Skip to main content

5 Spoke spiders V 6 Spoke Spiders

More
5 years 5 months ago #196897 by Linz1607
Hi guys, I have 6 spoke spiders on the front on my 1977 K125' I have seen 5 spoke spiders also
fitted to some of these early model Kenworths. What was the change from 5 to 6 based on. I.e. Was it a different manufacturer, on was there a problem with the 5's.? And finally are the brake drums the same size between the two?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #196904 by Aussiehooker
the 5 spoke were the early ones 6 spoke were able to carry more weight // by changing to a lighter spider you will be altering your compliance /you stand the chance of not bieng able to redgister your truck -its like an eh holden standard drum brakes you can fit hr disc brakes because your improving the standards however you cant go backwards cheers don
The following user(s) said Thank You: Linz1607

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 5 months ago #196905 by Swishy
Thinkn
5 spoke for runn n Hwy n legal weight loads
6 spoke for off road n where potholes & corrigations live
6 spokes spread the pound n weight better than 5 spoke
have known with 5 spoke n light weight 2 piece rim the wheel tyre rim is slightky outa round and can only go back on spoke the same way it was removed
horses for courses
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 5 months ago #196916 by Sarge
just to add a cloud to the murky waters, my mighty single axle ACCO 6.2m tray rated at 16.5 tonne.... long story, now 15, anyway, she has six spoke spiders on the front. I have done lotsa looking n perving and see a completely random approach to inters and Atkinsons have either 5 or 6 spokes front, and can only assume Mr International had a box of assorted front axles and depended on the day of the week and his wifes favourite colour which ones got fitted where. Little sort trays/tippers, prime movers, bodgie drives and serious highway units, no obvious rule.... but that might just be Inters.

Rough roads makes sense Mr Swishenheimer.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
5 years 5 months ago #196918 by JOHN.K.
The older Inters had the 6 spoke IH front,when they changed over to Rockwell front axles,the wheels were 5 spoke........As mentioned ,the 5 spoke rears generally force the rims out of round......six spoke dont..............incidentally IH had 8 spoke rears on the heavy duty Eaton double reduction axle ( the herringbone gears axle)

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #196925 by BillyP
On the early Kwikasair KWs , the 5 spoke front spiders suffered with cracking near the area where the brake drum retaining bolts were located,
no problems with the six spoke (as I recall) ……. The 5 spoke rears (as well as the out of round situation ) also suffered with the back taper
cracking, and or. breaking off, caused mainly by over tightening I think...…………..
As for the drums …… 5 mounting holes verses 6 holes...……..
……………………..Billy...…………………..

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by BillyP.

More
5 years 5 months ago #196932 by werkhorse
I believe in the KWs the 5 spoke were 5 Ton axles and 6 spoke 5.5 ton ... Or around that anyway ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds