Skip to main content

International D1510 diff help

More
7 years 5 months ago #177002 by hemi
Hey guys need some help, i have a 1973 inter D1510, 5 stud 16" wheels, previous owner has fitted a perkins 6.354 diesel and a 4 speed, the problem is it still has a petrol diff and is flat fart at 70kmh, so i need to upgrade the diff, any one know what diff i need to bring the speed up to something respectable? Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #177003 by asw120
If earlier models are any guide, it has a 4.88. (may be 6.16 if it had 20" wheels when new) Fastest ratio was 4.3 on that axle. (ISTBC)
20" wheels will help. I think it would have had 17's when new, 16's probably from Dodge.

Best you check what centre it has now. Should be stamped in casing above the yoke, otherwise the wheel test.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: hemi

More
7 years 5 months ago #177017 by hemi
Replied by hemi on topic International D1510 diff help
Thanks Jarrod, currently it has 16" on the front and 17" on the rear but different tyre profiles even them out. Hoping to get at least 90kmh out of it. I will do a ratio test and see what happens. Do you know what breed the diff would be or are they an inter? Thought about putting a jap diff under it?

More
7 years 5 months ago #177024 by wedgetail84
totally agree for your situation tyre size will be the cheapest and easiest, not 100% on the legalities though. But for example going from 8.25R16 (assuming 34") to 9.00R20 (assuming 40") is equivalent to a 0.85 overdrive. IMO they look wrong with anything smaller than 20" rims too :evil:

More
7 years 5 months ago #177055 by mad_as_hec
Going up to the 7.50x20 tyres would be a legal no-no unless the rear brakes were upgraded too.
14.125"×3" drums for 17" tyres
15"×4" drums for 20" tyres.
Both had RA20 spec axle but 4.30 for smaller tyres, 4.88 for larger.

More
7 years 5 months ago #177056 by Mrsmackpaul

mad_as_hec wrote: Going up to the 7.50x20 tyres would be a legal no-no unless the rear brakes were upgraded too.
14.125"×3" drums for 17" tyres
15"×4" drums for 20" tyres.
Both had RA20 spec axle but 4.30 for smaller tyres, 4.88 for larger.

So could you put the bigger brakes on the 4.3 axle or could put the 4.3 center in the 4.88 ???? and what about the front end do the brakes change with 20 inch wheels ????

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 5 months ago #177057 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic International D1510 diff help
By the time you bought new axle/diff, wheels and tyres you could get a quick fit 6 speed (5 plus overdrive) box out of a 60's Commer and probably others - Inter, Dodge, Bedford??. Will just bolt up to the 6/354 and a very nice synchro box to use.

Lang

More
7 years 5 months ago #177085 by asw120
Interesting about the brakes. IIRC, an AB150 had the same brakes, whether 17, or 20" wheels. I'll have to go through the later books and do some learning!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #177137 by Inter van man
Hello Hemi & fellow readers, I can not resist the opportunity to point out that I have advertised a 4.3 diff and other parts on this site back at the beginning of October, it may help! Most parts have come off the D1510 pictured.
Apologies in advance if I have over stepped the protocols of this forum

Cheers Inter van man

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by bparo. Reason: inserted photo

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds