Skip to main content

What is best to seal new metalwork?

More
4 years 8 months ago #202693 by ashmenz0
Hi folks
I’m replacing a few of the steel structures in our 1973 Denning bus. Mainly those that are behind the outer sheet and the bin doors.
Just wondering what products you suggest as the best to deal against future rust etc?
Thanks
Ash

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 8 months ago #202694 by Swishy

Septone Deodorised Fish Oil is a deodorised corrosion preventative designed to inhibit the formation of rust in internal box sections, door cavities, sills and pillars of motor vehicles, as well as on structural steel, railings, gates, bridges, pontoons and for the protection of welds. Fish Oil has long been considered to be one of the most effective products for rust prevention. Fish Oil penetrates through rust to give the parent metal protection from further rusting. However, note that Fish Oil is not a rust converter. For badly rusted areas, apply a rust converter prior to applying Fish Oil.

Thanx Mr Google

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #202696 by Gryphon
Hi,

if you can find it a product called Xtroll Rust Conquerer, but is may have a new name now, is something I like to use or there is a similar product called POR15. They dry hard and non-fish smell and like Swishy said they are not rust converters, they just seal the metal and/or rust from water and air to stop it getting any worse. It looks like a varnish, mostly clear when it dries.

One thing to watch for is the next coat of paint needs to be tested as it can react to 2 packs and some acrylics if you don't have an isolating coat between them.

Just picking up on a later remark by IHScout. The two products I mention above only work on bare metal, can't be used over the top of anything else.

Terry
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gryphon.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202700 by Blackduck59
If it is behind panels or out of sight, Septone also make cavity wax. Goes on a bit like grease and stays soft.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 8 months ago #202706 by cobbadog
If it is in areas that wont be painted or inside sills and doors a mate of mine who spent his working life driving on the beach for pipis, worms and mullet runs. His Landrover would be on the beach every day and sometimes twice. He used to mix the deoderised fish oil with ormanoid and lannox oil in equal parts then heat and stir it to mix it together and when cooled he would fill up his body shultz spray gun and go mad underneath. It took about 8 years under those harsh conditions to finally find a bit of rust in one of the out rigger chasis parts but maybe the rust was there before he treated. Over the same period of time I saw other fisherman doing the same work dump their vehicles after 3 years on the beach and not washing them off. The stuff works really well but you do need a clean surface to start with but as you have mentioned you are talking about new steel.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 8 months ago #202718 by ashmenz0
Thanks guys
Some great suggestions there for me to consider and source product.
I appreciate your thoughts and help.
Cheers
Ash

More
4 years 8 months ago #202730 by IHScout
Before you do anything, you should coat the new steel with a good weld-thru-primer like this one. This will ensure that surfaces which are inaccessible will have at least a basic level of protection. After that, go hard with any of the above suggestions.

Dennis

More
4 years 8 months ago #202754 by dno
2k epoxy primer.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds