large phillips head, small shiftier (compressing the moving jaw), and clear safety glasses.
Always when working under the truck; I once lost half a day of my life waiting in an Emergency triage of a 'district base' public hospital, with crap in behind my eye.
A half day I shall never get back, and a pain I never again wish to experience.
Oh and it is a lot easier if the tank is near empty, just FYI.
Faithfully Woodie

More
7 years 5 months ago #176423 by Inter van man
Howdy Merrick, my fuel leaks on my D1110 were;

Fuel filler hose was deteriated and miss aligned . New hose was Mackay and 51mm ID. Available at most auto parts stores. New clamps as well.

Flexible fuel line from top of tank to hard line on chassis also deteriated. I used common 5/16 fuel line and the female swivel nut ( with male tail ) from Ryco hydraulic catalogue.

Took tank down and did all the work as slow as I go !!

Sorry no photos, it's all back together and takes 60 odd litres with no petrol smell.

Cheers Inter van man

More
7 years 5 months ago #176492 by Merrick
Hey all thanks for the suggestions.
I've been away but I'll tackle the tank this week I think.
Also, Woody I'm sorry I missed your post, hope your 4x4 doesn't give you much trouble when restoring. Thanks for the offer, but yeah I've since had a pro trimmer make a new headlining. Took him 3 hours go to whoa.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #178820 by Merrick
It was the top rubber hose after all. Took it to local Enzed and they made one up to suit. You're not wrong advising to empty the tank first, I tried to reinstall with 3/4 full still... forget it!

Next question:
Recently the plastic grill surround split after a rather forceful bonnet closure. It had a tiny crack already though. Does anybody have a spare C line grill they'd sell me? Closer to Adelaide the better just to save on damage in transit.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Merrick.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds