Skip to main content

In-line diesel fuel return restrictor??

More
6 years 4 months ago #189669 by Lang
I think it also caters for fuel expansion on hot days. We have all seen fuel pouring out of a fuel tank when it is filled to the brim - or bulging jerry cans.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189753 by Dave_64
Thanks for the chop out guys. roKWiz, any chance you may have ,a copy of just the fuel tank and supply/return line diagram you could post, or send in a P/M? Picked up new fuel lines and tank strap rubbers, will bolt them in next cupla days. Fuel restrictor obviously goes in vent line as been noted here, vent line itself could have gone to some sort of canister, had some sort of hat on it,or even returned to the pump somehow, though can't find any left over lines unused. Will just leave the vent line swinging in the breeze to start the engine for time being, have tofind out where it goes later though. Dave

More
6 years 4 months ago #189754 by hayseed

Dave_64 wrote: , vent line itself could have gone to some sort of canister, . Dave

If it had a petrol Motor It would've went to the Charcoal Canister..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189762 by roKWiz
Dave, Here's a pic of the vent line set up on my Ford Trader same truck as Mazda T with HA XA SL ZB Perkins Mazda diesels.
This line is normally tucked behind the round diesel filter shown but the inline valve is closest to the tank opening, all four trucks are like this oldest 89 newest 92. Noted in my manuals as a evaporative line which just hangs down behind the sediment filter shown.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by roKWiz.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189771 by Dave_64
Great stuff, roKWiz, much appreciated, Thanks!
Dave_64

More
5 years 11 months ago #193068 by Dave_64
roKWiz,
Had another look at your diagram and photos, looks the same set up.
Bumped into a bloke who had one of the Mazda T4100's pulled up on the side of the road and asked if I could have a quick squiz, he said, "Yeah, but I don't know anything about 'em, only drive it!"
Couldn't ask him to jack the shed up to get a better look, but there are two (2) lines that come out of that canister and are piped up along side the gearbox/engine on the passenger side and then lost sight of them.
My tank didn't have that canister set up still on it, but the shield was there, so figure it was removed for some reason. Looking at both your posts and what I saw this morning, looks to me like the breather (with that small sliding ball valve) comes out of the TOP of the tank, goes to the canister mounted behind that shield and then as I said, goes to the engine somewhere. Trying to work out just what that canister does, figure it must collect vapour/any excess fuel in that line, has a drain plug on the bottom of it, say it would be to drain it every so often. Has a wire going to the top of it must be some sort of contact switch, maybe simply to fire some sort of warning light on the dash to remind you to drain it???
Looks like it should be connected, at the moment mine just tucked down between the tank and chassis rail and every now and then maybe a few drops run down if engine idles for a while. Seems to be working OK, you can hear a faint hiss after the engine has been shut down, vent the cap and it stops, so figure the little ball valve doing it's job.
Your diagram you posted, looks the same as mine, but it doesn't show just where it goes to after the engine/trans??
Any help would be appreciated, from anyone.
Thanks, Dave

More
5 years 11 months ago #193073 by ray
The canister on the tank is most likely a water trap and the wire attached to it is connected to a warning light on the dash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, roKWiz

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #193106 by roKWiz
Yes, canister is a fuel filter / water trap with a bottom drain tap. warning light on dash reminds you to drain water.
Extra pipe does not connect to engine and is vented to atmosphere with an inline valve. Similar to having a vented tank cap I guess which some Mazda buses have.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by roKWiz.

More
5 years 11 months ago #193109 by JOHN.K.
The atmosphere vent should have a breather or mesh so that insects cant block it up.The injector pump will pull a high enough vacuum to collapse the tank.

More
5 years 11 months ago #193118 by roKWiz

JOHN.K. wrote: The atmosphere vent should have a breather or mesh so that insects cant block it up.The injector pump will pull a high enough vacuum to collapse the tank.

Should have but none of mine have them, factory manual shows no mesh or breather either.

Heritage Stonemason

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds