Skip to main content

Rego Time for Lorry

More
5 years 1 month ago #199509 by cobbadog
Rego Time for Lorry was created by cobbadog
Lorry is our 1991 FC144 Hino rated at 9500GVM since being cut to having a beaver tail. Well he is up for rego again and this year I thought I would get stuff done before the MAN decided it had to be done.
Ha had a crack in the floor under one of the drivers seat bolts so I plated it top and bottom and welded it all round so that will not fail any test a fat arse can do. then I redone the insulation under the floor to aid in heat shielding and noise suppression and all these things went well. Then I thought about a service for him before we go into town. Ordered the filters in and had the oil ready to go.
Oh boy look at the air filter canister, it is stuffed! So off it came and out with the cutters and fresh steel and got to welding it up. I thought about making it look real pretty by grinding the welds back and using some fillers etc but then I had a strong talk with myself and said, WHY? So once welded up a quick rub back of the old layers of paint and fresh one over the top. I'm working on claiming that they are 'battle scars' and deserve to be there. There was almost as much rust at the top as the bottom so it got the same treatment. There was also a small drainage section at the bottom of the canister that had all but gone so I squashed a section of 50mm exhaust pipe, cut and shaped it over to do the same job but this one wont rust out in a hurry.
Now the new filter will keep dry and actually work as designed and Monday is his check up day.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fill, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, roKWiz

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199517 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Rego Time for Lorry
Nice work, yes some of those Jap truck ones rust just looking at them.
During summer, I was getting leaves stuck down around the filter canisters so I removed the bottom tray bit and let the filter suck air directly from around the back of the left wheel instead, It actually stops little black smoke puffs I was occasional getting as I reckon its matched the air fuel ratio better at the intake. (my fuel pump has a slight rack adjustment) Come winter I stick that bottom tray back on and let it breath through the snorkel.

In my case it definitely breath better with it off. Obviously, Its usually a little louder off and the filter does require more frequent cleans/changes.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
5 years 1 month ago #199518 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Rego Time for Lorry
Cheers, thanks for the tip. I think with the bold welding left in place it makes Lorry look tougher, his "trade mark" so to speak.
So far Lorry has no black smoke out of his chimney under load or at any other time. Whether this is because it was and is well maintained or never driven hard I don't know but with the paper element in the canister I don't like the idea of driving around with the bottom lid off as it will get wet because it sits right behind the left front wheel and mud flap.
Now its a case of waiting for Monday to come around and go through the steps of rego.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fill

More
5 years 1 month ago #199568 by cobbadog
As expected Lorry passed his medic and is clear to drive around for another 12 months. Mr Inspector looked hard at his front number plate and went inside to look at the rules. Once studied he informed me that it might be a good idea to replace the plate as it has faded. Well if our state government didn't cut costs years ago with using cheap paint I wouldn't have the problem. But he said if a man in a white car with coloured lights is in a bad mood I might get pinged for it.
So as I was off the pay the rego I thought order the new plates now. Well the now called RMS claimed I can no longer have yellow and black plates on a 9500GVM vehicle I have to change them over to heavy vehicle plates. BUGGA! I like the old plates on Lorry but it appears I have little choice in the matter. So soon I will have to unbolt the old plates and take them in and come home with some other unwanted plates.

Maybe this is along the lines of "manure happens".

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199569 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rego Time for Lorry
You can buy cans of paint in any colour at Bunnings for about $4! A roll of masking tape and twenty minutes with a razor blade on the kitchen table and Voila!
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Lang.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199581 by cobbadog
I have been thinking about doing just that, paint the thing. Not sure of the NSW rules n regs about doing this legally. The masking tape and razors are stock items around here and I would even buy some pinstriping tape for the border.

Does anyone know if it is legal to paint these yellow and black plates?

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199585 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Rego Time for Lorry
I know it is illegal to deface a plate in NSW.

Would applying paint be defacing the plate?

Not sure I would like to test that out as the fine could be over $600.00 plus 3 points for a Heavy Vehicle

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199604 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Rego Time for Lorry
If you do a neat paint job then put number plate covers on it will be fine.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199605 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Rego Time for Lorry
I think defacing a plate rule is aimed at people making them unreadable or trying to alter the number.

A bloke tidying up his old plates, if done neatly is pretty unlikely to be pinged and if he was they probably would just tell you to go pay $25 for a replacement set.

Lang

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #199610 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Rego Time for Lorry

cobbadog wrote: Well the now called RMS claimed I can no longer have yellow and black plates on a 9500GVM vehicle I have to change them over to heavy vehicle plates..

www.nhvr.gov.au/road-access/registration...heavy-vehicle-plates

Time to create page: 0.525 seconds