Skip to main content

Pre 1970 Chev Trucks

More
4 years 9 months ago #201623 by Dave_64
Pre 1970 Chev Trucks was created by Dave_64
Trying to find someone who may have run say 1968-1972 Chevvy "C" trucks and may still remember a bit about them. Yeah, I know, getting on 50 odd years ago now, hopefully someone may have an old parts book kicking around.
I recently picked up an Australian Chevvy original (GMH publication) parts manual, goes up as far as the C50 and C60 models, (strange how they only came out with 292 cu-in sixes???) yet transmissions were either 4 speed with two speed diff, five speed with/without two speed diff (what? No V8's??).
Haven't got the listings I want for the lighter C10/20/30 transmissions I'm after, either 3 on the tree, SM465 or auto slosh boxes. No listings whatsoever for the versions that came out with the New Process 4 speed trans. (1968-1972)
Overseas forums, although trying to be helpful, having a tough time nailing them down as well.
Seems to be some conjecture as to whether we ever even used them over here. Seems also Chevvy /GMC over in the states used the earlier SM420 transmission for many years across the range, used the NP435 for the period 1968-1972 ONLY, reverted back to their own later SM465 for the next 20 odd years.
Also found that we were sometimes 12-18 months behind them (US/Canada) when it came to year models, also a lot of stuff coming in here for local assembley was often considered obsolete, making us a bit of a dumping ground. (and anyone who bought a VK Holden with that mongrel half electronic fuel injection system with the ugliest looking intake manifold devised by man, could attest to!).
But I digress, was after someone who may recall these early Chevvy's I mentioned.
Cheers, Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201624 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
Small carrier worked for mid 70's had C60 in the fleet. On gas.
Never drove it, remember motor small in proportion to the truck.
Gave good service on a daily country run. More economical than
the 318 V8 Dodge on the same run.
Happy hunting, Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 9 months ago #201628 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
i remember quite few of them had the 250 motor,quite hard to get parts for........I also remember they were worth very little because they had a different cab and guards to the C10 ute.........The 292 s were just a glorified red motor and couldnt hack it in a Bedford ,not a patch on the proper 300 petrol.....dont recall the 4 sp box,the Bedfords had the 5 speed Turner.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201630 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
What do you neef to know
Had a C60 and C50

Both rubbish and guttless
C50 was a lot lighter than the C60 thinner rails, banjo housing, 5 stud front axle and smaller brakes

C60 had a 5 speed and some had a 2 speed diff, depending on what one you had

They couldn't carry full load very well, or as well as IH or Dodge of similar size as the springs were very soft and there was lots of body roll

Or at least that's what I found

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, roKWiz

More
4 years 9 months ago #201632 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
If you have an Aussie parts book they won't be in there as they were never sold here.
GMH didn't sell Chev commercials here from roughly 1959 until the mid 70's.
Apparently the last of them near 1980ish did have a V8 option.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 9 months ago #201634 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
Jarrod,
Yep, that ties in with what the bloke who got me the book said, not age or model specific but would seem to cover from about 1972-73 on, definitely a GMH publication, Thanks.
Dave

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201685 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
Just removed a Three Saginaw from a 1970 C10, Aussie models were limited to NP 4SPD AND 5SPD boxes although near the end the Silverados came out with the 350 ci engine and turbo 350, if you want parts The filling station Lebanon Oregon or Tim Tygarts Obselete parts

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by oldgmc.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201774 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
My ol man bought a new C60 Luton peak furniture pan back in 77, (think I might have tracked it down to country Victoria) I can remember the 292 and 4 speed as it looked like an oversized Holden 202 he had in the HX around the same time.
I think the wind was its greatest enemy.

Still have the price list he gave me.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201781 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
No wonder air con is so rare to find in a Kingswood. Look at the price compared to 1970s wages....

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by asw120.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201794 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Pre 1970 Chev Trucks
I wonder how the price compared to say Dodge or D line inter of the time ??

They really werent much of a truck I thought they looked the part though

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds