Skip to main content

Old Butterbox AACO, What year is it? Where is chassis Number

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199759 by stepto and son
Gday.
We just brought this old Butterbox of Facebook, Its surprisingly in decent condition and its a lot better then it looks in the photos.
Were curious if we can date when it was made, and also where is chassis number stamped on chassis?
Were gonna need the usual parts. like brake masters and slaves and clutch masters and slaves etc. where is the best place to obtain and do the parts change for different years?

its 345 with a 2 barrel Holley. 5 speed box with the split diff. what economy should we be expecting?
Cheers
Gav

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199762 by JOHN.K.
I would say its 1963 or 64............it has the same fibreglass bonnet as the army Mk 3.......mileage ....around 6mpg.carrying 8 ton.is what I used to get............the fibreglass bonnet gives very easy access to the battery and brake and clutch cylindrs,and is way better than the later tin lid.............the clutch cylinders are standard ally PBR,and you can find them on ebay for a few dollars new..............I suggest you get the brake cylinders lined,the booster will be problematic,its a PBR VH 90,and I would replace it with a jap truck unit..................the 1840s have a good big drum handbrake ,make sure it works.......sooner or later ,you will need it..
The following user(s) said Thank You: stepto and son

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199765 by 180wannabe
G'day Gav,

I would suggest 1965 or 66. The 6 cylinder petrol 182 i had was chassis #4775, and was supposedly 1966. I think the model ran from 1964-67.

You should find the chassis number on the outside face of the left hand chassis rail, about 12" back from the bumper bar, toward the top, and just behind where the full depth of the chassis starts. It will have the word AACO stamped in, then the number underneath that. Each letter/number is about 5/8" of an inch in height, so it should be fairly easy to find.

I recommend Power Brakes at Gilles Plains in Adelaide. I have had a fair few dealings with them and found them to be excellent, especially with older stuff. They had an exchange brake master cylinder on the shelf for my CD1820, and only a few weeks ago i rang them and ordered a kit for the clutch master cylinder for my ACCOD 1820, and had it here in my letter box in under 24 hours. Maybe check out their website.

Nice find by the way!

Brett.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199766 by JOHN.K.
180 wb........whats the situation with VH 90 s now.......last time I bought parts the stuff was PBR made in Bangla Desh,and the rubber was rubbish,diaphragm tore in short order,and the piston retainer pin was undersized ,and locked up the whole brake system..........brake fail,but hard pedal............anyway,I wont drive any truck without a dual line brake system.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199771 by JOHN.K.
This is one of the best trucks IHA ever made ,should be a T54 box,13" clutch,and a No 4 Eaton diff 6.5 ratio in hi..............a few years later they went right off the rail;s with unreliable rubbish components like the T253 gearbox,and 2sp Rockwell diffs............not to mention Neuess motors.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #199775 by 180wannabe
I'm not sure about boosters John, i haven't had to fix one yet. I reckon i remember reading something once about what can be used as a successor to the VH90, but i don't remember now what it was. I would have to do some research before i could comment on that, and/or be guided by what repair parts Power Brakes have or can get, or what type of replacement unit they would recommend.

Brett.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds